All Things Tre Jones Recruitment Thread

It is, just ask our president! Thats why he will have taken 53ish vacation days over the first 7 months of his presidency.

Wait- he said he wouldn't take vacation- impossible fake news. But we digress...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm betting Tre announces he is going to ... .. . college!

A person who would know and who I trust tells me Duke is the favorite, with the Gophers and UCLA being dark horses. This same person said Tre canceled his official visit to the U. Take that for what it's worth being that he probably didn't need the official visit anyway, knowing the program and players well enough.

Anything can change, but don't be surprised if he's off to Durham.

I refuse to get my hopes up past 2%. Thanks Reid Travis.

I'm with all those that have the gut feeling he is headed to Duke but if he really is committed to stepping out of his brothers shadow then Duke is the last place should be heading to for college. Tyus was a key piece in leading them to a National Title. If Tre goes there and does anything less than that he will be seen as not living up to his brothers performance at Duke. MN or UCLA make way more sense if he truly wants to make his own name and if he really wants to be "The Guy" then Minnesota is far and away his best option. If he goes to Duke he will be in with other top recruits and in his brothers shadow, if he goes to UCLA he will be in the Ball family circus, if he goes to Minnesota he could become a local legend.

Won't surprise me one bit when he commits to Duke on Sunday but man I hope he picks the U and shocks the world.

well, if he is going to "write his own story", doesn't that imply he won't be heading to Duke? If not, then he is following his brother's story. Who knows, but his boys already committed here, so why not him. I am going to hold out hope for this one...... C'mon Tre, we need a Final 4 banner that stays hung.......

Could just mean that he should do what's best for him. That could still be Duke.

I'm with all those that have the gut feeling he is headed to Duke but if he really is committed to stepping out of his brothers shadow then Duke is the last place should be heading to for college. Tyus was a key piece in leading them to a National Title. If Tre goes there and does anything less than that he will be seen as not living up to his brothers performance at Duke. MN or UCLA make way more sense if he truly wants to make his own name and if he really wants to be "The Guy" then Minnesota is far and away his best option. If he goes to Duke he will be in with other top recruits and in his brothers shadow, if he goes to UCLA he will be in the Ball family circus, if he goes to Minnesota he could become a local legend.

Won't surprise me one bit when he commits to Duke on Sunday but man I hope he picks the U and shocks the world.

I forgot about the Ball family circus. That should help

My guess is that yes "stepping out of his brother's shadow" is a factor, but the biggest factor is how does he get into the NBA. I don't think he is thinking about making a legacy in college, but rather doing something in the NBA. Unfortunately he saw an up close road map of getting into the NBA in one year, which he could easily see himself fitting into, and he probably doesn't want to mess with that formula too much.

Pitino needs to convince him that the road to the NBA through Minnesota is just as legit or maybe more so, and then sprinkle on the other bonuses like "out of the shadow", local hero, and playing with your friends. Tough sell, but who knows, maybe Pitino can pull it off.

I think Arizona was very much in play, and them signing the 5-star 2018 PG last week made his decision. What I don't know for sure is whether that decision was between AZ and UCLA, MN, or Duke, but it would seem to me that he probably narrowed it down to AZ plus 1.

I know one of Tyus and Tre's family members, and they indicated that he really was considering the U and that it wasn't all just for show. That said, there were some weird things like Coach Pitino not calling or texting him on his birthday or something like that, which rubbed Tre the wrong way. Kids make decisions for weird reasons.

I think Arizona was very much in play, and them signing the 5-star 2018 PG last week made his decision. What I don't know for sure is whether that decision was between AZ and UCLA, MN, or Duke, but it would seem to me that he probably narrowed it down to AZ plus 1.

I know one of Tyus and Tre's family members, and they indicated that he really was considering the U and that it wasn't all just for show. That said, there were some weird things like Coach Pitino not calling or texting him on his birthday or something like that, which rubbed Tre the wrong way. Kids make decisions for weird reasons.

Just my opinion, but when I hear about things like this (he didn't call me on my birthday) it just screams out to me that he never seriously considered the U and is using trivial nonsense this to justify why he was turning them down after giving them "serious" consideration.

AZ actually signed 2 big time PG's recently

Just my opinion, but when I hear about things like this (he didn't call me on my birthday) it just screams out to me that he never seriously considered the U and is using trivial nonsense this to justify why he was turning them down after giving them "serious" consideration.

+1

Tre never considered the U.

Hasn't been considering Arizona since like May. I think everyone basically knows it is Duke or Minnesota. Minnesota has done everything they can and when Gabe committed to the Gophers there was a very real possibility of Tre comitting too. Now most feel it will be Duke for whatever reason and sounds like those with the Duke program are pretty confident as well. I've prepared myself that it will probably be Duke but will hold out hope that Tre really wants to build his own legacy and become a legend here and not just another guy at Duke.
Some kids do make decisions for weird reasons but what you wrote about some birthday call/text being part of the reason if he ends up not picking Minnesota is completely false.

That's a good point.

If Tre does indeed commit to Duke Pitino should call in Monson to flip him like he did for Rickert and Humphries.

Relationships, relationships, relationships.

Coach K has had a chance to build a great one with Tre since he began recruiting Tyus. It was an uphill battle from the jump. Tyus's success during his one year there was just icing on the cake.

Competing against a HOF level coach who's used to recruiting this level of a prospect is a tall order for any experienced coach, let alone still trying to prove himself as a consistent winner

Here's to hoping we can break the streak in the next few years by getting Hurt and/or Suggs.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Curious as to what information is there that he has picked Duke ?

Curious as to what information is there that he has picked Duke ?

I think it's just the perception for a while paired with the recent history of not being able to keep the top 25 type players from going out of state for school. Personally I was really encouraged to see Tyus' tweet. That at leasts leaves open the chance for him to choose MN over Duke.

He has always been under his brother's shadow. If he picks Minnesota he has a chance to leave something special on this program and perhaps change the way people see the program moving forward. Can't blame him if he picks Duke and the chance to play Coach K, but he can leave a much bigger legacy at UMN

Am I the only who gets annoyed by these posts?

For what it's worth on the 247 board Kyle claims that he hard that Tre recently cancelled a visit that was planned for "down the road" to the U. Obviously not a great sign.

Am I the only who gets annoyed by these posts?

For what it's worth on the 247 board Kyle claims that he hard that Tre recently cancelled a visit that was planned for "down the road" to the U. Obviously not a great sign.

Gotta ignore the trolls and they'll go away.

There's been some talk he was given an ultimatum by Duke so him cancelling the visit and announcing earlier than he had been saying makes sense. Relationships are everything as mnhoopboy points out and K sitting with the Jones family at one of Pulley's AAU games (quite the power move) shows the trust and relationship between their family and the Duke staff. Which in turn should give optimism on Matthew Hurt but we'll see what happens.

Gotta ignore the trolls and they'll go away.

There's been some talk he was given an ultimatum by Duke so him cancelling the visit and announcing earlier than he had been saying makes sense. Relationships are everything as mnhoopboy points out and K sitting with the Jones family at one of Pulley's AAU games (quite the power move) shows the trust and relationship between their family and the Duke staff. Which in turn should give optimism on Matthew Hurt but we'll see what happens.

Optimism for whom? Duke or the Gophers? Not sure I get the connect to Hurt.

Optimism for whom? Duke or the Gophers? Not sure I get the connect to Hurt.
Optimism for the Gophers since they have a developed relationship with Matt Hurts family, the same way Coach K has with the Jones family.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Top Bottom