All Things Tre Jones Recruitment Thread

Tre is not his brother, he can't shoot like Tyus but he does control a game like Tyus and is a better athlete.

He's criminally underrated in the national rankings right now but I expect that to change as we get closer to his senior year.

Glad that was fixed!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I've got a question for everyone. If coach K does decide to retire before Tre Commits (Most likely going to be duke) does he still go to Duke or somewhere else? What do you guys think.

I've got a question for everyone. If coach K does decide to retire before Tre Commits (Most likely going to be duke) does he still go to Duke or somewhere else? What do you guys think.

Probably depends on who replaces him. If it's Jeff Capel, Chris Collins, etc. then I think he looks elsewhere (not necessarily Minnesota, but hopefully). If they were able to bring in an established big name coach (Billy Donovan-type), then they would probably still have a pretty good shot at him. I don't know Tre and have no inside information so that's just my extremely speculative guess.

Different player than Tyus but the kid can play, he would be great as a gopher, his first step is just explosive as his brothers.

Tre is a inch or two taller and he probably already outweighs him. I don't necessarily see the same passing instincts as Tyus though.

Tre is a inch or two taller and he probably already outweighs him. I don't necessarily see the same passing instincts as Tyus though.

He has them, but much less of a team to pass too.

I've seen him play a lot and his instincts are ridiculous. But yesterday when he made some incredible passes they ended up hitting a teammate in the chest and they'd drop it out of bounds or turn it over. The kid can only do so much

Tre didn't really score or do anything real noticeable. He looked pretty good in the JV game, but a star by no means. Tre's good, but I think he ends up at a mid-major school in college. (Indiana State, Wichita State, Lehigh, Creighton, Ohio, etc)

I like going back through old threads. NAILED IT!

He has them, but much less of a team to pass too.

I've seen him play a lot and his instincts are ridiculous. But yesterday when he made some incredible passes they ended up hitting a teammate in the chest and they'd drop it out of bounds or turn it over. The kid can only do so much

He's got to learn what kind of pass to make, on at least one of those plays he rocketed a bullet from about 8 feet away, there was no way the player was going to cleanly make that catch, Jones knew the mistake he made immediately though by his reaction.

He's got to learn what kind of pass to make, on at least one of those plays he rocketed a bullet from about 8 feet away, there was no way the player was going to cleanly make that catch, Jones knew the mistake he made immediately though by his reaction.

Agreed. I know exactly what pass you're talking about.

There were plenty of others though, especially in transition, where guys just couldn't catch and finish. He makes that pass to a better player and its an easy finish.

WCCO: Prep Blog: State Basketball Tournament Features Several Division I Recruits

Apple Valley – Tre Jones

Cretin-Derham Hall’s opponent, Apple Valley, is seeking its second state title in three years. The Eagles have one of the most highly-sought after point guards in the country, and he’s only a junior. Tre Jones does a little bit of everything for Apple Valley. He’s their leading scorer at more than 23 points per game and one of their top rebounders at about 10 per game. He’s also averaging more than seven assists per game. Every major program in the country is after him, including the Gophers.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/...rnament-features-several-division-i-recruits/

Go Gophers!!

I was listening to the Sports Huddle this morning when they had Apple Valley coach Zach Goring on. He gave what sounded like an unofficial top 6 schools for Tre -- Duke, UCLA, Arizona, Minnesota, Baylor and Butler. Couldn't really tell if it was his actual top 6 or if it was the 6 schools recruiting him the most. I also hadn't heard Butler mentioned before.

Regardless, it sounds like the Gophers will be in it until the very end. I've got to imagine Pitino and staff will be at every one of his AAU games and in constant contact when it allows. If they don't keep him home, it won't be for a lack of effort.

I watched the last 10 minutes of AV/CP, and what I was most impressed by with Tre was his rebounding ability for a guard, his defense and his leadership. When his team needed him to make a play, it was like you flipped a switch and he took over. He either got himself a lay-up or forced the defense to commit and gave a teammate an easy bucket. He's a joy to watch play.

GopherHole Extensive Q&A: Tre Jones Talks Another State Title, Recruiting, Gophers and More
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/774754?referrer_id=331171

Tre Jones, a 6-foot-2 junior point guard from Apple Valley (MN) High, is considered the top player in the state in the Class of 2018.

Jones helped lead the Eagles to Class AAAA state title Saturday win a 60-54 win over previously undefeated Champlin Park as he finished 24 points, 18 rebounds and five assists.

Jones averaged 23.5 points, 10.4 rebounds and 7.3 assists per game this season as the Eagles finished 30-2.

Jones, who is the younger brother of Minnesota Timberwolves second year player Tyus, picked up an offer from Minnesota last summer.

Gopher Hole caught up with Jones after the state championship game to learn the latest on his college recruitment and winning his second state title in his high school career.

Gopher Hole: It has been a couple of hours since you won the title. What is the feeling now?

Tre Jones: It is still surreal. We've been working all season for this and to have this at the end of the season and we have it now.

Gopher Hole: You obviously had to play some tough teams. You beat a very good Cretin team with Daniel Oturu, Maple Grove and then, of course, Champlin Park. Those two teams had beaten you during the regular season. You had a tough path to even get to the finals. How pleasing is to not only win the title, but to have to go through some teams, including two that had beaten you?

Tre Jones: I felt like we had the toughest road in state, by far. My teammates, they played really well. We played our best basketball those last three games and we were able to just find a way to win all those games.

Gopher Hole: You won the title in 2015 and beat Champlin Park. How does that one compare to this one?

Tre Jones: It is almost the same. They had a great season. Then and now. They beat us earlier in the year in both of those years and we were able to beat them in the championship in both of those years as well.

Gopher Hole: Your role has changed quite a bit over those two years. Does that make it a little sweeter since you weren't the featured guy two years ago. You had a lot of other players on that 2015 team? This year, it is kind of little bit more of your team.

Tre Jones: You could say so, but I don't really feel that. I feel that winning it in ninth grade year and winning it my junior year have been the same feeling. All the work I have put in and the work that my team has put in. Being about to bedown at the end of the year and come away with the win, there is no feeling that beats that.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to win one as a senior?

Tre Jones: That is the new goal. To be able to go out of my high school career on top.

Gopher Hole: What are your plans for the summer? I know that you do a lot of AAU, but are you going to Colorado Springs for the U.S. National team?

Tre Jones: I'm not sure about Colorado Springs yet. I'll probably find out in the couple of week or so.

Gopher Hole: You are playing with Howard Pulley again. You lost a lot of key players (Brad Davison, Gary Trent, Isaac Johnson), but you have you, Daniel (Oturu) and Gabe (Kalscheur) back. What are the expectations for you guys this year?

Tre Jones: We are hoping to be as strong as we were last year. We may not have the same players, but we are hoping to have another great summer like we did last year.

Gopher Hole: Recruiting-wise, how many offers are you up right now? Do you still keep track?

Tre Jones: I think I have seven and Butler is recruiting me hard. Butler is the only school that I am hearing from that has not offered me.

Gopher Hole: I know that tried to visit some schools before the start of the season like UCLA. Where else did you go this year?

Tre Jones: I went down to Duke's "Countdown to Crazy" and I went to a UCLA game.

Gopher Hole: Which game was that?

Tre Jones: Versus Arizona.

Gopher Hole: Are you going to try to visit any schools this summer?

Tre Jones: I don't know about visiting this summer, but I am trying to figure out when I'm going to be taking my official. Probably soon. After AAU, I think I'll be taking all my officials.

Gopher Hole: Do you think that you will take all five?

Tre Jones: Probably.

Gopher Hole: I knew that you went to a few Gopher games. How many games were you able to make?

Tre Jones: I'm not really sure how many I made.

Gopher Hole: Do you remember which games you went to. Any stick out?

Tre Jones: I went to the St. John's game early on in the year. A lot of people still didn't think that Minnesota was going to be that good this year and I felt that really opened up people's eyes. They got a big win that night, so that was the main one.

Gopher Hole: Last year, they were 8-23 and had kind of a disappointing season. This year, they were the most improved team in the country this season. Does that change how you look at them?

Tre Jones: For sure. They are improving a lot. Coach Pitino is doing good stuff with them and sending them in the right direction, for sure.

Gopher Hole: They are kind of a guard-dominated team. Is that something that appeals to you about Minnesota?

Tre Jones: Yes. He gives their guard a lot of freedom. He lets them play their game, for sure. Lets them control the game. Nate Mason was an All-Big Ten guard. That just shows how Coach Pitino just lets him play.

Gopher Hole: Daniel Oturu is an AAU teammate of yours and a friend. He has committed to Minnesota. Does that make you looks at them a little differently as well?

Tre Jones: For sure. I know Dan. I played with him now for a summer and I will be playing with him this summer again. Just being comfortable with someone like that, that could help the decision as well.

Gopher Hole: Has he talked to you a little about joining him?

Tre Jones: A little bit, but I know I'll be hearing it a lot now with AAU starting.

Gopher Hole: What does he say to you?

Tre Jones: He says to come join him and how much fun it would be.

Gopher Hole: With Tyus begun here, does that make you look at Minnesota a little bit more, even though you never know about the NBA and trades or whatever, but does that make you think about staying here since he is here now?

Tre Jones: For sure. My family. There is nothing like the family that I have out there. They are all right here with me and it would be really cool to be able to stay here with them.

Gopher Hole: I know a lot of people thought that when Duke offered you since your brother was there, that would be a logical place. What do you think of Duke?

Tre Jones: Duke is a really cool place. They have a winning tradition. Coach K is arguably the best college coach of all-time. Every year, they seem to have a Top five team. I have been able to get to know their coaching staff more because Tyus went there, so I know a little bit more about them than other schools.

Gopher Hole: What things are you going to be working on during the AAU season ad summer to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Tre Jones: I am just going to try to work on everything in my game. I am going to try to be getting stronger, faster, more explosive. I am also going to be in the gym, working on my shot, my ballhandling, everything.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, basketball has always been part of your family. What will it mean to play Division I basketball?

Tre Jones: It would mean a lot to me. When I was younger, my mom told me that I didn't need to get a day job if I just worked hard and was able to get college paid for. It is just a blessing, going to college and that I'll be able to go to college for free.

per Sid:

• Tre Jones, who led Apple Valley to the Class 4A state championship and averaged 23.5 points, 10.4 rebounds and 7.3 assists, told GopherHole.com that he plans to take all five of his official recruiting visits after the AAU season. Jones also said that the school recruiting him hardest is Butler, though the Bulldogs haven’t offered a scholarship.

http://www.startribune.com/dave-st-...ent-with-twins-it-can-happen-again/417872473/

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

Tre Jones, the junior point guard who led Apple Valley to the Class 4A state title, said last week that he has not determined a final list of prospective colleges but is considering, in no order, Arizona, Baylor, Butler, Duke, Oregon, Minnesota, Memphis and UCLA.

As for speculation that Jones will end up following brother Tyus to Duke, he said he’s “still open.”

Jones, an A-, B+ student, also said he’s undecided on a college major. Among those congratulating him on winning the state tournament was Gary Trent Jr., his former Apple Valley teammate who has committed to Duke.

Trent, a 6-feet-5 shooting guard who transferred to Prolific Prep in Napa Valley, Calif., was 3 for 11 shooting and scored seven points in the recent McDonald’s All-American game in Chicago.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/04/0...expect-twins-to-take-meaningful-step-forward/

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

• Duke basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski made a visit to the Twin Cities last week and there’s no doubt he’s heavily recruiting Apple Valley guard Tre Jones. Krzyzewski — who recruited Jones’ brother, Tyus, who went on to win an NCAA title with the Blue Devils in 2015 — already has a commitment from Jones’ former teammate, Gary Trent Jr. Krzyzewski has done a great job recruiting the state of Minnesota.

http://www.startribune.com/pastor-t...man-convert-to-standout-linebacker/419332884/

Go Gophers!!

It looks like Tre Jones is a serious student. If he wants to maintain those Good grades in college, I suggest he consider UNC.

per Sid:

• Duke basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski made a visit to the Twin Cities last week and there’s no doubt he’s heavily recruiting Apple Valley guard Tre Jones. Krzyzewski — who recruited Jones’ brother, Tyus, who went on to win an NCAA title with the Blue Devils in 2015 — already has a commitment from Jones’ former teammate, Gary Trent Jr. Krzyzewski has done a great job recruiting the state of Minnesota.

http://www.startribune.com/pastor-t...man-convert-to-standout-linebacker/419332884/

Go Gophers!!

Thought Coach K was on his death bed...

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Not sure how to post pics on here but Tre Jones has an absurd line in an EYBL game

I believe it was 30pts, 9 rebounds, 8 assists and ZERO turnovers.

STrib: Apple Valley's Tre Jones says 'great to see' Gophers making major strides

Jones told Scout.com hoops recruiting director Evan Daniels that he was impressed with an unofficial visit with Richard Pitino and the Gophers last week.

“It was really good,” Jones told Daniels in a video. “They’re putting in a brand new practice facility, which is going to help them a lot. They’re making major strides over there and that’s great to see.”

Jones told USA Today this weekend that “I think I’ll be making my decision at the end of the summer or the beginning of the fall at the latest,” he said.

His recruitment is still wide open right now. But Jones says UCLA, Minnesota, Duke, Arizona, Baylor and Oregon are recruiting him the hardest. The 6-foot-2 floor general was asked if staying home and playing for Minnesota was a draw for him.

“A little bit for sure,” Jones told Daniels. “I’m a family guy. My whole family’s at home. Tyus is playing right there, five minutes away from the University of Minnesota. So that would be amazing.”

http://www.startribune.com/apple-va...o-see-gophers-making-major-strides/420271933/

Go Gophers!!

per Bossi:

Because his brother played at Duke, there is an easy connection with the Blue Devils. Mike Krzyzewski and his staff spent a lot of time watching Jones in April.

"Duke is in the mix for sure," Jones said. "Of course with my brother's connection there I'm very comfortable with the coaching staff and what they're all about."

With their recent success, Minnesota has been making some headway and the three Pac-12 programs have made some impressions because he sees an open style of play out West.

"All three Pac-12 schools play the same in my opinion," said Jones. "Heavy offensive teams and you know Pac-12 basketball is a lot of fun to watch."

Most speculation has Jones favoring Duke and UCLA. For now, at least, he's side-stepping that talk and locked into being open in the process.
"The recruiting process is going really well," said Jones. "I'm still taking it slow and trying not to skip any steps along the way. I plan on narrowing things down in June and then taking my five official visits after the AAU season."

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/big-time-point-guard-tre-jones-has-six-offers

Go Gophers!!

The start of Something Special

per Bossi:

Because his brother played at Duke, there is an easy connection with the Blue Devils. Mike Krzyzewski and his staff spent a lot of time watching Jones in April.

"Duke is in the mix for sure," Jones said. "Of course with my brother's connection there I'm very comfortable with the coaching staff and what they're all about."

With their recent success, Minnesota has been making some headway and the three Pac-12 programs have made some impressions because he sees an open style of play out West.

"All three Pac-12 schools play the same in my opinion," said Jones. "Heavy offensive teams and you know Pac-12 basketball is a lot of fun to watch."

Most speculation has Jones favoring Duke and UCLA. For now, at least, he's side-stepping that talk and locked into being open in the process.
"The recruiting process is going really well," said Jones. "I'm still taking it slow and trying not to skip any steps along the way. I plan on narrowing things down in June and then taking my five official visits after the AAU season."

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/big-time-point-guard-tre-jones-has-six-offers

Go Gophers!!

Duke has Coach K. If we get Tre and we win big will we have Coach P.

mods: Can you remove Duke offers form the thread title? Lots of schools have offered and that one is way out of date.

Top Bottom