All Things Amir Coffey Thread - UPDTAED: A Gophers Commit!

STrib: A look at 2016 recruit Amir Coffey, part one: the next phase

"We probably heard from 25 to 30 coaches on Sunday," said Richard, who is no stranger to the fuss, having played at the University of Minnesota from 1986 to 1990 before a brief stint with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Coaches from Kansas, North Carolina, Indiana, Iowa State, Purdue and Miami were among the callers, as well as, of course, Minnesota's Richard Pitino, who has made a clear early effort in showing interest.

"Amir has a unique skill set. He is officially 6-7 and he's really a combo guard," said Richard Coffey, who at 6-6 played small forward and occasionally center at Minnesota. "The decision to where Amir goes to college is going to be drastically different than what the decision was for where I went to school. For Amir it's going to be what schools are looking to play a big guard. I want Amir to play some point, I think Amir can play some point."

To prove to schools he's serious, and to attempt to filter out the coaches who simply tell him what he wants to hear, the elder Coffey is requesting game tape from as many contests from each school. He wants to see whether the program consistently plays big guards at the point guard and shooting guard positions -- he believes that if they don't, they won't change for Amir. He wants to see the coach's style -- he believes his son would best flourish in a freer, faster-paced offense. He wants to see how much a team moves the ball -- he believes his son's passing ability should be fully utilized.

Those criteria are non-negotiable.

"If schools are considering him as a three, they're probably not going to make it too far in the process with us," Coffey said. "Because he's not a 3. The best part of Amir's game, to me, is something that can't really be taught: his ability to see the court."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/264254361.html#lqtWqodBbzwdEAKi.97

Go Gophers!!

Wow. Looks like we better put Buggs at point!

"We probably heard from 25 to 30 coaches on Sunday," said Richard, who is no stranger to the fuss, having played at the University of Minnesota from 1986 to 1990 before a brief stint with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Coaches from Kansas, North Carolina, Indiana, Iowa State, Purdue and Miami were among the callers, as well as, of course, Minnesota's Richard Pitino, who has made a clear early effort in showing interest.

"Amir has a unique skill set. He is officially 6-7 and he's really a combo guard," said Richard Coffey, who at 6-6 played small forward and occasionally center at Minnesota. "The decision to where Amir goes to college is going to be drastically different than what the decision was for where I went to school. For Amir it's going to be what schools are looking to play a big guard. I want Amir to play some point, I think Amir can play some point."

To prove to schools he's serious, and to attempt to filter out the coaches who simply tell him what he wants to hear, the elder Coffey is requesting game tape from as many contests from each school. He wants to see whether the program consistently plays big guards at the point guard and shooting guard positions -- he believes that if they don't, they won't change for Amir. He wants to see the coach's style -- he believes his son would best flourish in a freer, faster-paced offense. He wants to see how much a team moves the ball -- he believes his son's passing ability should be fully utilized.

"If schools are considering him as a three, they're probably not going to make it too far in the process with us," Coffey said. "Because he's not a 3. The best part of Amir's game, to me, is something that can't really be taught: his ability to see the court."

Go Gophers!!

This could work out well for the Gophers. Pitino wants multiple guys who can run things and wants to run.

Can someone explain this obsession for players to always play "down" to smaller positions? It seems like centers always want to be a PF, PF's want to play SF, and now a SF wants to play PG. It seems like the only time players move "up" to bigger positions is when there is a scarcity of players on their team at that position. Can anyone explain, or am I just seeing things?

Go Gophers!!

Well, $hit... If Coffey is truly sticking to his guns here, playing a 6-4 Austin/Carlos Morris at the 3, 5-9 Mathieu at the point, and 6-1 Andre Hollins at SG is certainly going to hurt our chances.

I feel a bit disappointed in that interview with Richard Coffey. I understand a dad wants the best situation for his kid, and I understand not leaving a decision this important completely in the hands of his 16-year old son. But boy...he certainly came off as demanding, didn't he? I totally see why some coaches dread this part of the job - sitting on living room couches listening to parents issue lists of demands.

Well, $hit... If Coffey is truly sticking to his guns here, playing a 6-4 Austin/Carlos Morris at the 3, 5-9 Mathieu at the point, and 6-1 Andre Hollins at SG is certainly going to hurt our chances.

That's what I thought too. I mean, how the hell is Pitino supposed to send game tape of a 6-6 guard when his starters in year 1 (and year 2) were 5-9 and 6-2? Does that screw us because those are the players he had to play with? Does it hurt that Nate Mason is only 6-1? Does it help that Squirrel is 6-5? There has to be a level of confidence that the coaching staff is imaginative enough to figure out how to put Amir in the best possible position to be successful. That's really what we have to fall back on at this point in time.

hahhaahahahaa

Not sure why you're laughing so hard. Skinny guys often look longer than they are. It's an optical illusion. I was going to respond with that, but thought he may have meant "with how skinny he is, he looked longer." Wanted to see what he meant before I disagreed. Maybe there is a joke in there that went over my head.

Amir Coffey has great vision and I honestly think he could play point guard in the Big Ten. Him and Nate Mason could be a good combo actually. Have Nate defend the other teams point guard, but play as the 2 on offense since he is a scorer anyway while you run the offense through Amir. If I was Pitino, I would try to sell that idea to Mr. Coffey.

That's what I thought too. I mean, how the hell is Pitino supposed to send game tape of a 6-6 guard when his starters in year 1 (and year 2) were 5-9 and 6-2? Does that screw us because those are the players he had to play with? Does it hurt that Nate Mason is only 6-1? Does it help that Squirrel is 6-5? There has to be a level of confidence that the coaching staff is imaginative enough to figure out how to put Amir in the best possible position to be successful. That's really what we have to fall back on at this point in time.

Exactly. I mean, Pitino isn't one to mislead a player or recruit at all, and he's flat out honest with his guys. If he gives the elder Coffey his word that he would play Amir at guard, then there's no reason why Coffey shouldn't believe Pitino. It's not like Pitino can help the fact that 2 of our backcourt players were Tubby's guys, and the only guard to commit to us in 2013 was a 5-9 JUCO.

I feel a bit disappointed in that interview with Richard Coffey. I understand a dad wants the best situation for his kid, and I understand not leaving a decision this important completely in the hands of his 16-year old son. But boy...he certainly came off as demanding, didn't he? I totally see why some coaches dread this part of the job - sitting on living room couches listening to parents issue lists of demands.

This was my first thought too. He sounded entirely too involved.

It isn't like he won't have quality bigs when Amir arrives. Pitino brought in some real athletic bigs that will fit his system. The Coffeys and us all will see that this year even though they are young.

This was my first thought too. He sounded entirely too involved.

That also might be good for us. Don't forget he is a past gopher. I still feel Papa Coffey will want his son to follow in his steps.

Wow. Looks like we better put Buggs at point!

I was just thinking the same thing. Wanting a team willing to give him a shot at PG is one thing. Demanding that the team 'prove it' by having someone a similar size in the PG role is going to eliminate almost everyone, no?

That also might be good for us. Don't forget he is a past gopher. I still feel Papa Coffey will want his son to follow in his steps.

I definitely wouldn't be able to complain too much if Amir ultimately chooses the Gophers, but I'd still rather his father let him make the choice entirely for himself.

Not really? But back to Coffey in my mind I've always viewed him as our wing of the future. In Pitino's system the "2" and "3" are interchangeable, heck in a perfect world you can throw the PG in as well. Hoiberg had Royce White bring up the ball at times I am sure Pitino would love a 6'6" - 6'7" "Guard". I've always had the impression Pitino and his staff don't want to box their players into a certain spot. So I think Richard's statement helps us IMO.

Not really? But back to Coffey in my mind I've always viewed him as our wing of the future. In Pitino's system the "2" and "3" are interchangeable, heck in a perfect world you can throw the PG in as well. Hoiberg had Royce White bring up the ball at times I am sure Pitino would love a 6'6" - 6'7" "Guard". I've always had the impression Pitino and his staff don't want to box their players into a certain spot. So I think Richard's statement helps us IMO.

