All Things Tre Jones Recruitment Thread

I don't quite understand the anger and hate.

There are over 4500 kids playing D1 ball. The only ones I think about play for the U. Like his brother, it's meh.

Why the hell do we have to support Tre? I only support gophers that's it! I sure don't support a family that wants nothing to do with the gophers!

Good program gophers top 15 right now.
Exposure to get drafted.. NBA finds players anywhere. If u haven't noticed half the players drafted are from over seas. Your good enough they find u.
I hate Duke last I check they were a college team. So any college team that isn't the gophers I hate.

I have rooted for Duke exactly once in recent memory, when they beat Wisconsin for the title. The only upside to Tyus going there. It's unlikely that scenario will repeat itself.

Agreed. Tyus stepped up big time that night. Perhaps Tre will have the same opportunity.

The only thing that bugs me and I don't know the answer. If he knew he wanted to go to Duke last fall. He should have said so then and stop milking the system for the past year or so. I'm not so sure he was honest with the other coaches who recruited him. Kind of a waste of time for everyone. Yes if he doesn't want to come to Minnesota then we don't want you. We want someone that appreciates what Minnesota has to offer.

The only thing that bugs me and I don't know the answer. If he knew he wanted to go to Duke last fall. He should have said so then and stop milking the system for the past year or so. I'm not so sure he was honest with the other coaches who recruited him. Kind of a waste of time for everyone. Yes if he doesn't want to come to Minnesota then we don't want you. We want someone that appreciates what Minnesota has to offer.
He committed earlier than the majority of his class. Should he commit at 14?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Isn't it easy to show one or two counter examples rather than showing the obvious trend? It's pretty hard to argue that going to a blue blood school with arguably the best coach ever gives you a better chance to develop into an NBA player.

Or you know, you could put your development in jeopardy by going to a young coach at a school that is thrilled just to make the tournament and see what happens.

Playing with better players will make you play better. Weird how that works.

I actually think it's the opposite especially at Duke. There's blue bloods that cater to developing NBA skill like Kentucky who run a system where that's largely it's sole purpose but then there's Duke that runs a college system that doesn't take players out of their comfort zone. You think about the one and done talent Duke has got in the past decade and what are those guys in the NBA? Quite a few guys hanging on by a thread. I think this came down to Tre wanting to continue to compete for championships and I can't knock that. Just long term I don't see it as being a beneficial move for him as it may seem.

We've seen more and more high end talent go to smaller schools and still get drafted high. Counting on players from the blue bloods is how you end up like the Hornets and Wolves.

Very well said. My own grand kids chose scholarship offers to Stanford and UCLA over Minnesota. They simply wanted a better school and loved the atmosphere, climate and winning.

Stanford, yes...UCLA not exactly. Maybe they just wanted to get away from home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tre is a good kid, I wish him well at Duke.

You guys are a sad bunch for ripping a high school kid for his college choice.

We are not ripping him, we just don't care anymore. He has every right to choose any school he wants, but he chose to pass on the U, so he shouldn't get upset if the Minnesota fans chose to pass on him. He is now just a kid that played high school basketball in Minnesota. Just another kid who thinks he is too good to represent the U.

Anyone downplaying Tyus and Tre's status as trailblazers and beloved in MN are either from out-state or not in tune with the younger generation. I'm the same age as Tyus and played in the same conference, and yes, our student section jeered the hell out of him, but it was out of school spirit. Of people my age, EVERYONE cheered for him at Duke and loves him to this day for repping MN. Same with Tre. Two of the most talented and respectable basketball players to ever come from the state.

It would've been great if Tre came to the gophers but I'll continue to cheer for him and wish him success in all that he does.

Sorry, but you need to brush up on your history of Minnesota basketball. I know they are a big deal for kids your age, but Duke is not the NBA. Playing for Duke is not repping MN. Not to take anything away from the Jones brothers, they both are excellent basketball players, but there have been better players in the past and there will be better players in the future. Just think how much larger of an impact they would have had locally if they had played for the U.

We are not ripping him, we just don't care anymore. He has every right to choose any school he wants, but he chose to pass on the U, so he shouldn't get upset if the Minnesota fans chose to pass on him. He is now just a kid that played high school basketball in Minnesota. Just another kid who thinks he is too good to represent the U.

Why do you know that he thinks he is too good for the U? You realize Minnesota is a program that has been consistently mid tier Big Ten at best, right? It's not an obligation for him to stay home, he should choose the school that fits him best like every other high school senior.

Sorry though, you probably know his life and goals better than him

UCLA is a better school with a far better track and field program and my grandson thinks it is a much better climate and atmosphere. They both were very aware of all academic rankings and athletic success
Stanford, yes...UCLA not exactly. Maybe they just wanted to get away from home.

I actually think it's the opposite especially at Duke. There's blue bloods that cater to developing NBA skill like Kentucky who run a system where that's largely it's sole purpose but then there's Duke that runs a college system that doesn't take players out of their comfort zone. You think about the one and done talent Duke has got in the past decade and what are those guys in the NBA? Quite a few guys hanging on by a thread. I think this came down to Tre wanting to continue to compete for championships and I can't knock that. Just long term I don't see it as being a beneficial move for him as it may seem.

We've seen more and more high end talent go to smaller schools and still get drafted high. Counting on players from the blue bloods is how you end up like the Hornets and Wolves.

True, Duke has not produced a lot of NBA players with long careers.

Sorry, but you need to brush up on your history of Minnesota basketball. I know they are a big deal for kids your age, but Duke is not the NBA. Playing for Duke is not repping MN. Not to take anything away from the Jones brothers, they both are excellent basketball players, but there have been better players in the past and there will be better players in the future. Just think how much larger of an impact they would have had locally if they had played for the U.

You're right but does any of that matter? Kids my age love Tyus/Tre anyway. Of people I know, they're casual gopher fans at best and are just as excited to cheer for Minnesota players they've watched/played against for years. I'll admit I may be biased as there were very few kids that had U alumni/any college alumni for parents where I grew up, so that probably changes things a bit.

Our program at the U has defined mediocre. All of here want to change that but for me not at the expense of being provincial or ripping on kids who take advantage of using their talents to attend great schools as well as leaving the bubble to experience another part of the country for growth.

He committed earlier than the majority of his class. Should he commit at 14?

Earlier than today if he knew all along that he wanted nothing to do with Minnesota. He dragged it on for his reality show today.

I have rooted for Duke exactly once in recent memory, when they beat Wisconsin for the title. The only upside to Tyus going there. It's unlikely that scenario will repeat itself.

I also rooted for Duke against Wisc., but I also do when they play UNC. I feel like Carolina fans get more bent out of shape when they lose to Duke than the other way around...I like that.

Earlier than today if he knew all along that he wanted nothing to do with Minnesota. He dragged it for his on reality show today.

This is just a ridiculous take. Especially since if the kid wanted a 'reality show' like you claim he could've announced at the McD AA game or something. His commitment played out just like Kalschur and Thomas'. Funny thing is that Thomas had his ceremony almost immediately after AAU season so one could assume that he'd known for a while and wanted to wait until the season was over to commit. Was that him dragging it on? How bout Gabe who decided to commit shortly after his friend to the same school. You could make a guess that they decided to space out their commitments so they could both get some shine. Both of them released well made professional videos to announce too. Where's your criticism of them dragging things out? Some folks are so hypocritical its sad

I would have been overjoyed to have Tre chose Minnesota, but I tend to agree with Clem Haskins, who I still greatly respect. He once said that he would rather have solid players who would be here for four years than one and dones. In my opinion, Tre did us a favor by announcing his decision relatively early. We can now concentrate on finding the next Nate Mason. I wish Tre well.

I would have been overjoyed to have Tre chose Minnesota, but I tend to agree with Clem Haskins, who I still greatly respect. He once said that he would rather have solid players who would be here for four years than one and dones. In my opinion, Tre did us a favor by announcing his decision relatively early. We can now concentrate on finding the next Nate Mason. I wish Tre well.

+1000 He really cleared things up for Pitino to go get a different ELITE PG.

It bothers me when I see comments regarding his choice of Duke when people say how can you blame him? If he would have picked Minnesota I would have said the same thing, How can you blame him?

^This.

I think the most polite way to put it is, on a free board like this there are quite a few "casual" fans, and not everyone sees recruiting through the lens of "how will this help the Gophers become a championship program?" I do, although I try not to get too worked up about the casual fans who post here. For me, the U of M is my "tribe," THE state university, and I really don't give a rip about "Minnesota (high school) basketball" in the general sense. I don't travel the country to watch MN high school basketball, wear their colors, talk to my friends about it, etc. For me, there is no alumni pride/bragging rights about the status of our state high school basketball or what state players have done elsewhere.

I'll admit it's frustrating to see the other perspective, which I view as "not helpful." I.e., seeing Minnesotans, especially younger fans its seems, who don't see the damage done or opportunity lost every time a 5 star player chooses to propagate the status of another program instead of ours (and it's idiotic to throw the argument back that every player on our roster isn't from MN ... when we start pulling out of state top-50 players on a regular basis, i.e. "importing" the level of players we're regularly exporting, then feel free to make that point). The one exception I understand is if you know the kid or his family, I get it that it's a different deal in the way you look at these things.

I think some of it comes down to is that some either don't remember, don't understand, or don't care what this program is capable of at its potential. I attended the U during the Final Four year and was a fan for the sweet sixteen and elite 8 runs. There is the potential for a championship caliber program here, and while Pitino is going about it the right way, building with 4-year players and building the culture, at some point a 5 star player needs to say yes in order for us to take the next step, and that largely falls on the in state kids right now. Five in a row have said no, which is unprecedented and very disturbing and unhappy trend. Here's hoping Hurt will be the one to rise up.

^This.

I think the most polite way to put it is, on a free board like this there are quite a few "casual" fans, and not everyone sees recruiting through the lens of "how will this help the Gophers become a championship program?" I do, although I try not to get too worked up about the casual fans who post here. For me, the U of M is my "tribe," THE state university, and I really don't give a rip about "Minnesota (high school) basketball" in the general sense. I don't travel the country to watch MN high school basketball, wear their colors, talk to my friends about it, etc. For me, there is no alumni pride/bragging rights about the status of our state high school basketball or what state players have done elsewhere.

I'll admit it's frustrating to see the other perspective, which I view as "not helpful." I.e., seeing Minnesotans, especially younger fans its seems, who don't see the damage done or opportunity lost every time a 5 star player chooses to propagate the status of another program instead of ours (and it's idiotic to throw the argument back that every player on our roster isn't from MN ... when we start pulling out of state top-50 players on a regular basis, i.e. "importing" the level of players we're regularly exporting, then feel free to make that point). The one exception I understand is if you know the kid or his family, I get it that it's a different deal in the way you look at these things.

I think some of it comes down to is that some either don't remember, don't understand, or don't care what this program is capable of at its potential. I attended the U during the Final Four year and was a fan for the sweet sixteen and elite 8 runs. There is the potential for a championship caliber program here, and while Pitino is going about it the right way, building with 4-year players and building the culture, at some point a 5 star player needs to say yes in order for us to take the next step, and that largely falls on the in state kids right now. Five in a row have said no, which is unprecedented and very disturbing and unhappy trend. Here's hoping Hurt will be the one to rise up.

Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen a few people vent out some frustration out of what could have been on this board (and to a lesser extent Twitter, but maybe there's worse stuff there?), but I'm assuming these posters would not have the same opinion if they ran into the Jones family in the community. I would expect everyone to congratulate the kid and be happy for him and his family after seeing how excited and relieved he must be at the end of a long recruiting process. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.

Either way, what bothers me is that Fuller tweeted out "no need to hate on anyone not staying home Gopher fans. You're in good hands at PG this season and in future". Was there really a lot of hate being spread around yesterday? I find that Fuller might be mischaracterizing the overall fan base based on a some mild knee jerk reactions of a vast minority of Gopher fans (who owe nothing to the Tre, as jones owes nothing to them). It's a mild tweet, and probably well intentioned. That said, if Fuller is using this board to paint a negative picture of the entire Gopher fans base, then he's contributing to the disconnect between the kids in the local high school/aau system in the cities and the Gopher basketball program.

Am I completely misguided here? I broke my own rule by reading this much into a single tweet.

#MakeYourOwnPath.......or what ever it was. Are we sure this wasn't Tyus trying to persuade Tre not to follow the Pulley Crew?

Just a thought

#MakeYourOwnPath.......or what ever it was. Are we sure this wasn't Tyus trying to persuade Tre not to follow the Pulley Crew?

Just a thought

I'm positive that a twitter comment wouldn't influence his bro decision. I'm positive Tyus knew Tre's decision beforehand. Rene Pulley have told high school coaches for months Tre will go to Duke. It was his and Tyus fav school growing up

^This.

The saving grace - and this has been written here before - most 5-star players do compete somewhere away from their home community. The question is whether or not it indeed reflects poorly on the U of M. I do remember, when Randy Carter came here, it raised eyebrows back home and did seem to reflect poorly on Memphis State - or at least that was the perspective of some in that area.

I've seen a few people vent out some frustration out of what could have been on this board (and to a lesser extent Twitter, but maybe there's worse stuff there?), but I'm assuming these posters would not have the same opinion if they ran into the Jones family in the community. I would expect everyone to congratulate the kid and be happy for him and his family after seeing how excited and relieved he must be at the end of a long recruiting process. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.

Either way, what bothers me is that Fuller tweeted out "no need to hate on anyone not staying home Gopher fans. You're in good hands at PG this season and in future". Was there really a lot of hate being spread around yesterday? I find that Fuller might be mischaracterizing the overall fan base based on a some mild knee jerk reactions of a vast minority of Gopher fans (who owe nothing to the Tre, as jones owes nothing to them). It's a mild tweet, and probably well intentioned. That said, if Fuller is using this board to paint a negative picture of the entire Gopher fans base, then he's contributing to the disconnect between the kids in the local high school/aau system in the cities and the Gopher basketball program.

Am I completely misguided here? I broke my own rule by reading this much into a single tweet.

I've seen some stupid **** on Twitter and in comment sections negative towards Tre. I think it's dumb. I'm not happy he left for Duke, but I respect a kids choice. Now had he picked Wisconsin (which wasnt in the mix) I would've been outraged

^This.

I don't think you're incorrect, I just think the idea that success in CBB has a lot to do with homegrown talent is just false. Its largely true in football but even the most successful CBB programs place very little emphasis on local talent. Of the top programs maybe UCLA is most known for keeping local guys. Syracuse usually does well with NE guys too, but who else? MSU does ok with Michigan guys too but they get guys from all over. It just doesn't matter as much as it does in FB. Because MN hasn't traditionally produced a lot of guys wanted by major programs AND because its the only D1 school in the state I think fans overemphasize the importance of local recruiting here. Sure Tre would have been a huge boost for the program had he come, but I don't think he hurts the program in any way, shape or form by not coming. We've been recruiting other guards hard for the past few months because the staff knows this too. Almost all top 25 type guys are national recruits and being local simply gives you an in where you would've had no shot otherwise for the majority of those types of players.
I think the disconnect is that for folks like me, while I'm a fan of MN and a real one at that who's written, talked about and studied MN sports more than most, I also want to see MN sports do well outside of the U. I like seeing MN high school teams on ESPN and its AAU teams dominating and I love turning on CBB and seeing local guys playing all over the country. For us that's new but for other cities its common place. I went to DePaul and live in IL. I've got friends I went to school with that are from Chicago that want DePaul to be good again but still cheer on Jabari Parker and all the Chicago kids that are in the NBA or playing all over because their connection to those players isn't just about what college they choose. You CAN separate the 2. So for some you see Rashad Vaughn in the NBA and don't care about him because he didn't spend his 1 year in college at the U. For me I see him and love it because he spent his 17-18 years growing up in the same city I did and to me he represents that city far more than the 1 year at UNLV. That's why Tyus, Khalid and those guys are semi heroes back home. They represent our city, even if they didn't represent our college.

Lets just hope we meet Duke in the tourney and pound em. Tre can do what he wants, but his decision surprises me because you would think he would want to step out of his brothers shadow.

I am a Gopher fan and I support the Gophers players regardless of where they went to high school. I am not a fan of Duke or their players. I am super excited about the up coming Gopher BB Season! Tre who?

Top Bottom