All Things Tre Jones Recruitment Thread

Tre is going to have a huge season with Trent gone. He's a very capable scorer and he'll finally get a chance to show that.

per STrib:

Tre Jones' triple-double lifted Apple Valley to an 84-70 win over Minneapolis North Saturday night in the Breakdown Sports Tip Off Classic at the Lindberg Center in Hopkins.

Jones tallied 29 points, 13 rebounds and 11 assists and also had six blocks for the Eagles (1-0), who are ranked sixth in Class 4A by Minnesota Basketball News.

http://www.mnbasketballhub.com/news_article/show/729740?referrer_id=198777

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

Tyus said his brother Tre Jones, the highly recruited junior point guard at Apple Valley, will wait until his senior year to choose a college. “He hasn’t narrowed it down to any specific list yet,” Tyus said.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

Tyus said his brother Tre Jones, the highly recruited junior point guard at Apple Valley, will wait until his senior year to choose a college. “He hasn’t narrowed it down to any specific list yet,” Tyus said.

Go Gophers!!

That's probably good. I still think there is a >1% chance he stays but the team should be coming off of a strong season this year and not miss a beat next year.

Watched him play earlier this year. Really a fun player to watch. Sees a lot of stuff other kids don't, athletic and composed. Would be a great get for Pitino/Gophers/fans. Unlikely he is a Gopher, but have to hope good seasons and solid production from a local star like Coffey will sway some players eventually

Watched him play earlier this year. Really a fun player to watch. Sees a lot of stuff other kids don't, athletic and composed. Would be a great get for Pitino/Gophers/fans. Unlikely he is a Gopher, but have to hope good seasons and solid production from a local star like Coffey will sway some players eventually

He's probably out of reach but they should get Kalscheur and hopefully Thompson in that class. Oturu is even still in play I believe, despite the Kansas offer.

I did enjoy reading the first few pages where a lot of posters said he would never be a high major recruit...

And agreed JayKay. Oturu and Co are priorities but if Tre Jones says he is interested, you keep that offer out there. Would be a program changer and realistically would play a few years (if not all 4). Tyus going pro was a perfect storm of his stock being at its highest after winning a national title.

per Shama:

A person who should know says it’s likely Apple Valley junior point guard Tre Jones will sign with Duke next fall, following his brother Tyus’ path to playing for legendary Blue Devils coach Mike Krzyzewski.

Go Gophers!!

If true, he's probably afraid of Isaiah Washington.

This was a joke right?

Edit: not saying Washington isn't good just that likely 4 year players don't typically run away from competition like that and also duke is pretty much guaranteed to have a similarly ranked player as Washington on their roster at the PG slot if not better when Jones gets there.

This was a joke right?

Edit: not saying Washington isn't good just that likely 4 year players don't typically run away from competition like that and also duke is pretty much guaranteed to have a similarly ranked player as Washington on their roster at the PG slot if not better when Jones gets there.

Washington and Jones are essentially ranked the same (mid 50's for Tre and mid 60's for Isaiah), plus Duke is recruiting the number 1 PG in the 2018 class. Tre is not his brother.. he's good, but he's not a guy that would come in a beat out Washington hands down (assuming Washington is legit). That said, they would both look great together in M&G!

Tre is probably the best player in the state of Minnesota right now and that's saying a lot.

I don't know who Shama's source is so maybe that is true. I do know that Tre has said in multiple interviews that proximity to his brother will be a factor in his school choice. How big of a factor I do not know so take that for what it is worth, but it comes directly from the horse's mouth with no anonymity required. We will at least be in the game as long as Tyus is a Timberwolf.

Washington and Jones are essentially ranked the same (mid 50's for Tre and mid 60's for Isaiah), plus Duke is recruiting the number 1 PG in the 2018 class. Tre is not his brother.. he's good, but he's not a guy that would come in a beat out Washington hands down (assuming Washington is legit). That said, they would both look great together in M&G!

Tre is not his brother, he can't shoot like Tyus but he does control a game like Tyus and is a better athlete.

He's criminally underrated in the national rankings right now but I expect that to change as we get closer to his senior year.

Yea, I think a lot of the stuff with guys not picking a school because of another good player at the same position is mostly BS. If they are the two best guards on the roster then you find a way for them to play together. When Tyus was at Duke he started with another undersized guard (Quinn Cook, who was a senior) and it worked well. Heck, it was probably the best starting backcourt in the country. As long as they both aren't completely worthless off the ball it works just fine. You can have them rotate playing the 1, and then stagger substitutions. Good coaches find a way.

Of course it is a factor , just like playing for a national title, playing for K, playing in the ACC. He is not going to pick Duke because of Washington.

Of course it is a factor , just like playing for a national title, playing for K, playing in the ACC. He is not going to pick Duke because of Washington.

Oh no doubt. It would be easy to pick the Blue Devils. With Duke you get 95% of your games on national TV, a legendary coach, the best supporting cast you could ask for, a top notch education if basketball doesn't work out, and basically a guaranteed opportunity to play in the NCAA tournament. It is definitely an uphill battle against a program like that. That's why Duke pretty much gets their choice of recruits - there is basically no downside.

Tre is not his brother, he can't shoot like Tyus but he does control a game like Tyus and is a better athlete.

He's criminally underrated in the national rankings right now but I expect that to change as we get closer to his senior year.

It's not like he is flying under the radar. He is number 30 on 247. He has a Duke offer and his brother is Tyus. I'll trust the scouts' opinions about where he stacks up. His "criminally" low rating is not due to a lack of exposure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

I like Duke a lot, so I'll never blame a kid for wanting to go there.

But with that said, it's a pretty safe bet that if Tre comes here, he'll be coming on to a tournament capable team.

He can be another guard from the long list at Duke, or he could help be a program changer at the U.
Gophers are making a good step this year and next year should be giving us a fair amount of attention, so we shouldn't exactly be the red-headed stepchild of ESPN by then.

But who knows...

In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie has an interview with Tre. Tre mentions Duke, Minnesota, Memphis, Arizona, UCLA, Oregon, Baylor and I may have missed a few.

Doogie said after the interview to keep an eye on UCLA in his recruitment.

http://www.1500espn.com/tag/the-scoop/

Go Gophers!!

I like Tre more than Tyus as a player and I LOVED Tyus as a high schooler.

Bigger, stronger and a better athlete. Both are winners and leaders. Both seem coachable and happy to be playing. They share the ball, play defense and respect their teammates.

Tre would be a program changer. Seems unlikely he is a Gopher but I'd love to see it.

Go Gophers!!

Oh no doubt. It would be easy to pick the Blue Devils. With Duke you get 95% of your games on national TV, a legendary coach, the best supporting cast you could ask for, a top notch education if basketball doesn't work out, and basically a guaranteed opportunity to play in the NCAA tournament. It is definitely an uphill battle against a program like that. That's why Duke pretty much gets their choice of recruits - there is basically no downside.

"a top notch education" isn't Minnesota a top notch school?

Add Tre to the 2018 recruiting class and add the 2018 recruiting class to what is already here and I can almost guarantee you that a very large percentage of Gopher games will be seen on National TV.

If Pitino gets this team a B1G Conf Tourney title this year, and/or to the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 this year, he may be seen as on his way to legendary status as a coach, especially since a Conference Tourney title combined with a Sweet 16 trip gets him a tie for the all-time biggest turnaround in NCAA history.

Looking at what the Gopher's roster will look like in 2018, and adding a 2018 class with Tre in it, some would consider that a pretty good supporting cast. Would it be as good as Duke's? I don't know, Duke's rpi this season is only a few spots better than Minnesota's. Duke might not even make the Semi's of the ACC conf tourney? Duke went 3-6 in road games. Playing in the new expanded and bb improved ACC may not help Duke's long term stature?

As for guaranteed opportunities to play in the NCAA tournament? I'd say Minnesota is on the path to going to at least 3 straight tournaments, as is, add a recruit like Tre to the 2018 class, and other top recruits may be encouraged to sign on as well, and then we might be looking at 6-7 guaranteed trips to the NCAA tournament. At least as much as anything can be guaranteed these days.

And like some have said, going to Duke he might end up just one of many great players there, whereas coming to Minnesota, he'd have a chance to become THE guy, at least until Pitino brings in even better recruits in 2019 and 2020, etc..

Top Bottom