All Things Tre Jones Recruitment Thread

I think it's the opposite. If Tre was willing to come here he would want the starting job and given all the minutes right away.

Duke is infinitely more prestigious and better than the Gophers and that is why he would be more willing to sit at Duke vs. sitting for the Gophers.

Riding the bench at Duke probably isn't going to get him much closer to the NBA than riding the bench at Minnesota. If he has his sights set on leaving early for the NBA, then I don't think Washington would be a much bigger obstacle than Garland.

If going to the NBA is the ultimate goal then I don't think there is a huge difference between Duke and Minnesota, if Garland commits to Duke. If playing for a prestigious college program is his goal, then Duke is the obvious choice.

Hard to blame him if he goes elsewhere. The Gophers have made epic strides from the recruitment of Tyus to Tre, but obviously we're not at Duke's level. It would be a great story (likely an SI cover story) if a long downtrodden team was revived by a bunch of MN kids deciding to stay home. Meanwhile, the brother of the biggest fish of the four is part of a re-birth of the NBA franchise a few miles across town. All that as the MN youth/HS scene is exploding in participation and relevance. The story writes itself. From all accounts, Tre is a high quality young man and I wish him the best wherever he ends up.

It is the chicken or the egg dilemma. Duke is Duke because they get those type of players. We will can complete with Duke if we get those type of players. Pitino has started to build up to that level, but he needs the players to believe in him and the U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is the chicken or the egg dilemma. Duke is Duke because they get those type of players. We will can complete with Duke if we get those type of players. Pitino has started to build up to that level, but he needs the players to believe in him and the U.

I get what you're saying, but it's really not a "chicken or the egg" type of thing. Duke and Coach K are what they are with or without Tre. For the U to ever sniff that territory, we need guys like Tre staying home.

If we get Tre him and Washington will be starting next to each other.

Only if Amir leaves after this year. I'd be very surprised to see someone beat out Dupree as a senior. Isaiah I think would likely come off the bench if we got Tre.

Only if Amir leaves after this year. I'd be very surprised to see someone beat out Dupree as a senior. Isaiah I think would likely come off the bench if we got Tre.

Guess what Dupree probably won't even be starting this year by Big Ten season as it will be Washington and Mason with instant scoring off the bench from Dupree. This was also a roll the Dupree enjoyed last season.

Also don't be shocked if Mason starts at the 2 and Washington at the 1. One of the biggest complaints from a season ago was Mason wouldn't get teammates involved and just chuck up shots from everywhere when he was cold. So now if Washington is bringing up the ball and dishing to other guys and then Mason is off his game from the 2 at least others are getting touches.

What is Amir transferring? I highly doubt that. Oh my I don't think u realize how good Washington is.

Guess what Dupree probably won't even be starting this year by Big Ten season as it will be Washington and Mason with instant scoring off the bench from Dupree. This was also a roll the Dupree enjoyed last season.

Also don't be shocked if Mason starts at the 2 and Washington at the 1. One of the biggest complaints from a season ago was Mason wouldn't get teammates involved and just chuck up shots from everywhere when he was cold. So now if Washington is bringing up the ball and dishing to other guys and then Mason is off his game from the 2 at least others are getting touches.

I don't think I ever heard that complaint before, at least not consistently to say it was one of the biggest complaints.

Nate Mason needs the ball in his hand to be Nate Mason, he excels in the high pick n roll and if he is on, it's very enjoyable to watch.

I cannot think of many times that Nate caught the ball and shot or worked to get open off the ball. Why would you make that his primary role?

The whole team is dribble drive weave action and a high screen and roll. There is room for 2 primary ball handlers on the floor at the same time, but there is about a 0% chance that Nate Mason starts with Issiah and is designated to be the non primary ball handler. He was a 1st team All B1G 10 last year for christ sake.

No idea what will transpire. But Mason played very well off the ball as a freshman and I'd dare to say was more efficient in that role. If Pitino decided to play Isaiah at the point and Mason off the ball it shouldn't be a problem. Pitino himself has said that the 2 playing in the backcourt together is a possibility.

I don't think I ever heard that complaint before, at least not consistently to say it was one of the biggest complaints.

Nate Mason needs the ball in his hand to be Nate Mason, he excels in the high pick n roll and if he is on, it's very enjoyable to watch.

I cannot think of many times that Nate caught the ball and shot or worked to get open off the ball. Why would you make that his primary role?

The whole team is dribble drive weave action and a high screen and roll. There is room for 2 primary ball handlers on the floor at the same time, but there is about a 0% chance that Nate Mason starts with Issiah and is designated to be the non primary ball handler. He was a 1st team All B1G 10 last year for christ sake.

AGREE!!! Nate will be the PG....All season. I can see them designing plays where they are both on the floor and switch rolls, but Nate will be the starting PG all season(barring injury)

AGREE!!! Nate will be the PG....All season. I can see them designing plays where they are both on the floor and switch rolls, but Nate will be the starting PG all season(barring injury)

I could see Pitino tweaking the offense to allow either Washington or Mason be the primary ballhandler depending on the flow following a basket or a rebound. We would have a faster offense if either is allowed to set up from the point than trying to get the rock to a specific player to set the offense.

I'd be very surprised if that were the case.

I also wouldn't be surprised at all if Dupree were an All Big Ten guy his senior year. Really think you guys are underestimating him.

Will the Pulley 3 be able to convince Tre to stay home for the Pulley 4?

