All Things Amir Coffey Thread - UPDTAED: A Gophers Commit!

per Amelia's blog:

Amir on his relationship with Minnesota coach Richard Pitino: “It’s pretty good. We probably text each other every couple of days. Our relationship has really grown over the years from when I first met him. Anytime I go up [to campus], I can go talk to him or the players. I have a really good relationship with all the guys over there.”

Richard on Amir’s pending college choice: “As a father, would I not love to see my son go to the same school that I went to, where I can get in my car and drive 15 minutes up the street and see him play every home game? Where he can wear the same colors, possibly the same number? What parent wouldn’t love that? I would love that. But at the end of the day, he’s got to go where is best for him. Because there are going to be times that he’s going to be in that school, he’s going to have a bad day in the classroom, there is going to be a time where those coaches are going to be up his butt and he’s going to have a bad day at practice. I don’t want him to pick up the phone and say ‘I only came here because you told me to.’ He needs to be able to look in the mirror and say ‘This is my choice.’”

http://www.startribune.com/more-tidbits-on-the-coffey-family/318194471/

Go Gophers!!

Sounds healthy. By all accounts, a world of difference from the Reid Travis situation.

I feel pretty good about amir. Not a hundred percent sure but the same feeling I had about carter coughlin for football. Reading the between the lines it sounds Amir likes pitino and the program and mom and dad would love to see all of their sons home games. Overall sounds like a healthy situation

Frankly this sounds like the exact same advice I would give my son (assuming I was a legandary D1 athlete of course), so I see nothing wrong with it. If Amir plays for the Gophers or plays somewhere else it will be for the right reasons for him, and I can live with that as a fan.

Frankly this sounds like the exact same advice I would give my son (assuming I was a legandary D1 athlete of course), so I see nothing wrong with it. If Amir plays for the Gophers or plays somewhere else it will be for the right reasons for him, and I can live with that as a fan.
Agreed.

per Marcus:

Hopkins standout Amir Coffey has been waiting a long time for this moment.

The 6-foot-7 guard and top Gophers senior target will return to the court Saturday in the Pacesetter Sweet 16 championship tournament in St. Joseph’s, MN. His first game will be 10 a.m. against Red Lake.

As for the Gophers: “They’re always talking to me about how they would play me with the pieces coming in. They’ve got a couple transfers (Davonte Fitzgerald and Reggie Lynch eligible in 2016-17). So I’ve been talking to (assistant) Ben Johnson about every other day, about how they would use me and the future I would have there.”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...o-play-first-game-since-december-on-saturday/

Go Gophers!!

The Gophers need a big time recruit. Coffey could be that guy. He'll have a bunch of solid players around him if he comes here. Pitino needs to get him or a player like him soon.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

per Marcus: Gophers basketball target Amir Coffey of Hopkins returns better than ever

Coffey scored 30 and 26 points in back-to-back games at the Pacesetter Sweet 16 in St. Joseph, Minn., over the weekend to lead the Royals to a championship win over Apple Valley.

"He was dominant," said Richard Coffey, Amir's father and a former Gophers star himself. "I called him to the sideline one time and I actually told him to 'slow down.' He said, 'Dad, if I'm going to play, I'm going to play.' It wasn't the most important weekend, but he did his thing. I was happy for him."

Coffey has received scholarship offers from Arizona, Baylor, Marquette, Michigan, Indiana, Iowa State, Florida and, of course, Minnesota. Texas joined the list with an offer on Sunday.

http://www.twincities.com/prep/ci_2...all-target-amir-coffey-hopkins-returns-better

Go Gophers!!

Shaka with an offer:

Go Gophers!!

Could see the blue bloods getting involved. Hopefully we get some loyalty points for sticking with him during his acl rehab.

Not a whole lot of new information, but a new article on Amir at http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1572400-amir-coffey-makes-return-talks-recruiting

Being from Minnesota, there’s a draw for Coffey to stay home and play for the Gophers. There’s also another strong tie to the program. Coffey’s father – Richard Coffey – played at Minnesota for four years.

“Everybody from Minnesota wants me to stay home, but at the end of the day I’m going to do what’s best for me and if that’s Minnesota, then I’ll go to Minnesota,” Coffey said.

“He wants me to play there,” he added about his dad and Minnesota. “But he also wants me to do what’s best for me and make the right decision. He’s not pressuring me to go anywhere.”

Coffey said he’s developed a strong relationship with the Minnesota staff.

“We text every couple of days,” he said about Richard Pitino. “And I talk to Ben Johnson all the time so I know those guys really well.”

A class of Amir, Shamorie, Hurt, and Curry would be incredible. I'm getting my hopes for for the inevitable letdown, but I don't care.

Go Gophers!!

i saw richard and amir retweeted this

Go Gophers!!

I haven't been following his recruitment the past couple of months. I thought that he was really interested in Iowa State because his sister plays there? Did that go out the window when Hoiberg left?

I haven't been following his recruitment the past couple of months. I thought that he was really interested in Iowa State because his sister plays there? Did that go out the window when Hoiberg left?
His sister plays at Northwestern it is Jarvis Johnson's sister who plays at Iowa State. Amir was interested in Iowa State because of Hoiberg and when he left so did the chances of Amir going to Iowa State.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom