All Things Tre Jones Recruitment Thread

If he doesn't develop he can always just stop recruiting him. I'm somewhat surprised by the early offer though too.

Exactly...it's not like Tre is going to commit to Texas Tech anytime soon. Tubby and co. likely offered him in order to say they were the first to do so down the road.

Exactly...it's not like Tre is going to commit to Texas Tech anytime soon. Tubby and co. likely offered him in order to say they were the first to do so down the road.

Is Stubby the kind of guys that pulls a scholarship?

Well there was that disaster involving Daniel Edozie here under Tubby. I'd also say that there are effective ways to "cool" on a recruit rather than blatantly pulling an offer.

Do you happen to remember when we "offered" Shelby Moats? That was a weird situation. Made it clear soon after that they didn't actually want him by not going to any games and not maintaining contact. Doesn't have to tell the kid the offer isn't good anymore. There are more passive ways of doing it like he did with Moats and will do with Tre if he doesn't continue to get better.

Tre Jones had 6 points 7 rebounds 5 assists and 2 steals today in a season opening 90-73 win over Chaska.

Wasn't aggressive looking for his shot but possesses a lot of the court awareness that Tyus has. Very good passer and ball handler. True point guard. Still has an inconsistent jumper. Not much of a threat at the moment from outside. Missed his only jumper (a 3) outside the paint this afternoon. Took a charge. Good anticipation on defense for a couple steals. Knocked a ball loose from behind and dove out of bounds to save it. Hit a floater in the lane. Very good in transition. Is he athletic enough? Can he develop a good enough jumper to keep defenses honest? Only a freshman. A lot of time to develop.

Recent video interview:

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/116485500" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

Go Gophers!!

Tre Jones had 6 points 7 rebounds 5 assists and 2 steals today in a season opening 90-73 win over Chaska.

Wasn't aggressive looking for his shot but possesses a lot of the court awareness that Tyus has. Very good passer and ball handler. True point guard. Still has an inconsistent jumper. Not much of a threat at the moment from outside. Missed his only jumper (a 3) outside the paint this afternoon. Took a charge. Good anticipation on defense for a couple steals. Knocked a ball loose from behind and dove out of bounds to save it. Hit a floater in the lane. Very good in transition. Is he athletic enough? Can he develop a good enough jumper to keep defenses honest? Only a freshman. A lot of time to develop.

I'm starting to cool on him.

Tre's going to be a Gopher. (Haha, partly kidding) Why do I think so though? He's good enough to be a high major player and get high major offers, he won't be good enough when the recruiting is said and done to be able to attract offers from blue-bloods or legit top level programs. He's also a big Gopher fan which gives Minnesota the edge over a Nebraska, Missouri, Creighton, Northwestern, Illinois type, therefore he'll be a Gopher! Boom.

All Things Tre Jones Thread

Care to offer more? Seems like a GW-type comment. Not good company.

Sue me. Guy I responded to said he has the same deficiencies as Tyus. Except Tyus wasn't scoring 6 points as a freshmen.

Sue me. Guy I responded to said he has the same deficiencies as Tyus. Except Tyus wasn't scoring 6 points as a freshmen.

Most frosh aren't playing varsity either. Let alone for one of the top two schools in the state. With Trent Brock and kirksey true just needs to facilitate at this point in his career

8 ppg, 5.5 apg, 5.2 rpg, 2.2 spg as a 6'0 freshman running the point for a top 2 team in the state with 3-4 future D1 players as teammates. That's certainly impressive to me.

Btw, top 35 recruit Gary Trent averaged 10 ppg as a freshman last year, only 2 ppg more than Tre. Keep in mind Gary is a high volume scorer, Tre has more of a passing mentality. And are we not forgetting JP Macura? Wasn't even on varsity (same conference) until junior year.

8 ppg, 5.5 apg, 5.2 rpg, 2.2 spg as a 6'0 freshman running the point for a top 2 team in the state with 3-4 future D1 players as teammates. That's certainly impressive to me.

Btw, top 35 recruit Gary Trent averaged 10 ppg as a freshman last year, only 2 ppg more than Tre. Keep in mind Gary is a high volume scorer, Tre has more of a passing mentality. And are we not forgetting JP Macura? Wasn't even on varsity (same conference) until junior year.

^^^^Good post^^^^

They don't need him to do what AV needed Tyus to do when he was a freshman.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

Tre, a ninth grader at Apple Valley High School, has experienced a growth spurt since last year and is now about the same height, 6-feet, as Tyus who declared for the NBA Draft last week as a college freshman at Duke.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Man getting Tre and Trent Jr would be absolutely incredible. Add them with Hurt and hopefully Coffey and that is an absolute stud team. Would be great to get any one of those three.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

it's going to happen so it's best to go ahead and get it out of the way. Apple Valley (Minn.) High point guard Tre Jones is always going to draw comparisons to his older brothers Tyus and Jadee. He's fine with that, but Jones is quickly carving out his own reputation thanks to another good night.

A good ball handler who can set up his teammates, what Jones really does well is attack the paint off of the dribble. He has some explosion at the rim and is a pretty good on the ball defender. Through the first two days of camp Jones has raised his profile as much as any player in attendance. - See more at: https://ucla.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1770386#sthash.ZzEUmoNn.dpuf17 minutes ago
Congratulations to @THAT_KID_GARY and @trejones03 on making the final 12 USA U16 National Team. #PULLEYHOOPS

Not really going to get too excited about Tre. Probably Tyus 2.0 as far as we are concerned.

per Shama:

Jones, the younger brother of former Duke star Tyus Jones, is a point guard who will be a sophomore at Apple Valley next season where the Eagles return the key players from their 2015 Class 4A title team. Jones, at 6-2, is already taller than 6-1 Tyus and like his older brother is on a clear path to be nationally coveted by colleges. His skills include exceptional on-ball defense.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Found this on page 46 of the Tyus Jones recruitment thread:

12-03-2012, 09:03 PMmnsports255
I think we're forgetting that Tre Jones himself will probably be a Minnesota target soon. He looks to be almost as good as his brother and plays 2 years up. He is a huge Minnesota fan.

Obviously this is just someone posting on a message board, so might not be worth much. There's other stuff in that thread about Tre Jones being friends with Rodney Williams, tweets Tre made to Rodney.

I'd assume he's had contact with previous staff as part of Tyus' recruitment, and been around some of the players that aren't here anymore. Different players and staff now, but I'd imagine Tre has been around the Gopher program more than most players his age. Maybe his relationship with Rodney when he was 12 or so could make playing for the Gophers something to aspire to?

I think it's far too early to presume he has zero interest in us.

He's probably just as big a fan of Duke after his brother won a championship there.

Offer him right now. Hopefully he doesn't get to the level Duke takes him. Kid knows how to play,makes free throws and has a lot of moxy for a young player.

Top Bottom