All Things New BBALL Practice Facility

Really it's a big picture thing in regards to the program. That's why I don't get involved in rants directed at Tubby. Until the facilities are addressed people here should be glad to have a coach with Tubby's national profile. Without him and without facilities being addressed the basketball program would have no credibility on a national level. Once the facilities have been addressed, then the U will have the ability to recruit a top line coach when the time comes. Joel Maturi had no vision and kicked the can down the road on this issue. Mr. Teague seems to understand how important this is and has a track record to prove it.

Really it's a big picture thing in regards to the program. That's why I don't get involved in rants directed at Tubby. Until the facilities are addressed people here should be glad to have a coach with Tubby's national profile. Without him and without facilities being addressed the basketball program would have no credibility on a national level. Once the facilities have been addressed, then the U will have the ability to recruit a top line coach when the time comes. Joel Maturi had no vision and kicked the can down the road on this issue. Mr. Teague seems to understand how important this is and has a track record to prove it.

Great post. That's probably why we gave Tubby an extension last year. We need to hang on to him at least until we get our facilities upgraded.

Obviously the U's facilities are way behind everybody elses and a practice facility is needed but it isn't as bad as Coleman makes it, I would have to guess that the St Paul campus gym is open most of the time, what about Cook hall, as good as any gym to get a workout in or did the U in all there wisdom use it for something else.

Obviously the U's facilities are way behind everybody elses and a practice facility is needed but it isn't as bad as Coleman makes it, I would have to guess that the St Paul campus gym is open most of the time, what about Cook hall, as good as any gym to get a workout in or did the U in all there wisdom use it for something else.

I'm going to go with the player's opinion over yours. Also, have you been to the St Paul Campus Gym? That place was built when they still used peach baskets. I played intramurals there one year and the court is about 70% the size of an actual court and the baskets are awful. I wouldn't be surprised if the court was occupied most of the time either, there are a number of Gym/PE classes that use it (in addition to intramurals).

I don't know as much as when I was attending as an undergrad, but my gut tells me his story is pretty much right on point. It's hard to find gym space during normal hours. I mean, I'm guessing he could roll in there late evening right before the place closes down, but normally, stuff is going all the time, even during the summer it's annoying. A player shouldn't have to bus over to St. Paul to get some shots up, especially as Madtown noted, that gym is horrible. Shoot, you might as well go to a Lifetime then at that point, there's probably two or three closer to you than that anyway haha.

Mr. Teague seems to understand how important this is and has a track record to prove it.

What is Teague's track record that proves it?
-------------

How does Minnesota solve this issue of needing a practice facility? It seems like it gets down to needing a lead donor(s) to really step up with the cash.

Maybe before the next coach is brought in - whether that's in 5+ years or sooner, you have to let a donor be 'involved' in deciding on the next coach in order to secure funding.

What is Teague's track record that proves it?
-------------

Mr. Teague was the A.D. at VCU when they addressed their practice facilities, retained Shaka Smart and went to the Final 4. = Track Record.
also, he's on record saying that rather than nickel and dime this situation regarding donors, there needs to be a master plan so that a realistic number can be held as agoal when it comes to fundraising.

Because playing sloppy pick up games with fellow undergrads is the same as doing shooting and ball handling drills.

The St. Paul rec also has very weird hours. Can't tell you how many times I'd head over there only to have it close.

As a former student, lifetime was always my best bet for either playing decent pick up or working on things alone much more so than the rec ever was and that is the option Joe Coleman has taken.

Just wondering if the U can get the players membership cards for lifetime without violating ncaa rules since they can't provide facilities themselves, obviously that's not a long term solution, but I find it unfair that these kids have to pay themselves to help improve their game, which helps make the U millions of dollars. Just ridiculous that a D1 basketball program has to go through this nonsense, yet have the most pressure to win behind the hockey program

Mr. Teague was the A.D. at VCU when they addressed their practice facilities

VCU desperately wants and needs a new basketball practice facility. They're in the same situation as Minnesota is. They say it's a need, must happen... but don't have it.

maybe they can find a wealthy basketball coach and some former players to kick in a few million to get the ball rolling

VCU desperately wants and needs a new basketball practice facility. They're in the same situation as Minnesota is. They say it's a need, must happen... but don't have it.

O.k., my mistake if that's true. However it doesn't change the point that according to him in his own words he gets the huge importance of having a master plan and coming to a realistic number no matter how large so that there is a target when pursuing these funds. To have him even speak to the issue in those terms shows that he is light years ahead of Joel Maturi's attitude of ignoring and/or not mentioning the elephant in the room. So what's your point? Don't agree with Norwood? Also, what the hell are you talking about in your earlier comment that a lead donor would have to be "involved" in deciding who the next coach was in order to secure funding?

O.k., my mistake if that's true. However it doesn't change the point that according to him in his own words he gets the huge importance of having a master plan and coming to a realistic number no matter how large so that there is a target when pursuing these funds. To have him even speak to the issue in those terms shows that he is light years ahead of Joel Maturi's attitude of ignoring and/or not mentioning the elephant in the room. So what's your point? Don't agree with Norwood? Also, what the hell are you talking about in your earlier comment that a lead donor would have to be "involved" in deciding who the next coach was in order to secure funding?

It changes the point of him having a track record....

You have a track record of changing your argument, mr Teague does not have a track record of getting practice facilities.

It changes the point of him having a track record....

You have a track record of changing your argument, mr Teague does not have a track record of getting practice facilities.

VCU has approved and construction is expected to begin in 2013 on a 9 to 10 million dollar practice facility....sorry for my egregious error. By the way, my argument hasn't changed in the last decade on a Gopher practice facility. As a season ticket holder I sat in on Joel Maturi's conference call a few years back and wanted to throw up listening to the bean counter say "Revenue" over and over and over again when he talked about how he was going to suck more cash out of the basketball program and not even mention facilities.....ever.
But hey, enjoy the season because right now the Gopher hoops program is at it absolute apex without facilities.

per Doogie:

Gophers athletic director Norwood Teague is fundraising in Arizona this weekend. However, I'm told he won't be seeing Scottsdale resident T. Denny Sanford. A source says the "U" is still hopeful that Sanford will soon cut a big check for facility upgrades. By the way, the University is expected to announce a master facilities plan in the next three weeks.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...r_sells_David_Kahns_future_likely_murky022213

Go Gophers!!

http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports...cle_ed839117-920e-5da7-8de1-749e31677797.html

So yes, Norwood Teague did "Address" the Basketball Practice Facility issue at VCU before he left.

Joel Maturi did not.

This article makes it sound like VCU is in the same spot as us.. "design phase". We have been in that phase for some time. It also cited old numbers for estimated cost.. I'm curious is they have made progress and are building their facility this year. Hopefully we can secure the lead donors soon and break ground in 2014/2015. It doesn't take long once lead donors are found.. but it could take forever if none are found.

This article makes it sound like VCU is in the same spot as us.. "design phase". We have been in that phase for some time. It also cited old numbers for estimated cost.. I'm curious is they have made progress and are building their facility this year. Hopefully we can secure the lead donors soon and break ground in 2014/2015. It doesn't take long once lead donors are found.. but it could take forever if none are found.

VCU's new bball practice facility is just a dream there like it is here for Minnesota.

VCU's new bball practice facility is just a dream there like it is here for Minnesota.

It's a need for VCU, but far less of a need than ours. They have a practice facility that was recently remodeled. It's not perfect and should to be replaced, but we would love to have it at this point.

It's not a dream, it's going to happen and we are currently taking the proper-necessary steps to make it a reality. Teague got the plan in place at VCU before leaving and they are on their way to build a facility do to his actions.

New Virginia Commonwealth athletics director Ed McLaughlin says the school is "in a really good place with a lead gift and in a really good place with a second lead gift" to help build a new basketball practice facility.
Advertisement

McLaughlin declined to name the potential donors at this point but said the privately funded facility is in the design stage. It was approved by the board of visitors in August of 2011 as part of the university's six-year capital plan.

The estimated cost then was $9-10 million, but McLaughlin said it could be more. He's not sure about a target date to begin construction, but is shooting for 2013, after this season ends.

per Sid:

• Gophers athletic director Norwood Teague and multimillionaire Denny Sanford of the Sanford Hospital Organization have had numerous conversations about Sanford making a large contribution so that athletic department facilities can be improved. Rumors are that Sanford might make a big contribution soon.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/192640191.html

Go Gophers!!

Come on Sanford, you can't take it with you. Leave a mark.

VCU Basketball Practice Facility Renderings

Looks like VCU is ahead of us. At least they have the $$ already and as noted will begin construction. Come on let's get this done and have it opened for 2015.

Rendering1 VCU basketball practice facility copy 2.jpg

VCU basketball practice facility inside cpy 2.jpg

Gophers AD: Master plan for upgrading facilities coming in April

"We want to do it simultaneously," Teague said, "then we'd like to go around the state. And we already have a caravan planned or a tour planned to unveil that, and really go around and shake hands to renew and rejuvenate pride in Gophers athletics."

"I think the money to raise is out there; it's just a matter of fitting it into plan and moving it forward," he said. "So I do feel good about that. It's critical."

As far as remodeling
Williams Arena, Teague said changes probably would come by adding amenities and not altering the inner bowl area. There are no plans to expand the seating capacity of 14,625.

"I just think it's too classic," he said of Williams Arena. "It's too historical. It's too much a part of this state. I've seen when you move arenas and leave your classic place, it hurts in many ways. (You lose) your crowd atmosphere and your feel in the arena. We'll do some touchups on Williams, but I don't think we need to blow up the inner bowl."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...master-plan-upgrading-facilities-coming-april

Go Gophers!!

Gophers AD:

As far as remodeling
Williams Arena, Teague said changes probably would come by adding amenities and not altering the inner bowl area. There are no plans to expand the seating capacity of 14,625.

"I just think it's too classic," he said of Williams Arena. "It's too historical. It's too much a part of this state. I've seen when you move arenas and leave your classic place, it hurts in many ways. (You lose) your crowd atmosphere and your feel in the arena. We'll do some touchups on Williams, but I don't think we need to blow up the inner bowl."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...master-plan-upgrading-facilities-coming-april

Go Gophers!!

That makes me unbelieveably happy! I couldn't live without Williams Arena. She has too much of my heart.

Top Bottom