All Things Tre Jones Recruitment Thread

What was your favorite "we have a chance with Jones" moment?

If the rumors are true it shouldn't come as much of a surprise. As I tried to point out a page or two before, with Duke looking favorites for other high end targets in the class it was always going to be Jones or Garland and not both. This would suggest the inevitable ultimatum was given by the Duke staff and Tre either cancels his vists he's been talking about taking all summer and commits or they move on. The number of 2018 offers the Gophers have thrown out in the past few weeks with just one scholarship left should speak volumes as to what the situation is.

Certainly doesn't look good for the Gophers. However, I could still see Duke taking both Tre and Garland. How could they turn down Garland/Tre? Here's to hoping Hunter picks the Gophers.

Certainly doesn't look good for the Gophers. However, I could still see Duke taking both Tre and Garland. How could they turn down Garland/Tre? Here's to hoping Hunter picks the Gophers.

For some of who don't follow recruiting services or web sites, who is Hunter?

Because of where their chances are with the best shooting guard and the best small forward in the class. There's a chance the Duke staff could turn one of those guys down in favor of taking Garland/Jones but Reddish and Barrett are generational talents. They would be tough to turn down especially since the 18 class could very well be K's last chance at a title before retiring. Thinking long term I don't see the appeal of going to Duke from Tre's perspective. He'll without a doubt be on a great Duke team but being the 3rd option doesn't do much for his own development or his draft stock. We're seeing more and more NBA teams prioritize guys that are the vocal point of their team and those guys seem to have more success in the league as well but hopefully it works out for him if he ends up there.

Can somebody spill the beans on what this supposed bad news really is? All I've seen is "source says it doesn't look good." But that literally does not mean anything.

If someone really new the facts, they would post it.

Can somebody spill the beans on what this supposed bad news really is? All I've seen is "source says it doesn't look good." But that literally does not mean anything.

Jones decision

Well yeah, but I don't see anywhere that he's actually made a decision. As far as bad news, it just seems to be vague rumors about where he will go, without any real evidencd
I think it has a lot to do with the fact that we have recently offered other players. Speculation is that's because the Gophs staff don't feel at all confident well get him.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Maybe the paywall knows more than I think, but it seems pretty clickbaity.

Seems to me a lot of Insider or pay sites throw out headlines like "Tre Jones decision not looking good for Gophers" and then when you get in, someone told them Tre might be leaning harder towards Duke. They likely don't know, but need to generate hits and revenue.

Because of where their chances are with the best shooting guard and the best small forward in the class. There's a chance the Duke staff could turn one of those guys down in favor of taking Garland/Jones but Reddish and Barrett are generational talents. They would be tough to turn down especially since the 18 class could very well be K's last chance at a title before retiring. Thinking long term I don't see the appeal of going to Duke from Tre's perspective. He'll without a doubt be on a great Duke team but being the 3rd option doesn't do much for his own development or his draft stock. We're seeing more and more NBA teams prioritize guys that are the vocal point of their team and those guys seem to have more success in the league as well but hopefully it works out for him if he ends up there.

Tyus was the 4th option and it worked out alright for him.

Yeah that definitely wasn't the case. Not to go too far into Duke talk but Okafor and Cook had big roles but Tyus' role grew as the season went on but the ball always went through him. Winslow was the type of player that didn't need the ball to make an impact and wasn't the ball stopper guys like Reddish and Barrett are.

um

Tyus was THE point guard. That makes him the first option as he showed in the final. Speculation is Tre possibly wouldn't be the THE point guard at Duke....completely different discussion.

The glass half full thought might be that the Gophers are putting pressure on Tre to commit by going after others. Only one left Tre!

Tyus was THE point guard. That makes him the first option as he showed in the final. Speculation is Tre possibly wouldn't be the THE point guard at Duke....completely different discussion.

Why wouldn't Tre be the point guard though? He has destroyed Darius Garland everytime they have matched up and his game is similar to Tyus but more athletic.

Why wouldn't Tre be the point guard though? He has destroyed Darius Garland everytime they have matched up and his game is similar to Tyus but more athletic.

Tre would be the guy at PG even if they also take Garland. Also Tre probably isn't a one and done. Tyus was not planning on going that route until he built his stock higher than it ever would have been and won a national championship. Plus, I have always had a feeling that Flip gave Tyus a round 1 guarantee and that is why he ultimately went pro. I'm not saying Tre will be in school for 4 years, but don't think he's planning to be a one and done as of right now.

Tre would be the guy at PG even if they also take Garland. Also Tre probably isn't a one and done. Tyus was not planning on going that route until he built his stock higher than it ever would have been and won a national championship. Plus, I have always had a feeling that Flip gave Tyus a round 1 guarantee and that is why he ultimately went pro. I'm not saying Tre will be in school for 4 years, but don't think he's planning to be a one and done as of right now.

Top ten recruit has a bigger more athletic frame than Tyus. Doesn't have Tyus' vision but Tre has a legit chance if he wants

Top ten recruit has a bigger more athletic frame than Tyus. Doesn't have Tyus' vision but Tre has a legit chance if he wants

I'm not saying he won't be a one and done. Just saying it is far from a lock, especially as a 6-2 guard. Hope people remember that Tyus basically had a storybook freshman season, and probably would have gone back to school if not for all he accomplished in his first year. Tre is certainly bigger and more athletic than Tyus, and will probably have a more NBA-ready body after one year of college, not disputing that. But because of that Tre may be in a different position than Tyus in that he could still improve his draft stock after his freshman year, whereas Tyus was always going to be undersized and never really had a chance to be a lottery pick.

Um, is there any actual news about a decision coming, or is it all dumbass conjecture?

Um, is there any actual news about a decision coming, or is it all dumbass conjecture?

Every last post has been dumbass conjecture. It really just needed to be labeled as such. Thank you so very much! :p

I'm not saying he won't be a one and done. Just saying it is far from a lock, especially as a 6-2 guard. Hope people remember that Tyus basically had a storybook freshman season, and probably would have gone back to school if not for all he accomplished in his first year. Tre is certainly bigger and more athletic than Tyus, and will probably have a more NBA-ready body after one year of college, not disputing that. But because of that Tre may be in a different position than Tyus in that he could still improve his draft stock after his freshman year, whereas Tyus was always going to be undersized and never really had a chance to be a lottery pick.

Not many players actually improve their stock from one year to the next I can only think of a few such as Marcus Smart, and this year with Miles Bridges (likely). These cases had more to do with the players at their position in the class behind them more than anything else. It is often better to go after year one than wait around a bit and have your game critiqued too much.

(*My post is purely Dumbass conjecture)

The only people who know what Tre is going to do, aren't talking.

Yeah that definitely wasn't the case. Not to go too far into Duke talk but Okafor and Cook had big roles but Tyus' role grew as the season went on but the ball always went through him. Winslow was the type of player that didn't need the ball to make an impact and wasn't the ball stopper guys like Reddish and Barrett are.

Of course the ball always went through Tyus, he's the PG, but he was still a pass first PG. Tre's going to be the PG too.

The only people who know what Tre is going to do, aren't talking.

That means he's waiting to commit to an out of state team so he doesn't have to listen to Minnesota people labeling him a traitor.

Not many players actually improve their stock from one year to the next I can only think of a few such as Marcus Smart, and this year with Miles Bridges (likely). These cases had more to do with the players at their position in the class behind them more than anything else. It is often better to go after year one than wait around a bit and have your game critiqued too much.

(*My post is purely Dumbass conjecture)

Of course, I mean 19 year olds are drafted for what they could be, not what they are. My only point has been that people shouldn't assume he is a one and done. It all depends on how that first year goes. If he has an outstanding first year, I'd bet he leaves. But anything less than that and it's more likely he stays.

Duke staff is extremely confident Tre will be committing soon. So that should tell you which way he's leaning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom