All Things New BBALL Practice Facility

As far as remodeling Williams Arena, Teague said changes probably would come by adding amenities and not altering the inner bowl area. There are no plans to expand the seating capacity of 14,625.

"I just think it's too classic," he said of Williams Arena. "It's too historical. It's too much a part of this state. I've seen when you move arenas and leave your classic place, it hurts in many ways. (You lose) your crowd atmosphere and your feel in the arena. We'll do some touchups on Williams, but I don't think we need to blow up the inner bowl."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...master-plan-upgrading-facilities-coming-april

Go Gophers!!

So a lesser scope than the "gutting" I had heard about through the grapevine. I trust my source, so I suspect that plans are shifting through discussion and feasibility study activity. This would mean expansion to the south, which would allow a second-deck concourse area over there. A bit of a walk for north-side patrons, but better than having to go downstairs. I think the trick would be the in-bowl adjustments you'd have to make in order to accommodate those movements of people. Right now, it can be tough in spots to circumnavigate the arena.

I like what I hear. Let's get this practice facility construction underway asap.

Would hope that removing any obstructed view seats would be part of the Williams remodel though.

They are ahead of us because Teague go the plan in place and moving.

You are correct! Norwood did indeed get the ball rolling on VCU's practice facility, before coming to Minnesota. Let's hope Sanford has enough money left to give so our bb practice facility will be opened by November, 2015. He is no longer on the Forbes list of billionaires (giving away money does feel good,) and given that he wants to die a pauper, I can't think of a better way to leave a legacy, than having one's name on buildings all across the world. Also, someone must build a 10' statue of T. Denny Sanford on the grounds of the bb facility!!!!!

You are correct! Norwood did indeed get the ball rolling on VCU's practice facility, before coming to Minnesota. Let's hope Sanford has enough money left to give so our bb practice facility will be opened by November, 2015. He is no longer on the Forbes list of billionaires (giving away money does feel good,) and given that he wants to die a pauper, I can't think of a better way to leave a legacy, than having one's name on buildings all across the world. Also, someone must build a 10' statue of T. Denny Sanford on the grounds of the bb facility!!!!!

All I have ever heard is that Sanford is far more interested in donating to football and that it is unlikely we will get money for a bb practice facility from him.

Looks like VCU is ahead of us. At least they have the $$ already and as noted will begin construction. Come on let's get this done and have it opened for 2015.

Nope, sorry. Still just a dream. Need lots more money. Recent gift could prove to be very helpful, but they've still got a loooooooong way to go before they have the money or begin construction.

It's just a matter of time, the wheels are turning and it's going to happen! The plan could be announced sooner than mid-April, but timing is everything and he is waiting for the snowbirds with deep pockets to return home.

I still think they should be able to pay for it with the extra proceeds from the electronic pull-tabs.:rolleyes:

MN Daily: Teague modest about facilities plan, but "in realm" of $80M to $125M

“We’ve traveled around to a lot of facilities that are maybe a little over the top,” Teague said at a press conference on Thursday. “I don’t know if we need to do that.”

http://www.mndaily.com/blogs/upon-f...e-modest-about-facilities-plan-realm-80m-125m

Go Gophers!!

That quote is a bit worrisome to me. What is "over the top" today is standard in 2-3 years. I'd hope we would build something great and not something that is looked at as just "average" when opened and below average 5 years later.

That quote is a bit worrisome to me. What is "over the top" today is standard in 2-3 years. I'd hope we would build something great and not something that is looked at as just "average" when opened and below average 5 years later.

+1. It also sounds to me like Teague doesn't think he's going to be able to raise enough funds.

Its PR more than anything.

I mean what can you really come out and say "We are going to build a Taj Mahal practice facility" in Minnesota of all places? Half the state would s*** a brick and complain that the money could've been used somewhere else. We got people using rhetoric out of an ex-soviet bloc state to describe our new glorious "People's Stadium", which is just going to have naming rights sold to a big corporation like Target/Best Buy.

"Aw-shucks that's mighty fancy" populism plays here, and there are plenty of people that don't like the U, much less the athletic department.

The facility will be nice, not Kentucky status but I'm confident that will we be appropriately placed in the pack of B1G schools. I think more money eventually will be allocated for a Williams remodel that will blow people's minds.

per Doogie's Scoops:

During Thursday morning's media gathering with "U" athletic director Norwood Teague, the topic of private money for a basketball practice facility came up.

"I feel like we're in good shape there," Teague said. "But it's not easy and it's not going to just be a matter of calling people on the phone. It's a matter of cultivating and selling what we're doing. Fundraising takes time. I feel good about where we are."

He should.

A Gophers source tells "The Scoops" that Teague had a productive meeting last weekend in Arizona with potential big-time donor T. Denny Sanford.

He's the billionaire who pledged $6 million in 2009 to helped build TCF Bank Stadium.

Years prior, the 1958 Minnesota graduate tried to make a much larger contribution, but negotiations fell through.

If Teague gets his way, Sanford will soon be cutting a very large check.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...nother_cash_influx_from_T_Denny_Sanford022813

Go Gophers!!

Its PR more than anything.

I mean what can you really come out and say "We are going to build a Taj Mahal practice facility" in Minnesota of all places? Half the state would s*** a brick and complain that the money could've been used somewhere else. We got people using rhetoric out of an ex-soviet bloc state to describe our new glorious "People's Stadium", which is just going to have naming rights sold to a big corporation like Target/Best Buy.

"Aw-shucks that's mighty fancy" populism plays here, and there are plenty of people that don't like the U, much less the athletic department.

The facility will be nice, not Kentucky status but I'm confident that will we be appropriately placed in the pack of B1G schools. I think more money eventually will be allocated for a Williams remodel that will blow people's minds.

I definitely think they have to play this smart. WIth all the pub of the money being wasted around here, they can't go off here. We can't build Oregon's facilities. It's like TCF, they didn't go over the top with that, but yet, it's quite nice, and it's very customized for the U. They can do similarly with these practice facilities. A way to offset not being as spendy is to put those "U" touches on it, really make it ours.

I definitely think they have to play this smart. WIth all the pub of the money being wasted around here, they can't go off here. We can't build Oregon's facilities. It's like TCF, they didn't go over the top with that, but yet, it's quite nice, and it's very customized for the U. They can do similarly with these practice facilities. A way to offset not being as spendy is to put those "U" touches on it, really make it ours.

It can also be designed so the 'over the top' features can be added later if so chosen.

The coach pointed out that he would like to see the team working out on their own, beyond organized practices – a routine that would seem common sense given the team’s struggles.
“I’d like to see them in here more,” Smith said. “I always want to see guys get up more shots and get into the gym more. That’s what they do. That’s what they like doing. Whether they’re getting in there enough, each individual player, whether it’s a coach bringing them in or sitting down watching film, you could always do more.”

I get the feeling he's talking about TV's in the crappers and not necessarily anything functional. If you had a printing press in the basement of Bierman, you could do the Oregon thing, but we don't. We won't end up with chocolate fountains and string quartets playing during practice, but we'll end up with something really nice, I'm sure.

Nope, sorry. Still just a dream. Need lots more money. Recent gift could prove to be very helpful, but they've still got a loooooooong way to go before they have the money or begin construction.

Good point! With the recent $3M donation by MeadWestVaco and the other lead donation (unknown source) VCU AD Ed Mclaughlin expects to break ground in mid to late 2013 according to my sources. If true, that loooooooong just got shoooorrrrrtttter. Go Gophers!!!!!!

Williams arena will get a 2-3 story structure along University avenue that will be a blend of wider concourses, concessions, restrooms and additional club area. It will also probably allow better access to the second deck by sets of escalators. This will also serve as a new ticket office for the arena.

Williams arena will get a 2-3 story structure along University avenue that will be a blend of wider concourses, concessions, restrooms and additional club area. It will also probably allow better access to the second deck by sets of escalators. This will also serve as a new ticket office for the arena.

Sounds great! There isn't a lot of room running SE on University and SE Oak St. But that's the only direction it could go as far as I can tell. But then, I am no architect. Go Gophers!!!

How about a Facilities Moratorium until 4/18

We can gab and gab about the lack of facilities for basketball & football until we are blue in the face.

The fact is, we won't know anything about what is going to be dine until the Facilities Plan is released on Thursday, April 18th.

We can react to the report then. But until then, let's talk about the GAME, not where it is played & practiced.

Good thread. What are the latest rumors on the Facilities Plan? Can we get donor commitments for the BB practice facility if Tubby is still the coach?

Seeing the pictures that GopherLady put up of Nebraska's practice facility makes me realize even more how far we've fallen behind.

We can gab and gab about the lack of facilities for basketball & football until we are blue in the face.

The fact is, we won't know anything about what is going to be dine until the Facilities Plan is released on Thursday, April 18th.

We can react to the report then. But until then, let's talk about the GAME, not where it is played & practiced.

Don't click on the thread. You're welcome.

Top Bottom