+1

Pitino just has to tell Richard he's never had the chance to, coffee knows how the events have transpired.

Part 2 from Amelia: A look at 2016 recruit Amir Coffey, part 2: A lifetime leading up to this

"You have to become single-minded focused right now if you're going to get to that top level," Coffey said. "Now we have to start doing the things that take [Amir] from good to great."

Now, he's still a kid. Coffey chuckled while remarking that Amir would rather be playing Nintendo with his friends than worry about the schools that are recruiting him. "I love that about him," the father said.

Still, he knows the prime of his son's recruitment is just around the corner. He hopes he's prepared him. He remembers, fondly, when Nia stood at the podium at her high school banquet and told the crowd "I didn't understand why dad would make us get up and go to the gym so much. But now, I understand."

"That was pretty cool," Coffey said. "I think they're in a position now where they can reap some of those rewards ... To know that all the work [Amir has] done over the years is paying off is really a cool thing."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...lvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#WPWPwu8wr6yZdxgD.97

Go Gophers!!

Excerpt from Amelia's article: "Now, he's still a kid. Coffey chuckled while remarking that Amir would rather be playing Nintendo with his friends than worry about the schools that are recruiting him".

To me, this shows how disconnected Richard Coffey is from his son's non-basketball life. He doesn't even know what Amir likes to do in his free time! NOBODY plays Nintendo anymore. That was 6-10 years ago, and the people who played it didn't exactly fit Amir's profile to say the least.

When in the first grade, Amir was trying out for a third-grade team, the youth coach positioned the Hopkins native at power forward.
"I said 'No,'" Coffey said. "And then at that point, I decided to start my own basketball program so he could play the [point guard]. And that's what I did."

Coffey began training him -- having him dribble in the backyard, in the basement -- by he time he was a year old.

____

Crazy parent.

Excerpt from Amelia's article: "Now, he's still a kid. Coffey chuckled while remarking that Amir would rather be playing Nintendo with his friends than worry about the schools that are recruiting him".

To me, this shows how disconnected Richard Coffey is from his son's non-basketball life. He doesn't even know what Amir likes to do in his free time! NOBODY plays Nintendo anymore. That was 6-10 years ago, and the people who played it didn't exactly fit Amir's profile to say the least.

A lot of old people call video games Nintendo. He could be playing Xbox or Playstation and middle aged men and women still call it Nintendo.

A lot of old people call video games Nintendo. He could be playing Xbox or Playstation and middle aged men and women still call it Nintendo.

Oh, you mean I can save more than 15% in less than 15 minutes? I unfriend you.

Oh, that makes more sense! I was a bit worried from the quote there. Haha! :D

What happens if he grows a few inches? How many schools could send tape of them playing a 6'9 pg? Also, what schools consistantly play big PG's? I can't think of any. Kentucky has Andrew Harrison, but they just recruited Tyler Ulis who is 5'9. Are they out of the running according to his criteria? I understand he wants what's best for his kid, but no one likes over involved parents.

What happens if he grows a few inches? How many schools could send tape of them playing a 6'9 pg? Also, what schools consistantly play big PG's? I can't think of any. Kentucky has Andrew Harrison, but they just recruited Tyler Ulis who is 5'9. Are they out of the running according to his criteria? I understand he wants what's best for his kid, but no one likes over involved parents.

Well if he grows another inch or two, it looks like Richard is going to make Amir a UCLA Bruin. :p

The PG doesn't always bring the ball up, Hoiberg use to have Royce bring it up at times. Point is I think Richard wants Amir to play for someone that will let him handle the ball and at the wing, Amir is going to have plenty of opportunities to handle the ball, since the "3" and the "2" are interchangeable in terms of what Pitino wants to do. Coffey is a perfect recruit for Richard, he just needs to sell that to the Coffey clan.

If he wants to be a Gopher, great. If he doesn't care, neither do I.

Top Bottom