All Things Tre Jones Recruitment Thread

Maybe the paywall knows more than I think, but it seems pretty clickbaity.

Seems to me a lot of Insider or pay sites throw out headlines like "Tre Jones decision not looking good for Gophers" and then when you get in, someone told them Tre might be leaning harder towards Duke. They likely don't know, but need to generate hits and revenue.

You just described the entire "recruiting analyst" industry spot on. "Experts"

Why wouldn't Tre be the point guard though? He has destroyed Darius Garland everytime they have matched up and his game is similar to Tyus but more athletic.

No idea...I'm not in the group arguing he wouldn't be.

You just described the entire "recruiting analyst" industry spot on. "Experts"

I won't say that none of them know. They ask AAU coaches, teammates, etc. for info. They might get some, sometimes. But I think usually its coaches from the colleges feeding them info to make it seem like things are going well for them. Stuff like "Tre really loves Duke, I think we'll get him" from an anonymous source, makes Duke look good to fans. No harm done if he doesn't go there.

As for this, Tre might go to Duke. Might not. Until he announces, I'll assume the Gophers have a shot.

You guys are underrating guys like RJ that have relationships with the players, their family, and HS/AAU coaches. That is where he gets most of his information. I do agree there are a lot of people pretending to be well informed though. Even some websites demanding subscription fees to access the information. You just need to know who is legit and who isn't. Over time, it's pretty clear who is in the loop and who isn't.

Of course the ball always went through Tyus, he's the PG, but he was still a pass first PG. Tre's going to be the PG too.

Different situation. Tyus didn't play with ball stoppers and was able to showcase his scoring ability as well. It's like the Timberwolves when Rubio was here. He was the PG but that didn't mean they played through him. Barrett and Reddish are players that need the ball in their hands the way Wiggins and LaVine did. We're seeing more and more one and dones wising up to the idea of not taking part in these super classes because there's an odd man out that doesn't get the chance to shine. Guys like Derryck Thornton and Marquis Teague would have been better off elsewhere given the chance to expand their game and showcase it to scouts. Easy to get caught up in the moment though.

I won't say that none of them know. They ask AAU coaches, teammates, etc. for info. They might get some, sometimes. But I think usually its coaches from the colleges feeding them info to make it seem like things are going well for them. Stuff like "Tre really loves Duke, I think we'll get him" from an anonymous source, makes Duke look good to fans. No harm done if he doesn't go there.

As for this, Tre might go to Duke. Might not. Until he announces, I'll assume the Gophers have a shot.
You pretty much nailed it. "Recruiting analysts" are just pawns for the coaches and players.

Different situation. Tyus didn't play with ball stoppers and was able to showcase his scoring ability as well. It's like the Timberwolves when Rubio was here. He was the PG but that didn't mean they played through him. Barrett and Reddish are players that need the ball in their hands the way Wiggins and LaVine did. We're seeing more and more one and dones wising up to the idea of not taking part in these super classes because there's an odd man out that doesn't get the chance to shine. Guys like Derryck Thornton and Marquis Teague would have been better off elsewhere given the chance to expand their game and showcase it to scouts. Easy to get caught up in the moment though.

So how did Rubio end up 4th in the NBA in assists per game if the ball didn't go through him?

So how did Rubio end up 4th in the NBA in assists per game if the ball didn't go through him?

Assists speak more to a PG's ability to create a good scoring chance. Ricky was just that good at doing that. Usage rate is a better indication as to how much a team plays through a player. Westbrook for example tops the list in the NBA. Rubio ranked 41st among PGs (that's probably higher than it would be if LaVine stayed healthy).
http://insider.espn.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/pg/sort/usageRate

Since becoming the vocal point for both Apple Valley and Pulley there's no doubt he's been forced into becoming a more complete player and his stock has risen dramatically because of it. What does a year at Minnesota where that would continue to be the case do for his draft stock? That's what Pitino and the gang have to sell.

In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie said he thinks Duke "still looks like the front runner, but the Gophers are trying, trying real hard." Doogie thinks he'll commit sometime in the next 3-8 weeks, but he doesn't have the specific date.

http://www.1500espn.com/tag/the-scoop/

Go Gophers!!

In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie said he thinks Duke "still looks like the front runner, but the Gophers are trying, trying real hard." Doogie thinks he'll commit sometime in the next 3-8 weeks, but he doesn't have the specific date.

http://www.1500espn.com/tag/the-scoop/

Go Gophers!!

More groundbreaking scoops from Doogie. That guy is such a freaking hack. He rip and off takes and passes them off as his own constantly (throws in an "I'm hearing" or "word is" and never gives real credit). Then, all he does it tweet at random trolls telling them how hard he works (tweeting 18 hours per day is apparently highly arduous). Anoints himself a "jack of all trades," nicknames himself "scoops," and other utter nonsense.

Nobody worse, or more unjustifiably pompous, in the business. What he says has as much value as all of our amateurish opinion based comments on this forum.

More groundbreaking scoops from Doogie. That guy is such a freaking hack. He rip and off takes and passes them off as his own constantly (throws in an "I'm hearing" or "word is" and never gives real credit). Then, all he does it tweet at random trolls telling them how hard he works (tweeting 18 hours per day is apparently highly arduous). Anoints himself a "jack of all trades," nicknames himself "scoops," and other utter nonsense.

Nobody worse, or more unjustifiably pompous, in the business. What he says has as much value as all of our amateurish opinion based comments on this forum.

It is, just ask our president! Thats why he will have taken 53ish vacation days over the first 7 months of his presidency.

Will announce on Sunday

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sunday. The Lord's Day. The Day Tre Commits To Stay Home.

Good to see him making this decision before the start of school year while playing with his friends from Pulley is fresh in his mind.

It will be nice to have that over with. Hope we get Hunter real soon! Then we can focus on 2019.

The kid's probably been getting the very hard sell from K to commit. Good for him, but please don't insult us any more with stories about wanting to create your own path and get out from your brother's shadow.

Tyus encouraging his brother to #WriteYourOwnStory which is actually a pinned Tweet on his timeline. We'll see if that happens, but I seriously doubt it.

Tyus encouraging his brother to #WriteYourOwnStory which is actually a pinned Tweet on his timeline. We'll see if that happens, but I seriously doubt it.

I could take that as a diss if I put myself in the right mind. Maybe Tre and Tyus are feuding...

Lets run with this!

well, if he is going to "write his own story", doesn't that imply he won't be heading to Duke? If not, then he is following his brother's story. Who knows, but his boys already committed here, so why not him. I am going to hold out hope for this one...... C'mon Tre, we need a Final 4 banner that stays hung.......

Any indication of a venue for announcement / is local media being invited? To me that will be the big indicator. Fingers crossed

What is pushing the decision? Gotta believe its down to UCLA, Duke, and MN. He hasn't even visited USC or OSU (according to 247)

MN - Pitino tell him Hunter or Zegarowski ready to commit? Last chance to play with his boys.

Duke - no commits, have willingness to take 2 PG's

UCLA - one commmit, no PG commits though, and Tre is their only top targeted PG.

He's been to all 3 schools. So he doesnt need to take a visit. The pessimist says hes probably just ready to commit, has seen the schools hes most interested in, and has made a decision.

The optimist says Duke and UCLA are giving him no reason to make a decision right now, since they are not close to filling their classes, but the Gophers class is almost full.

Top Bottom