I think we may be getting ahead of ourselves on Tre. Seems like a lot of optimism. I don't think Thomas and Kalscheur don't really change that much (not exactly superteam). I felt better when I thought he may not be the top priority of Coach K. Lately, it's sounds like he is option A for Duke.

If he wants to come here, great. He may just do that, and I'd be thrilled. But, I hope this doesn't turn into Pitino waiting around until NSD, and missing out on some other kids with whom he may have had a shot.

I could see Pitino tweaking the offense to allow either Washington or Mason be the primary ballhandler depending on the flow following a basket or a rebound. We would have a faster offense if either is allowed to set up from the point than trying to get the rock to a specific player to set the offense.

That's already the case, that's not a tweak.

However, for someone to suggest that IW will be the primary ball handler/"pg" position in a set offensive play , I personally wouldn't buy that.

per Jace:

“They’ve done a great job in terms of identifying these kids when they were younger and making them a priority, and the fruits of their labor have paid off,” said Paul Biancardi, ESPN’s national director of recruiting. “Now, with this class, it shows that they’ve made in-roads in the state, and that’s so important, because there’s some really good talent in the state of Minnesota.”

“I feel like the coaching staff is recruiting in-state kids now, where past coaching staffs, I don’t know how much they really recruited in state, those types of kids,” said Apple Valley point guard Tre Jones, likely the Gophers’ top 2018 target. “I feel like the prospects in Minnesota have proven in the past what they can do in the college level, and so the coaching staff here sees that and are going after in-state kids.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/2...rs-basketball-team-secures-states-top-talent/

Go Gophers!!

per Jace:

“They’ve done a great job in terms of identifying these kids when they were younger and making them a priority, and the fruits of their labor have paid off,” said Paul Biancardi, ESPN’s national director of recruiting. “Now, with this class, it shows that they’ve made in-roads in the state, and that’s so important, because there’s some really good talent in the state of Minnesota.”

“I feel like the coaching staff is recruiting in-state kids now, where past coaching staffs, I don’t know how much they really recruited in state, those types of kids,” said Apple Valley point guard Tre Jones, likely the Gophers’ top 2018 target. “I feel like the prospects in Minnesota have proven in the past what they can do in the college level, and so the coaching staff here sees that and are going after in-state kids.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/2...rs-basketball-team-secures-states-top-talent/

Go Gophers!!

I can't really think of many in-state guys in the last ten years who were worthy of Gopher offers and didn't get them. Maybe Goanar Mar, Sacar Anim, Kevin Noreen, and (kind of) Brad Davison, but we ended up getting a higher rated recruit at the same position. Unless he's referring to guys like Nate Wolters, Reggie Lynch, Mike Muscala, and Joey King, who didn't get any high major offers out of high school. Tubby didn't take many in-state kids in his last few years because there werent many that were worth taking.

I guess I just don't think there's much evidence to support Tre's statement that we frequently pass up on worthy in-state prospects.

I can't really think of many in-state guys in the last ten years who were worthy of Gopher offers and didn't get them. Maybe Goanar Mar, Sacar Anim, Kevin Noreen, and (kind of) Brad Davison, but we ended up getting a higher rated recruit at the same position. Unless he's referring to guys like Nate Wolters, Reggie Lynch, Mike Muscala, and Joey King, who didn't get any high major offers out of high school. Tubby didn't take many in-state kids in his last few years because there werent many that were worth taking.

I guess I just don't think there's much evidence to support Tre's statement that we frequently pass up on worthy in-state prospects.

Good I thought I was the only one thinking that. We got Royce, Rodney, & Trevor. These guys we didn't offer weren't get much interest from other P5 schools so I don't get who he is referring to

Good I thought I was the only one thinking that. We got Royce, Rodney, & Trevor. These guys we didn't offer weren't get much interest from other P5 schools so I don't get who he is referring to

Might he be referring to his brother to the extent how much he was or wasn't recruited when he was younger, before Pitino was here? And I am just making a wild guess. Maybe Tubby was trying hard to forge a relationship with him? I have no idea, others of you may know more.

Might he be referring to his brother to the extent how much he was or wasn't recruited when he was younger, before Pitino was here? And I am just making a wild guess. Maybe Tubby was trying hard to forge a relationship with him? I have no idea, others of you may know more.

He offered Tyus & Rashad. I don't know if he offered Reid and he didn't offer Macura, but he offered all the upper echelon players

Jordon Taylor, and Joe Leuer at Wisconsin? Don't know how much Taylor was recruited. Leuer I recall we missed out on because we were down to one opening and Hoff took it. Also Leuer was perhaps not developed as a high school player but more of a project at the time?

Truthfully, there are probably 50 people on this site that follow Gophers recruiting much closer than Tre would have when he was in middle school (and before). He was just answering a question obviously. I wouldn't put much stock into that answer, specifically regarding the recruiting habits of previous coaching regimes.

Recruiting/offering someone is vastly different than recruiting the hell out of someone. Meaning Tubby was lazy. I know of one prominent D-1 player who never so much as got a letter from Tubby, even though he was pretty solidly on the radar. Pitino did offer him, but it was too little too late. I'm certain Tre's comment is simply about the effort, not the number of offers.

Recruiting/offering someone is vastly different than recruiting the hell out of someone. Meaning Tubby was lazy. I know of one prominent D-1 player who never so much as got a letter from Tubby, even though he was pretty solidly on the radar. Pitino did offer him, but it was too little too late. I'm certain Tre's comment is simply about the effort, not the number of offers.

That could only be JP or Reid either way those 2 both blew up that summer after Tubby was fired.

Top Bottom