All Things Tre Jones Recruitment Thread

One thing to keep in mind as well is that Tre has indicated that being close to Tyus to watch him play is a big factor for his interest in Minnesota, and Tyus has been consistently linked with trade rumors since last season began. I still think it's a long shot at best that we land Tre (I don't have any inside knowledge, just basing my opinion off of other reports), and Tyus getting traded would probably be a pretty big blow to whatever chances we have.

Did he physically mature his year in the NBA to become a top 10 talent?

Tyus simply isn't a top 10 talent. That's just fact. He cashed in at precisely the right moment and no amount of time in the NCAA was going to improve his draft stock beyond pick number 24 to Cleveland in what was likely a pick orchestrated by Minnesotas interest in the hometown kid as they shortly later traded 2 later picks and a 2019 pick for him that day.

How can you argue that Tyus' draft stock would have improved MORE had he spent longer in the NCAA when he has all of the facilities and time to hone his skill and get bigger WITHOUT school on top of it. There are examples of it happening, but it's very few and far between. NBA teams draft on potential stars in the top 10, Tyus's potential is not a top 10 player. Serviceable backup PG in the NBA? Sure. And thats exactly where he got drafted.

Stated exactly correct. Tyus struck when his stock was at its highest.

Thanks to Ricky Rubio finishing this past season on a hot streak the odds of Tyus staying on the Wolves have shrunk considerably. They are not going to part with Ricky as easily as it used to seem and Dunn is a better prospect than Tyus. Of course if Minnesota gets in the top 3 tonight there will be a good chance we pick a point guard in the draft to further expedite Tyus' departure.

Thanks to Ricky Rubio finishing this past season on a hot streak the odds of Tyus staying on the Wolves have shrunk considerably. They are not going to part with Ricky as easily as it used to seem and Dunn is a better prospect than Tyus. Of course if Minnesota gets in the top 3 tonight there will be a good chance we pick a point guard in the draft to further expedite Tyus' departure.

I actually think that Tyus is a better prospect than Dunn is (sadly). Good point about the lottery tonight though.

By better, I meant a more embarrassingly high draft pick.

Tyus maybe had a better season, but Dunn is in a way better position than Tyus to stay on the team, IMHO! No chance Thibs departs with Dunn after 1 season, even if they get a high draft pick and select a Guard.

Time will tell though!

I don't think I've seen a single mock draft or analysts say they believe the Wolves will select a point guard.

Not at the 6th pick. If they move up and/or Fultz, Ball, or Fox are available, that changes things.

I don't think I've seen a single mock draft or analysts say they believe the Wolves will select a point guard.

Did he physically mature his year in the NBA to become a top 10 talent?

Tyus simply isn't a top 10 talent. That's just fact. He cashed in at precisely the right moment and no amount of time in the NCAA was going to improve his draft stock beyond pick number 24 to Cleveland in what was likely a pick orchestrated by Minnesotas interest in the hometown kid as they shortly later traded 2 later picks and a 2019 pick for him that day.

How can you argue that Tyus' draft stock would have improved MORE had he spent longer in the NCAA when he has all of the facilities and time to hone his skill and get bigger WITHOUT school on top of it. There are examples of it happening, but it's very few and far between. NBA teams draft on potential stars in the top 10, Tyus's potential is not a top 10 player. Serviceable backup PG in the NBA? Sure. And thats exactly where he got drafted.

Ezactly! And maybe the team should let him develop through his "junior" year in the league before dealing him off to another team. Honest to god, the number of players (high draft picks or otherwise) that pass through the Wolves organization is staggering! It's like we're always waiting on the next talent to take us to the playoffs; and by then, we reload a new coach/architect for the next rebuild. :mad:

Tre and Tyus

Ezactly! And maybe the team should let him develop through his "junior" year in the league before dealing him off to another team. Honest to god, the number of players (high draft picks or otherwise) that pass through the Wolves organization is staggering! It's like we're always waiting on the next talent to take us to the playoffs; and by then, we reload a new coach/architect for the next rebuild. :mad:

Don't be surprised if the Timberwolves trade our 7th draft pick and Rickie Rubio to move up a spot or two or three. Tyus should be playing his senior year in college next season. He appears to have improved his defense which was the concern hanging over his NBA career.

Tre must realize what is happening in MN. The team is only going in one direction and we will have the best / newest athletic facilities in the country. Could you imagine if we added Oturo, Tre and Reid Travis to a solid core. That would be a dream!

Don't be surprised if the Timberwolves trade our 7th draft pick and Rickie Rubio to move up a spot or two or three. Tyus should be playing his senior year in college next season. He appears to have improved his defense which was the concern hanging over his NBA career.

Tre must realize what is happening in MN. The team is only going in one direction and we will have the best / newest athletic facilities in the country. Could you imagine if we added Oturo, Tre and Reid Travis to a solid core. That would be a dream!

The Wolves will not be trading Rubio and the 7rh pick to move up in this draft. Not happening. Wolves will pick a big (Isaac most likely) or trade the pick for a more established talent.

Not at the 6th pick. If they move up and/or Fultz, Ball, or Fox are available, that changes things.

Many people consider Smith to be a better pick than Ball or Fox. We will have an option for a very highly regarded PG if we choose to go that way.

On the latest One and Done Hoops podcast today, Ryan James mentioned Tre Jones apparently made an unofficial visit to the U a little while back and had positive things to say. He didn't say we have an excellent shot or anything, but he said that Tre wouldn't have bothered making the visit if he truly had zero interest in attending the U. I'd still guess we probably don't get him, but there's still maybe a small chance. I think Duke, UCLA, and maybe Arizona are the other major players.

https://soundcloud.com/the-one-and-done-show/batman-voice-stay-in-your-lane-52017

per Shooter:

Apple Valley junior basketball star Tre Jones is doing well after a bad ankle sprain with his Howard Pulley AAU team in Los Angeles last week. Jones’ current college considerations, in no order of preference: Duke, Arizona, UCLA, Minnesota, Oregon, Baylor and Butler.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/06/0...-joe-mauer-might-have-a-300-season-for-twins/

Go Gophers!!

He has the potential to take over day 1 with Mason graduating. Him and Jelly= Something Special=Sold Out Williams Arena=Pitino Winning Often=....,,,,,,,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A starting backcourt of Tre and Dimes would be special. Add Coffey to the Wing and you have three incredible ball handlers. McBreyer would no doubt be the best sixth man in the conference who could come in at all three spots

A starting backcourt of Tre and Dimes would be special. Add Coffey to the Wing and you have three incredible ball handlers. McBreyer would no doubt be the best sixth man in the conference who could come in at all three spots

Dupree's not backing up anybody as a senior in two years. I think Isaiah would likely be the 6th man.

Dupree's not backing up anybody as a senior in two years. I think Isaiah would likely be the 6th man.
Dupree would present more flexibility off the bench than Dimes. It's a role Pre likes because he thrives in it and he would get the same amount of minutes. Between Dimes Tre, Coffey and 5-10 minutes for Harris or Hurt Pre would eat up about 25 minutes game being the primary sub. But I guess will cross that bridge when it needs to be crossed if Tre comes here.

Dupree would present more flexibility off the bench than Dimes. It's a role Pre likes because he thrives in it and he would get the same amount of minutes. Between Dimes Tre, Coffey and 5-10 minutes for Harris or Hurt Pre would eat up about 25 minutes game being the primary sub. But I guess will cross that bridge when it needs to be crossed if Tre comes here.

It'd be the same flexibility with either if Isaiah comes off the bench as you can just rotate whoever you subbed out to a different position. If you sub Jelly for Amir then you can just slide Dupree to the 3 and Tre to the two, If you sub Jelly in for Dupree, then you can slide Tre to the two. I think Dupree could very well be an All Big 10 guy by the time he's a senior as well and even if you can get him 25 minutes, you just don't see that caliber of player coming off of the bench.

It'd be the same flexibility with either if Isaiah comes off the bench as you can just rotate whoever you subbed out to a different position. If you sub Jelly for Amir then you can just slide Dupree to the 3 and Tre to the two, If you sub Jelly in for Dupree, then you can slide Tre to the two. I think Dupree could very well be an All Big 10 guy by the time he's a senior as well and even if you can get him 25 minutes, you just don't see that caliber of player coming off of the bench.

If you have four studs for three spots one of them has to come off the bench but you're right they'll all get there's at the one of the day. I just know Dupree embrased the role and I doubt Tre would come here if he wasn't a starter. Coffee's going to start. Without knowing anything about Washington's attitude I just think for the sake of the team you got to put the guy who will have the best attitude about being the sixth man and embrace it and there's a track record with McBreyer. Maybe Washington is wired the same way and he will come off the bench next year. Either way it's a great problem to have and if we can land Race too will have tremendous depth in the front court as well.

Bemidji, love the optimistic outlook. For too long fans in Minnesota find reasons to accept mediocrity. It is not ok. More good news is the Gophers are trying to get a visit from team loaded and VES talent LLEWELYN

Would we run the small ball lineup at times of:

PG: Jelly
SG: Tre
SF: McBrayer
PF: Coffey
C: Curry/Otero/Murphy

That would be fun to watch and be a pretty nasty press lineup.

For what it's worth, Arizona just got a commit from 2018 5-star point guard Brandon Williams yesterday.

Top Bottom