All Things Tre Jones Recruitment Thread

Tre who? Don't you mean Tyus Jr? Ok, let's close this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very well said. My own grand kids chose scholarship offers to Stanford and UCLA over Minnesota. They simply wanted a better school and loved the atmosphere, climate and winning.

How dare a high school student make a college choice they feel is best for them. How heinous.

Especially since he put in so much work and only treated others with care and respect. He picks a hall of fame coach, one of the top schools in the country, a storied program in a storried conference. All the best to him.

I don't think Minnesota is fighting for respect or recognition. A lot of coaches recruit here. Too 10-20 players in a lot of classes in a row. It isn't all Tre and Tyus.

Trent, Suggs, Hurt...plenty of other big recruits.

Anyone who follows high school basketball knows there is a ton of talent here.

Never said it was all anyone. I specifically said that Pulley's success has had a lot to do with him which has helped to raise the profile of MN basketball. I've read a good number of articles over the past year about how MN is on the rise in HS ball. Point is simply that for HS ball in MN, he's done a lot to raise the profile

It doesn't matter where you go when it comes to your draft stock. Not sure why you think otherwise. He could have chosen Rutgers and still be a one and done and get drafted as high as he will coming out of Duke. Pretty sure NBA scouts watch the Big Ten Conference.

Correct.

Look what Fultz did at Washington who failed to make the tourney. Or Simmons at LSU, who failed to make the tourney.

It makes no sense to go to a school like Minnesota when you can go to a one and done factory like Duke. You are dreaming if you think it was a logical choice for him to come here.

Once we build a program and become contender each year, then you can hate on decisions like this.

It doesn't matter where you go when it comes to your draft stock. Not sure why you think otherwise. He could have chosen Rutgers and still be a one and done and get drafted as high as he will coming out of Duke. Pretty sure NBA scouts watch the Big Ten Conference.

Correct.

Look what Fultz did at Washington who failed to make the tourney. Or Simmons at LSU, who failed to make the tourney.

Especially since he put in so much work and only treated others with care and respect. He picks a hall of fame coach, one of the top schools in the country, a storied program in a storried conference. All the best to him.

No kidding. I'll support MN athletes no matter where they go. I'm proud of this state and want all of our talent to succeed no matter where they want to play.

The only caveat to my statement is if they somehow somehow purposefully make this state look bad (Like Royce White or Jeff Jones)

Moving on....who is the next top point guard to sign with the Gophers?

Sorry, that wont happen. The entire state of Minnesota isn't as petty as you.
I don't know if opposing crowds will boo him every game but you know some will and there will be some creative chants as well. I remember when Reid Travis was a SR in the state tournament and one of the opposing crowds would either boo or chant traitor every time he touched the ball.

Incorrect. You need to go to a powerhouse like Davidson to be found (i.e., Steph Curry). :)

I don't know if opposing crowds will boo him every game but you know some will and there will be some creative chants as well. I remember when Reid Travis was a SR in the state tournament and one of the opposing crowds would either boo or chant traitor every time he touched the ball.

Fair statement.

A lot of people on here are bashing Tre. I wish him the best of luck, but I want basketball players who not only want to play for the U, but are proud to get the call. I'll take our three MN recruits who claimed it was their goal to get the Gophers to a Big Ten title over someone who favors going to a blue blood program 2,000 miles away. Tre never wanted anything to do with the U, whether you like it or not. Go Gophers...

Incorrect. You need to go to a powerhouse like Davidson to be found (i.e., Steph Curry). :)
This puts some balance on this post 5 o'clock thread entries. I am disappointed but Tre is his own man and gets to make his own choices. I am just curious still though, should the Gophers reach the sweet 16 or the elite eight in the year Tre is also playing and if the Gophers drop a very close game, perhaps by a last second shot, how might Tre feel when he leaves friends behind and wonders if he would have been a difference for them?

A lot of people on here are bashing Tre. I wish him the best of luck, but I want basketball players who not only want to play for the U, but are proud to get the call. I'll take our three MN recruits who claimed it was their goal to get the Gophers to a Big Ten tile over someone who favors going to a blue blood program 2,000 miles away. Tre never wanted anything to do with the U, whether you like it or not. Go Gophers

And I know I'll get bashed for this, but I can appreciate it on some level that be committed to Duke so early.

Awesome . Those high school chants will be tame for what he will hear in the ACC. Really do not think it phases him in a negative way. Great players just feed off it. Will the Gophers wait until December for Butler ?

If he's a sellout so are all the non MN players on our roster. So is every kid that chooses not to stay home which is probably about 85% of college players. This line of thinking is so silly I don't get how grown people truly believe it. I can ALMOST buy it if a kid goes to a direct rival but going halfway across the country to a top program when your hometown team hasn't been to the Sweet 16 in 20 years or officially in what, 30? And some people think kids should be loyal to local fanbases when that fanbase will talk about them like a dog if they don't stay home. That's proof of what most of these kids know: These fans don't care anything about them as people and just want their favorite team to win. That's why they always do what is in their best interests and ignore the thoughts of the fans.

And Tre doesn't give a rats ass about Minnesota as well!! It's all about him and his show

Awesome . Those high school chants will be tame for what he will hear in the ACC. Really do not think it phases him in a negative way. Great players just feed off it. Will the Gophers wait until December for Butler ?

I thought a previous post mentioned we're not amongst Butler's finalists. Seems like Hunter or Zegarowski is more likely the final piece.

Tre is a good kid, I wish him well at Duke.

You guys are a sad bunch for ripping a high school kid for his college choice.

For what it's worth: The Gopher Men's BB roster has the following breakdown: MN-5, NY-2, GA-2, NJ, TN, LA, TX, Senegal, Mali, Norway.

That's 7 different states and 3 countries. Should Jelly have "stayed home?" Should Curry have "Stayed home?"

Look, if MN kids want to go to MN, and they're good enough to play there, great.

And, I suppose you could assemble a team of all-MN kids, and be competitive.

But the point is to win. If Murphy, Curry, Mason and others had "stayed home," people would not be talking about the Gophers as a potential top-20 team. Every player who is not from MN left home to play for the Gophers. Are they all traitors to their home state? Or did they choose the school they felt was the best fit for them as a player and a person?

For what it's worth: The Gopher Men's BB roster has the following breakdown: MN-5, NY-2, GA-2, NJ, TN, LA, TX, Senegal, Mali, Norway.

That's 7 different states and 3 countries. Should Jelly have "stayed home?" Should Curry have "Stayed home?"

Look, if MN kids want to go to MN, and they're good enough to play there, great.

And, I suppose you could assemble a team of all-MN kids, and be competitive.

But the point is to win. If Murphy, Curry, Mason and others had "stayed home," people would not be talking about the Gophers as a potential top-20 team. Every player who is not from MN left home to play for the Gophers. Are they all traitors to their home state? Or did they choose the school they felt was the best fit for them as a player and a person?

Norwegian... i.am totally with you. I think the idea some are trying to convey is that murph, jelly, mason etc were not top 10 players. I think they feel emotion due to the high profile of the player.

To me.....whatever. the kid never wanted to go here. He wanted to get out of tyus shadow but magically, he wound up realizing that 1 and done is best done at duke. Adios Jones family. Glad you'reall done w recruiting....moving on

Those kids chose to be gophers. Tre chose not to be. Thus I cheer for those kids. And I cheer against tre. He has chosen to be part of a team I root against. Why all of these expressions of good wishes? I hope duke is unsuccessful in their ultimate goal because that is the only way the team I support can be successful

Obviously it's disappointing but when we missed out on Tyus we landed a guy named Nate Mason, who's done more for this program than Tyus ever could have considering he was a 1 and done player. We now still have a scholarship available, let's go out and find another 4 year player who can continue the current trajectory the Gophers are on. This team still has the potential to be great in 2018-2019(assuming Coffey stays)

Isn't it easy to show one or two counter examples rather than showing the obvious trend? It's pretty hard to argue that going to a blue blood school with arguably the best coach ever gives you a better chance to develop into an NBA player.

Or you know, you could put your development in jeopardy by going to a young coach at a school that is thrilled just to make the tournament and see what happens.

Playing with better players will make you play better. Weird how that works.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Those kids chose to be gophers. Tre chose not to be. Thus I cheer for those kids. And I cheer against tre. He has chosen to be part of a team I root against. Why all of these expressions of good wishes? I hope duke is unsuccessful in their ultimate goal because that is the only way the team I support can be successful

Not everyone roots against a guy because he goes to a team that we'll likely never play. Your hatred for other teams doesn't carry over to the rest of the fan base.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

It is extremely rare for me to root for Duke, so he will be pretty much meaningless to me.

I have rooted for Duke exactly once in recent memory, when they beat Wisconsin for the title. The only upside to Tyus going there. It's unlikely that scenario will repeat itself.

Anyone downplaying Tyus and Tre's status as trailblazers and beloved in MN are either from out-state or not in tune with the younger generation. I'm the same age as Tyus and played in the same conference, and yes, our student section jeered the hell out of him, but it was out of school spirit. Of people my age, EVERYONE cheered for him at Duke and loves him to this day for repping MN. Same with Tre. Two of the most talented and respectable basketball players to ever come from the state.

It would've been great if Tre came to the gophers but I'll continue to cheer for him and wish him success in all that he does.

Top Bottom