All Things Amir Coffey Thread - UPDTAED: A Gophers Commit!

I'm an analyst by trade. I have to have a strong opinion otherwise I don't get paid. :)
I also think I have better knowledge than the average person on the street, but to go into more detail on why is irrelevant, because in the end it will come down to the opinion and choice of young mr. Coffey. Do we have a chance, sure. I put it at 10%.

I'm hoping someone that is closer in proximity to his recruiting can correct/amend the following comments. I spoke with an old college acquaintance who I saw at a Gopher football game this year, and we began discussing Gopher basketball recruiting. I had not realized this, but he shared with me that he was from the Hopkins area, and an acquaintance of the family through basketball (to what is extent is dubious). He said he is fairly familiar with Amir's recruiting process- and said that his understanding is Amir's father is adamant that he become a Gopher, and that he has significant sway over his decision.

Of course I trust the person that told me this as I've known him for quite a while, but like any good Gopher fan, I have intense reservations when it comes to nuggets this promising. So I just thought I would put this out there, and see if there may be anyone that is familiar with the family that has heard similar echoes from Amir's father in terms of his preference.

I'm hoping someone that is closer in proximity to his recruiting can correct/amend the following comments. I spoke with an old college acquaintance who I saw at a Gopher football game this year, and we began discussing Gopher basketball recruiting. I had not realized this, but he shared with me that he was from the Hopkins area, and an acquaintance of the family through basketball (to what is extent is dubious). He said he is fairly familiar with Amir's recruiting process- and said that his understanding is Amir's father is adamant that he become a Gopher, and that he has significant sway over his decision.

Of course I trust the person that told me this as I've known him for quite a while, but like any good Gopher fan, I have intense reservations when it comes to nuggets this promising. So I just thought I would put this out there, and see if there may be anyone that is familiar with the family that has heard similar echoes from Amir's father in terms of his preference.

There was an interview with Richard Coffee posted on here a while back. He certainly sounded very involved with Amir's recruitment. Nothing really suggested that he was adamant about the Gophers, but if that is the case it'd be a huge help for us in landing Amir.

EDIT: Said interview... http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/264254361.html#lqtWqodBbzwdEAKi.97

That's right, I remember reading those articles back in June. I guess at the end of the day nothing is settled until a recruit signs. Hopefully the gopher system will continue to evolve into the up-tempo style Pitino envisions, and that the interchangeable 3-guard line up will be enough of a draw for us to remain competitive in his recruitment. An early commitment from Amir would be an absolute game changer.

Thats very encouraging albeit the source is unknown to me so not very reliable to me, I appreciate you sharing your opinion and information.

These next 2 years should be very telling, I think if we make the tourney the next couple years and show progress in our up-tempo game plan, we have a good shot at landing him. Hopefully Jarvis has a good experience and has positive feedback for him.

Well the Gophers have a 1 & 1/2 or 2 years to audition for this recruit, I think we will do well and if his father wants him to continue the Golden Gopher tradition I like where we sit with this kid.

Thats very encouraging albeit the source is unknown to me so not very reliable to me, I appreciate you sharing your opinion and information.

These next 2 years should be very telling, I think if we make the tourney the next couple years and show progress in our up-tempo game plan, we have a good shot at landing him. Hopefully Jarvis has a good experience and has positive feedback for him.

Well the Gophers have a 1 & 1/2 or 2 years to audition for this recruit, I think we will do well and if his father wants him to continue the Golden Gopher tradition I like where we sit with this kid.

Coffey is a '16 recruit. He'll probably commit around this time next year.

I agree though, I think our teams performance this year will have a lot of sway on his decision. If we are able to make the tourney and win a game or two, and Jarvis gets in his ear a little bit next summer, we should have as good a shot as anyone.

Hopefully, by the time he's making his decision we'll have a solid timeline/groundbreaking date for the practice facility. That would be a big help to 2016 recruiting IMO.

I'd love to be sure you heard this from a reliable source... But for we all we know you were just shooting the **** with the old crow...caw....caw...

I'd love to be sure you heard this from a reliable source... But for we all we know you were just shooting the **** with the old crow...caw....caw...

An over the fence comment overheard over the fence. That makes it reliable.

- and said that his understanding is Amir's father is adamant that he become a Gopher, and that he has significant sway over his decision.

I have no doubt about the second part of that statement. As to the first part ... I would bet the primary factor is going to be which school they feel has the best chance to develop Coffey for the NBA. Didn't one of those past articles talk about how Coffey was having his kids do drills at age 2 or something like that? And he pulled his kid off an AAU team and started his own because he wanted him to play PG even though he was the tallest kid on the team. He knows that a good 6'6 kid who can play point has better NBA prospects than a 6'6" kid who plays exclusively on the wing (or in the paint, as Richard himself did).

Lest we forget, Richard did play in the NBA, despite being basically a 6'6" center (yes, he was listed as a PF). Not much of an offensive game, but there was no one stronger or tougher. I'll never forget watching him toss David Robinson around like rag doll. I have a huge amount of respect for the way he played and have no problem that he's got influence over his son's decision...especially if that decision is to continue his dad's legacy. Let's hope an early commitment leads to even greater recruiting riches!

POLLYANNA!

Trust me Mr. Topos.. I've dreamt up far less plausible scenarios on nights I'm curled up next to the crow... Amir coming to the Gophs is child's play

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Just wanting to play NBA to enhance his chances at playing in the league. Whoever gets this kid is in for a real treat tho! Kid can ply.

Just wanting to play NBA to enhance his chances at playing in the league. Whoever gets this kid is in for a real treat tho! Kid can ply.

He wants to play in the NBA to increase his chances of playing in the NBA? Haha I'm sure there is a typo in there somewhere, but not quite sure what you intended to say.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Doogie is really putting out broad hints about Coffey going to ISU. But I can't decipher if it's real, or just the typical TC media figure fawing over Freddie Hoiberg situation. (Seriously, the amount of love the media in this city has for Miles, Hoiberg, et al is kind of ridiculous, IMO).

Doogie is really putting out broad hints about Coffey going to ISU. But I can't decipher if it's real, or just the typical TC media figure fawing over Freddie Hoiberg situation. (Seriously, the amount of love the media in this city has for Miles, Hoiberg, et al is kind of ridiculous, IMO).
I think it is much more Doogie's love for Hoiberg rather than any information he has gathered. I think if Coffey is heading elsewhere for college it is gonna be for a program like Arizona, Duke, Kentucky, or North Carolina not Iowa State.

Miles and Hoiberg cultivate that. They're savvy.

Top Bottom