All Things Amir Coffey Thread - UPDTAED: A Gophers Commit!

Man, it's crazy how much top end talent this state is producing over the next few years. Perfect timing for Pitino.

I'm not worried about losing Amir, like previous posters states no one willing goes to Marist over a big ten school and I know Stanford and Duke have had successful women's programs on top of being excellent academic schools. NW, Harvard and Princeton are also elite academic institutions. As for Amir, his dad played for the U and Novak seems to have a track record of sending talent to the U. I can't think of a Hopkins guy that we wanted and didn't get.

I'm not worried about losing Amir, like previous posters states no one willing goes to Marist over a big ten school and I know Stanford and Duke have had successful women's programs on top of being excellent academic schools. NW, Harvard and Princeton are also elite academic institutions. As for Amir, his dad played for the U and Novak seems to have a track record of sending talent to the U. I can't think of a Hopkins guy that we wanted and didn't get.

+1

Would love to see Amir and Brock come over in the 2016 class. Amir has pretty good size at 6'5" as a freshman. His dad was at least 6'8" but with a broader frame. if Amir could play shooting guard and reach 6'8" by his senior year, whe will be a force.

I would love to see what he could do with Jarvis Johnson at the point.

Plus Vaughn as a junior guard, plus Ellenson, Illikainen, Travis and Bertram as bigs. Gotta think big!

Would love to see Amir and Brock come over in the 2016 class. Amir has pretty good size at 6'5" as a freshman. His dad was at least 6'8" but with a broader frame. if Amir could play shooting guard and reach 6'8" by his senior year, whe will be a force.

I would love to see what he could do with Jarvis Johnson at the point.

Plus Vaughn as a junior guard, plus Ellenson, Illikainen, Travis and Bertram as bigs. Gotta think big!

Richard has never been close to 6-8 in his life, let alone "at least 6-8." His NBA page online lists him at 6-6, which means he was probably closer to 6-5. His tenacity, heart and determination made him a more valuable rebounder than most 6-9 guys and I wouldn't have traded him for anyone on the glass. If he was 6-8+ he would have had a much longer NBA career.

Amir is also not 6-5 right now. No way. He's listed at 6-4 and is probably closer to 6-2, maybe 6-3, with the potential to grow more.

Go Gophers!!

Amir is starting to get up there (would have no problem calling him 6'4"), but he is expected to be 6'7" to 6'8".

Already with ridiculous length and knows how to use it (steals, passing lanes and PASSING).

Very special player.

True on Richard, though.. he didn't have the height of a big-time rebounding forward, but his determination and strength overcame that. Amir is going to be taller.

That's impressive if Amir is 6-5 already. If he can fill out his frame a bit and have the lateral quickness to stay at SG, he'll be big time national recruit, as it appears he already is progressing into.

Go Gophers!!

Richard has never been close to 6-8 in his life, let alone "at least 6-8." His NBA page online lists him at 6-6, which means he was probably closer to 6-5. His tenacity, heart and determination made him a more valuable rebounder than most 6-9 guys and I wouldn't have traded him for anyone on the glass. If he was 6-8+ he would have had a much longer NBA career.

Amir is also not 6-5 right now. No way. He's listed at 6-4 and is probably closer to 6-2, maybe 6-3, with the potential to grow more.

Go Gophers!!

I googled Richard Coffey and you are right, listed on several locations as 6'6". Dang I remember him being much bigger than that.

USA Basketball: Amir Coffey Hopes To Make USA Basketball A Family Affair

“It would mean the world,” Amir said of his quest to make the USA U16 team. “It tells you how hard you are working and that your hard work is paying off. It would mean so much. It’s only 12 players that get selected, and they started from like 30 players, so it would mean a lot.”

Fortunately, the entire Coffey family has a wealth of experience from which to draw. Amir’s father, Richard Coffey, played basketball at the University of Minnesota and with the NBA’s Minnesota Timberwolves. His oldest sister, Sydney, is a rising sophomore who plays basketball at Marist College, and Nia is on her way to Northwestern University in the fall.

“That would be amazing (if we both made a team),” Nia said. “Just being two family members on a USA team would be absolutely unheard of. So, that would be really cool. I hope that happens.”

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u16/13_mu16_tr_camp_features_coffey.html

Go Gophers!!

I know he's young, but I'm still surprised he isn't talked about more on here.

I agree. He's legit right now and also projects even higher when you look ahead a couple of years. Oh well.. give it a little time and more eyes will be opened. Huge fan of his game.

