All Things New BBALL Practice Facility

I was under the impression this facility would be mostly basketball not football.

Why? Brand news shinny toys for both. A football facility obviously takes a lot more space then needed for 13-15 basketball players.

Why? Brand news shinny toys for both. A football facility obviously takes a lot more space then needed for 13-15 basketball players.

I haven't been following it very closely and I've heard more talk about a need for a practice facility for the basketball team than the football team

They should just mak the B-ball team their own building. Practice courts, weight room, eating facility, even dorm rooms. Hoops and studying all day if thy need.

I just contributed with a match from my employer (which makes me all the happier that an Illinois-based corporation is contributing to Gopher athletics!). Let's make it happen GH'ers.

I just contributed with a match from my employer (which makes me all the happier that an Illinois-based corporation is contributing to Gopher athletics!). Let's make it happen GH'ers.

+1. Let's make it happen. Give if you can.

Recently, the University announced a partnership with Land O’Lakes to donate $25 million to the [University]. Have you seen the impact of that donation on other donors?

Certainly. I mean, it has provided a great shot in the arm. It shows that we’ve got a lot of support out there, and it has given us the momentum that we’ve looked for.

Fundraising is a process, and it takes a lot of cultivation. It takes a lot of time. You don’t want to rush through it. … The Land O’Lakes [donation] was a one-day announcement, but it took several months to get to that point. Our pace has been good, and I’m pleased with how it’s been going before and after that donation from Land O’Lakes, but the effect has been good.

Can we expect another announcement in the near future?

The key right now is just to have the steady progress. We’d love to have some more announcements, but we’ll see. The prospects have been very good. The conversations have been very good with all the people out there, and we’re just seeing how it all comes together.

http://www.mndaily.com/news/campus/2014/09/22/talkin-teague-gophers-ad-talks-ncaa-rules-vikings

Recently, the University announced a partnership with Land O’Lakes to donate $25 million to the [University]. Have you seen the impact of that donation on other donors?

Certainly. I mean, it has provided a great shot in the arm. It shows that we’ve got a lot of support out there, and it has given us the momentum that we’ve looked for.

Fundraising is a process, and it takes a lot of cultivation. It takes a lot of time. You don’t want to rush through it. … The Land O’Lakes [donation] was a one-day announcement, but it took several months to get to that point. Our pace has been good, and I’m pleased with how it’s been going before and after that donation from Land O’Lakes, but the effect has been good.

Can we expect another announcement in the near future?

The key right now is just to have the steady progress. We’d love to have some more announcements, but we’ll see. The prospects have been very good. The conversations have been very good with all the people out there, and we’re just seeing how it all comes together.

http://www.mndaily.com/news/campus/2014/09/22/talkin-teague-gophers-ad-talks-ncaa-rules-vikings

This is why we have Mr. Teague and Mr. Nanne in charge. Not Gopher Bleeping Warrior.

I plan to increase my annual contribution to the athletic department to help fund the new facilities. I think we all need to dig as deep as we can.

per FSN:

-- Player reactions to the team's upgraded practice facilities have been overwhelmingly positive, Pitino said. The Bierman Field Athletic Building's gymnasium, from which Pitino spoke Friday, has been transformed into a practice court that includes a massive TV screen and area for film review. The digs look sharp, too, with maroon-and-gold paint and insignia all over the walls. Pitino says the best part, though, is having a centralized location for the players to practice, lift weights, shower and meet in -- they used to have to dart all over campus to take care of their basketball obligations. "It just wasn't functional," Pitino said. "We have turned this into not only a nice building but a very functional building. I love the fact when I walk out in the hallway, 50 percent chance I'm going to see one of my players maybe walking from the weight room down here to get shots up."

http://www.foxsports.com/north/stor...e-heading-into-year-2-as-gophers-coach-100314

Go Gophers!!

per FSN:

-- Player reactions to the team's upgraded practice facilities have been overwhelmingly positive, Pitino said. The Bierman Field Athletic Building's gymnasium, from which Pitino spoke Friday, has been transformed into a practice court that includes a massive TV screen and area for film review. The digs look sharp, too, with maroon-and-gold paint and insignia all over the walls. Pitino says the best part, though, is having a centralized location for the players to practice, lift weights, shower and meet in -- they used to have to dart all over campus to take care of their basketball obligations. "It just wasn't functional," Pitino said. "We have turned this into not only a nice building but a very functional building. I love the fact when I walk out in the hallway, 50 percent chance I'm going to see one of my players maybe walking from the weight room down here to get shots up."

http://www.foxsports.com/north/stor...e-heading-into-year-2-as-gophers-coach-100314

Go Gophers!!

I still can't believe this wasn't done years ago. Thank goodness for Pitino.

per Shooter:

Second-year Gophers men's basketball coach Richard Pitino is pleased with an improved Bierman Building practice facility just outside his office.

"It's worked out great," he said. "The biggest thing -- and everybody talks about facilities so much -- is when I came here, our offices were in one building, (players) practiced in another, they lifted in a different building. It just wasn't functional.

"We have turned this into not only a nice building, but a very functional building. I love the fact that when I walk out into the hallway, there's a 50 percent chance that I'm going to see one of my players maybe walking from the weight room down here to get shots up. In the end, that's what it's really all about. We see them more; they're around here more. It makes their life easier. So it's worked out great."

Pitino said he has had no complaints from players about a harder floor at Bierman, compared to Williams Arena.

"Now, maybe they're scared to complain," he said. "Our biggest issue last year was that we didn't have a locker room in this building. We've got a locker room that's sufficient enough now.

"We had (players) do a vote -- what do you like better, here or over at Williams? And they all kind of said here."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...ters-chandler-harnish-has-high-praise-gophers

Go Gophers!!

I see that Williams Arena got a new roof. Disappointing there is not a huge block M that can be visible to promote when they do aerial shots from the sky for the football games. It is just something that would be kind of cool.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see that Williams Arena got a new roof. Disappointing there is not a huge block M that can be visible to promote when they do aerial shots from the sky for the football games. It is just something that would be kind of cool.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the ~$7 million paid, you'd think they'd throw on some nice paint for no additional charge?!

Perfect is the enemy of good. Pitino is smart enough to see an opportunity and take while others just wait for the prrfect outcome.
That is not a shot at CKill, he has worked his butt off to help raise money for facilities.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Everybody but Mason, Konate, Lofton, Morris, Buggs, McNeil, Martin, since those are the names above the lockers.

Man, I really thought Pitino would keep the 'Dre Brothers this year. Questionable cuts, if you ask me.

per Sid:

U building plans

Scott Ellison, associate athletic director for the Gophers, said that the university is making progress on construction of the new academic building.

“We have meetings next week to look at plans for the academic building,” said Ellison. “We have the architect, it’s BWBR, which is a local firm, and RDG which is out of Iowa.”

The academic building will be built on the site of the current outdoor track. Ellison said a site on the farm campus has yet to be chosen for the track, but it’s just a question of university officials deciding where it will be. However for one year, while the academic building is being erected, and the track is being built, an off-campus track will have to be utilized by Gophers athletes.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/282654211.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Football, basketball, 'Excellence Center' move to front of U project

The University of Minnesota is fast-tracking a $150 million chunk of an ambitious project to reshape its 25 sports.

Construction bids to build new Gophers football and basketball facilities and a Center for Excellence for all student-athletes are now due in less than three weeks. New university documents reveal plans for groundbreaking to begin no later than September, with an expected completion date of July 2017.

“Our goal is still to [begin construction] as soon as we can,” said Chris Werle, Gophers senior associate athletic director. “If we can go sooner than the date listed that you’ve seen, we will.”

The university officially opened its “athletics facilities village” project to bidding from construction companies late last week with a request for proposal (RFP), laying out the construction timeline for the first time. The 560-page document calls for bids by Feb. 9 and a construction company chosen by March 2.

Werle said Monday that $65 million has been raised toward the project, adding that the goal for all phases of construction remains $190 million.

How's that $190MM project going? Saw some of the plans have already been scaled back. What's the latest?

significant shortfall to the "goal" of $190M and for everything to be built in 6 to 8 years.

VCU's new bball practice facility is just a dream there like it is here for Minnesota.

Nope, sorry. Still just a dream. Need lots more money. Recent gift could prove to be very helpful, but they've still got a loooooooong way to go before they have the money or begin construction.

uofm.JPG

per Shooter:

As for fundraising for a $150 million Gophers athletics facilities upgrade that includes a basketball practice facility, Teague said it's going well.

"Very good," he said. "We've got a lot in the pipeline. Our time frame is very condensed, but we're still having a lot of success. Usually a fundraising campaign will go five or six years. We've been raising money for almost a year, and the heart of what we'll raise will be in two years, for the most part."

Teague said $70 million has been raised.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_27806831/charley-walters-devan-dubnyk-hasnt-missed-beat-says

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom