All Things Tre Jones Recruitment Thread

I also remember hearing he was a huge Duke fan way before his brother talked about going to Duke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per the STrib:

As a 6-2 point guard (Tyus is a 6-1 point guard), there are plenty of on-court things Tre can learn as well. At his young age, he’s not quite the distributor Tyus was, but he is already making a case that he’s the better defender.

This summer, Tre Jones is intent on improving his jump shot and growing in the leadership department. It’s something he saw his brother do around this time – transforming from a reserved teammate to a true floor general.

“[At first,] he was really quiet,” Tre Jones said. “He didn’t talk a lot at first, but a lot of coaches told him he needed to be a better leader, so he just worked on it and became a better one.”

Tre Jones said his brother tells him broadly to “keep working hard.”

If he does, will he challenge to repeat some of Tyus’ other accomplishments? Maybe break some of big bro’s records?

Tre Jones, with a way-too-mature-for-his-age smile, said any smack talk about such things is still far away. He’ll enjoy his own path which just so happens to include some similarities.

“Once I get closer, maybe we’ll talk about it,” he said. “I don’t really look forward to any of that stuff but if I keep working hard, maybe some of those things will happen.”

http://www.startribune.com/tre-jone...330701/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

Go Gophers!!

Iowa already has a VC from top in state 2018 kid. Pitino gets a 400k raise and is too slow to pull trigger on Tre

Iowa already has a VC from top in state 2018 kid. Pitino gets a 400k raise and is too slow to pull trigger on Tre

You know, I'm okay with him not offering a scholarship to someone who can't drive yet. I'm sure it'll be there next year/later this year just as it was for Theo John after his Soph. season. Gary Trent jr didn't get one until 5 days from now last year and he is considered a better talent than Tre Jones from what i understand.

You know, I'm okay with him not offering a scholarship to someone who can't drive yet. I'm sure it'll be there next year/later this year just as it was for Theo John after his Soph. season. Gary Trent jr didn't get one until 5 days from now last year and he is considered a better talent than Tre Jones from what i understand.

Those would be really good points if one of the referenced was signed.

That said, I highly doubt offering when he's not yet 16 will have little to no impact on his decision. It's not like we are ignoring him.

Those would be really good points if one of the referenced was signed.

That said, I highly doubt offering when he's not yet 16 will have little to no impact on his decision. It's not like we are ignoring him.

yeah you're right. I guess I just don't think that coaches should be able to offer, let alone have kids accept, before they start their junior year of HS. But given the way the rules are we should offer. I just question the poster above for being critical of him not offering yet though.

Probably grasping at straws here, but with big bro Tyus playing for the Wolves, does that make Tre more likely to look at the Gophs to keep the family together, so the folks can follow both kids without flying all over the place?

Probably grasping at straws here, but with big bro Tyus playing for the Wolves, does that make Tre more likely to look at the Gophs to keep the family together, so the folks can follow both kids without flying all over the place?

I'd guess it does make it a little more likely. Who knows how much though.

Also, I hope he is, but with how quickly NBA rosters change, who knows if Tyus will still be here in three years.

Also, I hope he is, but with how quickly NBA rosters change, who knows if Tyus will still be here in three years.
Just needs to hang around for 2 seasons since Tre is a 2018 recruit. He'll commit by 2017 in all likelihood. I think he lasts at least two seasons.

per Macurs' blog:

“He’s off to the right start,” Tyus said Friday at his introductory news conference with the Wolves. “He’s already one-up on me on the state titles. He’s got one as a freshman. He’s got a gold medal. So he’s going along the same path and I think he’s got a chance to be really special.”

Tyus is just excited to be around to watch his younger brother play in Minnesota.

“It means a lot to my whole family,” he said Friday. “To still be able to be here to be able to see my grandma still, to be able to be around for my younger brother — his recruitment is starting to pick up. So I know it’s going to start getting hectic for him. To be here for my family and let them still be around and to know that they’re still going to be involved, that means a lot just because of how close we are and how important they are to me.”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...tyus-jones-brother-and-point-guard-tre-jones/

Go Gophers!!

