All Things Brock Bertram Thread

GuyFawkes

Win or Lose, WE DRINK!
Reaction score
So I was at the Apple Valley game tonight for the first half before heading out and noticed that 6'10 freshman Brock Bertram was making his first start for Apple Valley and he looked for very good, he had 11pts at the half leading all scorers. Don't know what he finished with since I left at halftime, but from what I saw, this kid is going to be very good. I know that Wisconsin is a team that is on him pretty hard, though they haven't offered yet. I would love to see him wearing maroon and gold, hoping Tubby and staff are talking to not only Tyus but also Brock after the games.

I was also there. Bertram ended with 15pts and I believe Tyus led all scorers at half-time. Anyway, Bertram finished well around the hoops and had a few nice blocks and rebounds. He got winded pretty quick and quit moving for rebounds which caused him to pick up a couple of not useful fouls. He looked OK on his free throws but showed nothing else away from the hoop. Footwork seemed adequate and he worked hard to get back on defense and stay with his man who was a much smaller and quicker guy the entire night.

He seemed to be behind the pace of the game at times and had a couple of turnovers but overall I was impressed. Once he figures out his body he should be a force. He has the height and weight to play at a high level and he wasn't afraid to dive after loose balls.

I thought Bertram looked really good for a 9th grader. He wasn't shy at all. Kid isn't skinny.

Hey, help me out. What coaches were there besides Bill Self and Coach K? Was that Scott Drew sitting with Self?

I thought Bertram looked really good for a 9th grader. He wasn't shy at all. Kid isn't skinny.

Hey, help me out. What coaches were there besides Bill Self and Coach K? Was that Scott Drew sitting with Self?

I had no angle on the coaches. I was sitting in the same row as Coach K but like 6 people closer to 1/2 court.

I like Bertram a lot. He gives Apple Valley a real inside presence and I hope he continues to develop his game. He doesn't have to grow another inch or gain another pound to play D1

That right there is a major reason why I like the kid, he isn't just tall, but he also size. I see a lot of tall players who are just too skinny for my liking, 1 example would be that Alex kid from Grand Rapids, don't get me wrong, I would love for him to sign with the gophers, his size just worries me a bit, any player who is ultra thin worries me. Also the fact that he has that frame and is only a 9th grader is a big plus, he might be a 7footer when its all said it done

That right there is a major reason why I like the kid, he isn't just tall, but he also size. I see a lot of tall players who are just too skinny for my liking, 1 example would be that Alex kid from Grand Rapids, don't get me wrong, I would love for him to sign with the gophers, his size just worries me a bit, any player who is ultra thin worries me. Also the fact that he has that frame and is only a 9th grader is a big plus, he might be a 7footer when its all said it done

I don't worry about Illikainen's frame too much. He had broad enough shoulders and his game works with his body size. Bertram is going to be a back to the back banger his entire career, Illikainen doesn't have to be. He is quicker and more nimble than Bertram, by a lot.

I don't worry about Illikainen's frame too much. He had broad enough shoulders and his game works with his body size. Bertram is going to be a back to the back banger his entire career, Illikainen doesn't have to be. He is quicker and more nimble than Bertram, by a lot.

+1

+2 plus Illikainen may run the floor better than any other big guy in the state already. He's not even that skinny right now.

Yup. When I saw him last summer he was thin, but wasn't crazy skinny. He has the frame to add at least a moderate amount of muscle and he's skilled/athletic enough where he doesn't need to be all that strong to be a very good college player. I would be surprised if anyone his size in MN runs the floor as well as he does.

Yup. When I saw him last summer he was thin, but wasn't crazy skinny. He has the frame to add at least a moderate amount of muscle and he's skilled/athletic enough where he doesn't need to be all that strong to be a very good college player. I would be surprised if anyone his size in MN runs the floor as well as he does.

Yep, you're right. He runs so well and uses his build to his advantage. There is no reason he wont be 230+ when he graduates high school, assuming he wants to be. I would prefer he develop his game and let the body happen. He is plenty strong for his age/size.

I worry more about a build like Akolda Manyangs (former Duluth East Greyhound) because his build creates a disadvantage for his type of game. Not that he is the same level as Illikainen (needs a new last name...or a good nickname) but is an example of a build I worry about.

THE SCOUT! posted here a couple weeks ago that the gophs should offer brock. Maybe you can start a Amir Coffey thread or a Jarvis Johnson thread also

Bertram is going to be a beast. His footwork is advanced for a 9th grader and he is already built like an underclassman. He could be a 7-footer before all is said and done. Get on this kid now!

Also, good call on Amir Coffey, SCOUT. That kid shoots lights out and he has NBA bloodlines.

Bertram is certainly a big kid.. need to see how he progresses in HS.

Amir I've been sold on. He's not there yet, but very high potential which I think he'll reach. His length is already a major factor at around 6'4"... when he gets to 6'7" opponents can say goodbye to even more passing lanes. Can be an excellent player on both sides of the court.

Amir I've been sold on. He's not there yet, but very high potential which I think he'll reach. His length is already a major factor at around 6'4"... when he gets to 6'7" opponents can say goodbye to even more passing lanes. Can be an excellent player on both sides of the court.

If he gets to 6'7"?

Bertram is a high major lock, so is coffey . Foresight is a valuable asset. Anyone can wait and see. THE SCOUT!

Bertram is huge. He's only, what, 15? Wait until he gets through the awkward phase and his coordination improves. He'll be a beast. He'll never be a leaper but he's so big (wide too) and has such a huge frame.

He plays hard too. Lot of emotion. I really like him, in 4 years (four years!) he'll be ready to go big time.

I've only seen that Duluth East kids' highlights on YouTube, but what a shot blocker. Isn't he the cigarette smoker? Biggest crock of poop I've ever heard of, that story.

Actually Brock is not a gopher recruit yet.... But lets keep this thread open. Having confidence in my player evaluation skills is not being egotistical

You really think highly of yourself, don't you?

He is THE SCOUT!, he knows whats going on.

Honestly though, I can form opinions on good players when all I have to do is see who has high major offers or interest. Its pretty easy to know who is good and reword the evaluations to seem like they are my own.

Actually Brock is not a gopher recruit yet.... But lets keep this thread open. Having confidence in my player evaluation skills is not being egotistical

Didn't you say a while back that Theisen could play for the Gophers? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Any info on our recruitment of him? Still haven't heard about offering him... unfortunately... and I don't really see a downside to doing so early. Worst case scenario Tubby has shown he's not afraid to rescind offers anyway.

no offers yet, I know Wisconsin has shown a lot more interest currently than the gophers, though they haven't offered yet, Iowa has also shown a lot of interest, he hasn't received any offers yet however, he is just now starting his freshman year, so still early, look for a lot more activity after the year once teams know more about his game

I see you posted he isn't a skinny 6'10" kid. What is his listed weight? More of a true center type rather than a power forward like Henry Ellenson?

I see you posted he isn't a skinny 6'10" kid. What is his listed weight? More of a true center type rather than a power forward like Henry Ellenson?

X-man, I've haven't seen a listed weight for him. Maybe 210, 215? I've only seen him play twice, so I'm certainly no expert on him. I'd say more of a true center and not sure about the 6'10". Gopher Warrior and Gophers on the Rise watch a lot of AAU and I think he and Ellenson play for Pump and Run. Maybe they could give you their two cents on comparing them.

12-16 from floor+11 boards. Looks about 225 -230. He is a blue collar stay in the blocks banger.

225-230 is a good estimate to me. Definitely a center. Will be interesting to see how he develops.

X-man, I've haven't seen a listed weight for him. Maybe 210, 215? I've only seen him play twice, so I'm certainly no expert on him. I'd say more of a true center and not sure about the 6'10". Gopher Warrior and Gophers on the Rise watch a lot of AAU and I think he and Ellenson play for Pump and Run. Maybe they could give you their two cents on comparing them.

Thanks. Sounds like he has a bright future.

Top Bottom