All Things New BBALL Practice Facility

As much as Dayton likes to throw tax payer money around, I am surprised the U isn't lobbying for a little of the billion dollar surplus to go towards this project. I mean sheesh, even if only $10-20 million it's better than nothing. Maybe they are working on something, I don't know. I'm not an expert on this kind of stuff but I believe the U being a public institution could get some small amount of government funding for this? The state funds everything else anyways so why not this too!

As much as Dayton likes to throw tax payer money around, I am surprised the U isn't lobbying for a little of the billion dollar surplus to go towards this project. I mean sheesh, even if only $10-20 million it's better than nothing. Maybe they are working on something, I don't know. I'm not an expert on this kind of stuff but I believe the U being a public institution could get some small amount of government funding for this? The state funds everything else anyways so why not this too!

If there is some sort of surplus that can be made available to higher education, tossing it to the U of M for a practice facility would have to be among the least politically popular options. These are tough times for higher ed as educational institutions throughout the state are facing budget difficulties due to enrollment problems largely caused by poor demographics. Public institutions are far more self-funded than they were decades ago and serious budget problems usually force some combination of cuts and tuition increases. I simply cannot imagine this appropriation idea being embraced by leaders of either party.

Indeed. Poor planning. Need to again backtrack on what's previously been said.. they've done backtracking and changing their tune already to a decent degree, but must do more... time doesn't stand still.

Indeed. Poor planning. Need to again backtrack on what's previously been said.. they've done backtracking and changing their tune already to a decent degree, but must do more... time doesn't stand still.

For once, you're right. They got TCF by piggy-backing onto Target Field. They could have gotten some money for this by doing the same to the Viking stadium. But it appears our esteemed former AD wasn't far enough along in the process in 2011 to make this push. After all, he only started it in 2007.

Teague was on Sid's show Sunday morning. Said they've raised $70 million for the athletic facilities, but claimed there are a number of other donations pending -just have to finalize the details. Then, Teague said there is another group of donors that "we haven't talked to yet, but they know we're coming." After that, the U will start promoting smaller donations by individuals.

Teague said the architects have been working on plans so they can get going as soon as they reach the fund-raising goal. Also said they definitely want to do the whole project in one phase - mentioned the BB and FB practice facilities, and the new buildings for academic support, training table and meeting rooms.

per Sid:

Teague on new facilities

While others aren’t as optimistic, Gophers athletic director Norwood Teague insists they will be breaking ground on new sports facilities on campus this fall.

Teague admits they have raised only $70 million of the $150 million necessary to build all the facilities, but he believes he has a solution. After the initial $70 million, ongoing fundraising should raise $20-$30 million more by the time workers break ground.

Then Teague says the athletic department is in good enough financial shape that they could borrow $20 million as a mortgage. Finally, university President Eric Kaler has indicated the administration would loan the athletic department $20 million.

Teague says they will continue raising money while building takes place, and he is confident the complete amount will be secured to build all the facilities.

The university Board of Regents are expected to approve this plan in June.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/nfl/302321551.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Not just a dream...?

What is Teague's track record that proves it?
-------------

How does Minnesota solve this issue of needing a practice facility? It seems like it gets down to needing a lead donor(s) to really step up with the cash.

Maybe before the next coach is brought in - whether that's in 5+ years or sooner, you have to let a donor be 'involved' in deciding on the next coach in order to secure funding.

So who is this lead donor that decided to hire Pitino?

How's that $190MM project going? Saw some of the plans have already been scaled back. What's the latest?

I actually think there is hope. The timing won't be what it should be, but I think the U will come around and try to get the key things done fairly soon (e.g. football, bball)

Unless a big donor steps up with tons of money, this is going to be a looooong thread (i.e., ongoing "updates" for many years before there is a new bball practice facility).

significant shortfall to the "goal" of $190M and for everything to be built in 6 to 8 years.

VCU's new bball practice facility is just a dream there like it is here for Minnesota.

Nope, sorry. Still just a dream. Need lots more money. Recent gift could prove to be very helpful, but they've still got a loooooooong way to go before they have the money or begin construction.

How does Minnesota solve this issue of needing a practice facility?

VCU desperately wants and needs a new basketball practice facility. They're in the same situation as Minnesota is.

Good stuff.

One of the coolest aspects of this facility is the 3rd/4th floor basketball courts with floor to ceiling glass overlooking the Minneapolis skyline....

revised-aerial-IDs.jpg

1441904991.png

Basketball_main.jpg

One of the coolest aspects of this facility is the 3rd/4th floor basketball courts with floor to ceiling glass overlooking the Minneapolis skyline....

I hope Pitino invites Bo and his squad to practice falling off that court.

If I'm reading the exterior renderings correctly, the practice courts face the football center (probably best for natural lighting). The academic center faces the Minneapolis skyline. I think they didn't change the interior views from the earlier schematics.

Does anyone know if the High Five Room from earlier renditions will make the final design?

k9v2qg.jpg

Go Gophers!!

Attachments

• High Five Room.jpg
    High Five Room.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 48
  • k9v2qg.jpg
    k9v2qg.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 44

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Wow, that view from the practice facility is going to be amazing. Especially when it snows.

Thanks for compiling those, great read. Funny thing is VCU opens their $25 million dollar practice facility next week, and the U announces their massive plan today. Wonder how GW feels now.

Good. Things get done when Teague leaves places. Funny how that works, hey?

Glad the U finally backtracked on their plans. The $190MM of private donations was a stupid plan - now they will build (although more expensive and scaled back) without needing to have it come from private donations.

Just too bad they didn't go this route years ago. Better late than never.

Now they just need to watch out for those who are upset over the tremendous amount of debt the U's AD carries compared to its peers.

Glad the U finally backtracked on their plans. The $190MM of private donations was a stupid plan - now they will build (although more expensive and scaled back) without needing to have it come from private donations.

Now they just need to watch out for those who are upset over the tremendous amount of debt the U's AD carries compared to its peers

So you and...?

I don't think GW realizes that the school is still taking donations for the project.

Now they just need to watch out for those who are upset over the tremendous amount of debt the U's AD carries compared to its peers.

Everything will be okay. You will find a new purpose in life.

Only 21 more days and you can cheer on "your" Golden Gophers again.

We still love the avatar you created when those men were boys.

I recognized them as future NBA 1st round picks after one year in college... I realize that probably stings for people like you.

Remember, it's not pedophilia if you don't act upon your urges.

Continue stalking boys and idolizing them while making a pittance. I'll go to work on Monday, actually make a difference in the world, and be in the same tax bracket as those 1st rounders you worship.

Remember, it's not pedophilia if you don't act upon your urges.

Continue stalking boys and idolizing them while making a pittance. I'll go to work on Monday, actually make a difference in the world, and be in the same tax bracket as those 1st rounders you worship.

lol. You clearly don't know me. FOH.

lol. You clearly don't know me. FOH.

idk why everyone gangs up on GW. he's right about the facilities; if they would have financed from the start, given that they were already committed to the project, or after the first few donations (even though i expect a few more sizable donations) this would have cost a lot less money and shovels would already have been in the ground.

good job by Goetz, Kill, and everyone else behind the scenes to find a solution and get something done. very excited for the future of all Gopher sports.

idk why everyone gangs up on GW. he's right about the facilities; if they would have financed from the start, given that they were already committed to the project, or after the first few donations (even though i expect a few more sizable donations) this would have cost a lot less money and shovels would already have been in the ground.

good job by Goetz, Kill, and everyone else behind the scenes to find a solution and get something done. very excited for the future of all Gopher sports.

Thanks for being a voice of reason.

Not to mention the Land O'Lakes deal has been in the works FOREVER, not some new thing as the U and Teague tried to project.

My point is and has always been that the U needed to stop pussyfooting and make a move. Now they finally are doing so.

Top Bottom