And whatever happens with USA Basketball this time... he's already had the mini-camp in October and now he's out there again.. that is big time experience. Obviously would be great to get to compete against other countries, but he should also take a lot of pride in what's he's already accomplished.

Bright, bright future.

And the best part is that he's the son of a former 4-year Gopher favorite who stayed local. It's obviously way early, but as a fan you've got to feel rock solid about Coffey coming to the U when it's all said and done.

And the best part is that he's the son of a former 4-year Gopher favorite who stayed local. It's obviously way early, but as a fan you've got to feel rock solid about Coffey coming to the U when it's all said and done.

Why say that? His sister completely ignored the program to go to Northwestern. Why would he suddenly have some allegiance to us?

And Amir is a great player, but he does need to add some strength to his frame to be more effective than starting for Hopkins and sitting for basically the rest of the game after his first shift or two. It'll happen over the years though, so it's really not that big of an issue.

Why say that? His sister completely ignored the program to go to Northwestern. Why would he suddenly have some allegiance to us?

And Amir is a great player, but he does need to add some strength to his frame to be more effective than starting for Hopkins and sitting for basically the rest of the game after his first shift or two. It'll happen over the years though, so it's really not that big of an issue.

i do think that there is a better chance of the gophers landing amir then they had with Nia coffey, or was her name rachael? anyways i would say she would value an education more then amir since WNBA is less deisirable then the NBA and women's college basketball is more of an amatuer sport with more emphasis on education while men's college basketball is almost professional so where he plays is more important if he is in to fame and attention because you actually get that in the men's game, and the fans here would want amir to stay and would love it if he stayed more so then Nia if she would have committed to the gophers

who do you guys think would win in 2 on 2? jarvis and iowa state bound Tyseana Johnson or amir and northwestern bound Nia coffey?

It because we have to many (insert insult) with blinders on for the Big Thrizzel.

If you want to talk local guys, time to focus on the 'Superb Six'; Reid, Vaughn, Coffey, Jarvis, Henry & Alex.

Sensational
Select
Super
Stupendous
Spectacular
Sizzling
Smashing Six"

Lots of tweets that Coffey had a monster weekend.

@davetelep: Im a lucky dog. Walk long enough to see 2016 Justin Jackson vs Amir Coffey

@BSnowScout: Amir Coffey and Justin Jackson, wow some impressive 2016's

Go Gophers!!

I suspect that the Coffey girls going to other schools may be more of a reflection on what Dad thinks about Pam Borton.

I suspect that the Coffey girls going to other schools may be more of a reflection on what Dad thinks about Pam Borton.

Agree. However, the unknown is how he feels about Pitino. If Pitino can be ok in year one, make a step forward in year two and in year three really make some great strides, I'm talking like top 4 in B1G good, then it will not be a problem I'm sure.

I suspect that the Coffey girls going to other schools is a reflection of:

1) Sydney not being good enough to get a Big Ten offer, given that she's playing for Marist.

2) Nia wanting to go to an elite academic school, given that her five finalists were Northwestern, Duke, Harvard, Princeton, and Stanford. This theory is further supported by her statements that she is probably going to major in mechanical engineering, a field that doesn't house many athletes of either gender.

It's difficult to ascertain from his daughters' recruitments what Richard Coffey thinks of the U and/or either basketball program, given that the Gophers weren't involved in either recruitment in any meaningful way.

1) Sydney wasn't good enough to play high major ball. So the U wasnt even involved in her recruitment.
2) Nia's decision was academically based, as she doesnt look to want to play WNBA ball even though the potential is there. She is very smart.

*Look for Amir to move up into the top 25 on ESPN and Rivals the next time the rankings come out!

I'm glad to hear we are going to offer Amir once the dead period is over, love that we are getting aggressive as there is clearly no reason to wait on a stud like him.

Congratulations to Amir on his continued success. He has a ton of talent and has a chance to be an incredible talent if he continues to gain strength and improve his game. He will be fun to watch in the next couple years. I hope he eventually wears maroon and gold like his dad did. Richard was one of my favorite Gophers. He didn't have the talent Amir does, but he out worked everyone.

I think we have a pretty good shot at Amir. He has stated in interviews it would be a big deal to follow in his dad's footsteps at the U.

@darrenwolfson: Told Pitino is hopeful to be in Bloomington for the big event on Saturday. Can see Hopkins' 2016 Amir Coffey, then make an offer. #gophers

Go Gophers!!

Doogie tweet: 90 sec into Amir Coffey's game here in Bloomington: 2 dunks/nasty block. Said pregame Dr. told him this week he'll be 6'9". MN offer coming.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom