All Things New BBALL Practice Facility

Ok, now I'm really confused. I thought the team had to practice at Williams arena? What exactly are we looking at? (What is renovated vs. what was there before?)

Is that an urban legend?

I believe they've practiced in both places. Historically, the Bierman court (the facility you see in the linked pics) has been one of those multipurpose courts, so multiple teams have access. I'm not sure how much that has actually changed, but I have to believe if basketball is putting in the money to upgrade it, they're gonna have more exclusive rights to it. But the volleyball lines and things like that lead me to believe it's still going to be utilized by multiple parties.

They still want a new facility (beyond recruiting and shiny new things) because they want their own facility purely for basketball, with multiple courts, and the ability to accommodate women's and men's basketball. But in the meantime, at least there's progress in making it look good and making the best of what they got.

I personally enjoy going to the NCAA over the NIT, regardless of the age and hunger level of the coach, but that's probably just me.

First seasons
2007-08: 20-14, 8-10, 0-1 NIT

2013-14: 25-13, 8-10, 5-0 NIT

There's no way you thought last year's team minus Little Dre plus 'much bigger' Mo Walker was making the NCAA Tournament under Tubby Smith.

I personally enjoy going to the NCAA over the NIT, regardless of the age and hunger level of the coach, but that's probably just me.

How many arguments are hoping to get into with this?

First seasons
2007-08: 20-14, 8-10, 0-1 NIT

2013-14: 25-13, 8-10, 5-0 NIT

First seasons compared to previous season

2007-08: +11 wins overall, +5 wins Big Ten
2013-14: +4 wins overall, +0 wins Big Ten, -1 wins NCAA Tournament

Yes, please, let's keep comparing résumés for Smith and Pitino, that's sure to go well for Pitino. He can make the Tournament for the next 3 years at Minnesota, and then he only has 14 more to go to catch up.

There's no way you thought last year's team minus Little Dre plus 'much bigger' Mo Walker was making the NCAA Tournament under Tubby Smith.

Probably not. But we didn't make it with Pitino either, so what's your point?

Please keep this thread on topic. Any posts after this thread that aren't about the practice facility will be deleted. If you would like to discuss non practice facility Gopher topics, we encourage you to start a new thread. Thank you.

Props to Norwood and Richard!

There improvements to the temporary practice facility are getting notices by recuits until we get the new one built.

While visiting the Minnesota campus, he was able to view upgrades to the Bierman Field Athletic Building, which Pitino has converted into a makeshift practice facility since his arrival at Minnesota.

“I really liked it,” Johnson said. “Knowing that they work fast. From the time I was in there for the team camp, there has been a lot of progress that has been made there. I like what they’re trying to do with the building.”

You really have to admire Pitino's outside the box thinking.

I think this outside the box thinking comes from his stops at College of Charleston, Northeastern, Duquesne, and Florida International.

Having a history at small schools gives a coach the mindset of making the most with what you have, because the huge budgets aren't there and never will be there.

I'd be happy to donate $10 for naming rights so that we can have the "bleedsmaroonandgold Memorial Faucet" on one of the sinks in the men's room.

I'm going for the $100 Holy Man toilet, complete with the first year's supply of tp.

Who would want to donate for the naming rights? When will the name get advertised to a mass audience?

I'd be happy to donate $10 for naming rights so that we can have the "bleedsmaroonandgold Memorial Faucet" on one of the sinks in the men's room.

I don't know where you shop that a faucet is $10, but that could buy them a few rolls of toilet paper...the good kind. LOL

per Shama:

According to sources, expect 3M to become a corporate contributor to the $190 million campaign to improve Gophers’ facilities, and also look for ground to be broken next spring for a new on-campus indoor football practice facility.

Effective fundraising—mostly still behind the scenes—is being done by the Gophers’ Athletic Department and well-connected volunteers. An announcement is expected that 3M will join Land O’Lakes as a major contributor to the fundraising campaign. LOL has made a $25 million commitment to support a wide range of University of Minnesota activities, but the centerpiece will be building the Intercollegiate Athletics Center for Excellence that will benefit over 700 student-athletes through academics and nutrition.

Among projects expected to receive priority in the master facilities plan is the new football practice building, perhaps costing $70 million. Sources told Sports Headliners they predict shovels in the ground for the football building by next spring.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

I'm really proud of the great Twin-Cities business community for stepping up big time on this project. This thing is going to be a reality faster than any of us expected because of it, and I hope it kicks other corporations and wealthy alums into action to give even more.

I'm really proud of the great Twin-Cities business community for stepping up big time on this project. This thing is going to be a reality faster than any of us expected because of it, and I hope it kicks other corporations and wealthy alums into action to give even more.

+1

The $190 million master facilities plan will include a new practice building for Gophers basketball, and amenities for other sports such as wrestling and track. Minnesota’s athletic facilities are considered among the worst in the Big Ten and generally haven’t been improved for many years.

The near $200 million project is expansive and ambitious, with a fundraising goal that may be challenging to meet without the sale of bonds. The University is authorized to sell bonds and those involved with the fundraising have been considering that option for awhile.
______

I'm hoping for a big splash announcement particular to the basketball practice facility when they secure money for the naming rights.

Could that be 3M? Thoughts?

Glad they have flip-flopped on Bierman and new facilities for the non-FB & BB activities.

If people on this board have the means, the time is finally here for us to speak with our wallets.

I was under the impression this facility would be mostly basketball not football.

Top Bottom