Sounds like quotes from the alternate universe press conference where he declares he's going to be a gopher.

per Marcus:

Following his first game at Williams Arena, Jones talked about receiving a scholarship offer from the University of Minnesota on Friday. He’s the youngest player from Minnesota to be offered by Gophers coach Richard Pitino, who was in attendance watching the sophomore-to-be lead the Eagles over Minneapolis North.

“It means a lot because it’s the hometown team,” said Jones, who also holds an offer from Texas Tech. “Everybody thinks about staying home and playing for the hometown team. So this means a lot. I’m really blessed.”

The Gophers have an advantage right now because the younger Jones has seen them play a lot more than other programs. Pitino’s constant full-court press is the most attractive thing about Minnesota basketball, Tre says.

“They pick up 94 feet and like to get after it on the defensive end,” he said. “They like a high-tempo game. So that’s really cool. I take a lot of pride in being a defender. Ever since I was younger, I liked to be on the defensive end. I like trying to guard the best player on the other team.”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...re-jones-on-his-gophers-offer-it-means-a-lot/

Go Gophers!!

I'm no expert, but I think we can eliminate Texas Tech as competition.

Here is an article on Tre's recruitment, prior to us offering:

Tre’s recruitment is still in the beginning stages, with Texas Tech having offered and Marquette and Minnesota both showing interest.

The rising sophomore broke down the three schools recruiting him.

Texas Tech: “They’re a really young team; they had five freshmen last year and I think three of them started. Hopefully they can keep bringing in young guys and turn that program around.”

Marquette: “I like their coach, (Steve) Wojciechowski; he used to be an assistant at Duke so I know him a little bit. He’s a really good guy.”

Minnesota: “It’s close to home and they’re in the Big Ten. Coach (Richard) Pitino is a really good guy and I like their coaching staff a lot.”

There are going to be obvious questions about whether or not Duke will end up recruiting Tre, but it’s just one of several schools he wants to hear from.

“I hope so but I hope every team does because it means I’ve been successful,” he said. “I’m open to anything.”

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1554638-jones-hearing-from-three

Go Gophers!!

There are going to be obvious questions about whether or not Duke will end up recruiting Tre, but it’s just one of several schools he wants to hear from.

I don't see him as a 'Duke' level recruit, but who knows. His brother playing for the Pups can only improve our chances for him IMO.

per Shooter:

Among front row spectators at the Timberwolves' free scrimmage that attracted a reported 15,200 fans to Target Center last week was Tre Jones, the incoming Apple Valley sophomore point guard and brother of Wolves rookie point guard Tyus Jones. The 6-foot-2 Tre, who is an A-student, received a scholarship offer from Gophers coach Richard Pitino the day after Tyus was drafted last month and said his only other official offer has been from ex-Gophers coach Tubby Smith at Texas Tech. But several other major programs have expressed interest.

Tyus, who as an instant millionaire is in the market for a new Range Rover, gave Tre his 10-year-old Nissan Maxima. But Tre can't take it over until he turns 16 and gets his driver's license.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_28470100/twins-molitor-settling-his-hard-job

Go Gophers!!

Just got some talk from Seth Davis on NBATV during the Wolves game. Mentioned his U16 performance.

Sounds like quotes from the alternate universe press conference where he declares he's going to be a gopher.

Just caught that, no doubt. How ironic! (and kind of sad)

It also kind of rankles me, even as a T-Wolves fan, to see the constant photos of that beautiful new practice facility downtown that was partly paid for by sponsorships (maybe all paid for?). Especially since I've long thought that the U athletic dept should try to partner with the Mayo clinic for some kind of sports medicine facilities and program that could be a huge recruiting tool. Instead, the billionaire owner seems to have gotten that partnership.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom