All Things Tre Jones Recruitment Thread

Recruiting/offering someone is vastly different than recruiting the hell out of someone. Meaning Tubby was lazy. I know of one prominent D-1 player who never so much as got a letter from Tubby, even though he was pretty solidly on the radar. Pitino did offer him, but it was too little too late. I'm certain Tre's comment is simply about the effort, not the number of offers.

I have to imagine this is JP Macura, right? The Gophers didn't offer him until July (3 months on the job for Pitino), and then he committed to Xavier in September.

Not when Tubby was here

I'm having trouble finding definitive proof, but I'm almost certain Tubby offered Reid Travis. In a February 2013 interview with Amelia Rayno, he mentions having gone to a couple of Gopher games, being familiar with most of the Gopher staff, with Ron Jirsa in particular, and having about 25 offers. Given all of that, I'm pretty sure Tubby offered him.

http://m.startribune.com/rayno-a-recruiting-update-with-reid-travis/191530021/

Macura did not have an offer from Tubby, nor from any other college coach at the time Tubby was fired. Xavier offered about 2 and a half weeks before we did.

http://247sports.com/Player/JP-Macura-28018/TimelineEvents?Page=2

Like golfing18now said, Tre is probably just making an off the cuff remark, and didn't do an hour of internet research before making it. If he thinks we should put more effort into recruiting guys like Gary Trent and Tyus Jones, then we might just have to agree to disagree. If a guy has his eyes set on a blue blood, then I think the coach is right to start pursuing more interested prospects instead.

I have seen people remark before though that Tubby did not recruit Minnesota well, which I don't believe is true. He just missed out on the Big 3 in 2014 and didn't offer mid-major level in-state players.

I think sometimes people, even players, sometimes get confused on the difference between receiving an offer and being recruited by a particular school.

I'm having trouble finding definitive proof, but I'm almost certain Tubby offered Reid Travis. In a February 2013 interview with Amelia Rayno, he mentions having gone to a couple of Gopher games, being familiar with most of the Gopher staff, with Ron Jirsa in particular, and having about 25 offers. Given all of that, I'm pretty sure Tubby offered him.

http://m.startribune.com/rayno-a-recruiting-update-with-reid-travis/191530021/

Macura did not have an offer from Tubby, nor from any other college coach at the time Tubby was fired. Xavier offered about 2 and a half weeks before we did.

http://247sports.com/Player/JP-Macura-28018/TimelineEvents?Page=2

Like golfing18now said, Tre is probably just making an off the cuff remark, and didn't do an hour of internet research before making it. If he thinks we should put more effort into recruiting guys like Gary Trent and Tyus Jones, then we might just have to agree to disagree. If a guy has his eyes set on a blue blood, then I think the coach is right to start pursuing more interested prospects instead.

I have seen people remark before though that Tubby did not recruit Minnesota well, which I don't believe is true. He just missed out on the Big 3 in 2014 and didn't offer mid-major level in-state players.

I agree with you that was my original point. Tubby went after all the high level guys and he was fired before the big three committed any where. There is a major misconception the previous coaches didn't recruit Minnesota kids but the truth is they didn't off the mid major guys

I agree with you that was my original point. Tubby went after all the high level guys and he was fired before the big three committed any where. There is a major misconception the previous coaches didn't recruit Minnesota kids but the truth is they didn't off the mid major guys

I absolutely think the old staff recruited top Minnesota talent I just think it was also very clear that they had very little chance of landing most of the top in state guys for one reason or another. It is clear that the current staff is putting a high priority on landing top in state talent and those players are starting to take notice.

Offering the "can't miss" players is one thing. Developing a relationship with a wide swath of young prospects, not yet certain of how they will develop in the coming years, is another. One is lazy, one takes effort. I believe that is the gist of his comment, and I believe it's true.

I absolutely think the old staff recruited top Minnesota talent I just think it was also very clear that they had very little chance of landing most of the top in state guys for one reason or another. It is clear that the current staff is putting a high priority on landing top in state talent and those players are starting to take notice.

It took a while for us to get to this point Jarvis was the first domino to fall but let's not act like we weren't complaining about last year missing out on all the top Minnesota recruits (Reuvers, John, Wright, Davison, Sims)

It took a while for us to get to this point Jarvis was the first domino to fall but let's not act like we weren't complaining about last year missing out on all the top Minnesota recruits (Reuvers, John, Wright, Davison, Sims)

Lots of hand wringing on that as I recall, especially in the media. Success purges memories. Last year's recruiting "misses" on the local front had the press and low information followers piling on Pitino. One good year and a good recruiting class of local players and hardly anyone can remember last year.

Curious, what were those guys, Reuvers, Wright, Davison, Sims all ranked or rated, and which one of those guys would you rather have instead of Washington?

And when you miss out on all the top local players when you are still an unknown for the most part, as Pitino did with his 2nd class was it? That is one thing.

Not getting a single local player last year? Well, after the way that season went, and still getting Washington, did he really do that bad of a job? Harris fits our needs, right? Maybe one or more of those guys you listed would have been a better recruit than Harris, but we honestly won't know for sure until at least a few months from now, if not a few years?

And like you said Holy Man, it was "low information followers" piling on Pitino, and the press who always will no matter what. Hell I can imagine them criticizing Pitino for taking in state guys when he could have gotten better players from other states, lol.

But no matter how we got where we are today, isn't it frigging awesome to finally be right where we are now, again! It's been too long.

These are all Rivals:

Brad Davison - 4 stars - #93
Goanar Mar - 3 stars - unranked
McKinley Wright - 3 stars - unranked
Nathan Reuvers - 4 stars - #79
Ishmael El-Amin - 3 stars - unranked
Jericho Sims - 4 stars - #56
Theo John - 3 stars - unranked

I prefer Washington to all those guys. Wish we could have gotten a few of the other guys. I really hope that we don't end up with any more roster cloggers like Gaston in the future.

These are all Rivals:

Brad Davison - 4 stars - #93
Goanar Mar - 3 stars - unranked
McKinley Wright - 3 stars - unranked
Nathan Reuvers - 4 stars - #79
Ishmael El-Amin - 3 stars - unranked
Jericho Sims - 4 stars - #56
Theo John - 3 stars - unranked

I prefer Washington to all those guys. Wish we could have gotten a few of the other guys. I really hope that we don't end up with any more roster cloggers like Gaston in the future.

Well, it was a 2 player class, right, or did we not use available schollies?
Because you said that you prefer Washington to all those guys, and I agree, and I think others probably do as well. But then you said that you wished we could have gotten "a few" of the other guys? Was there more than one spot open? Or are you talking about PWOs maybe?

That was honestly the one year I paid the least attention to recruiting. So sorry if my questions annoy anyone.

Were some of those guys players that we wouldn't have needed because of the position they played? Did we pursue some of them? And where did they all end up?

I guess to get right to the point, with Washington being a good pick up, maybe or arguably better than all those listed, how many of those guys could be argued to be legitimate "misses"? Because honestly, not sure unranked 3 star guys should be considered misses? I mean, maybe they are a diamond in the rough, and being in our back yard we should recognize their potential better than others? And yes, Harris was only a 3 star, so I am not saying we got the best 2 players possible.

But occasionally there is going to be a miss. I'd rather have a 3 star guy from Wyoming or Cali who when he doesn't work out bolts back home for BSU or UCSD or something like that than a Gaston or a homeboy, who prefers the idea of just staying on board for his entire 4 years becoming a roster clogger. Now a homeboy willing to walk on, now I LOVE those guys!!!

Because you said that you prefer Washington to all those guys, and I agree, and I think others probably do as well. But then you said that you wished we could have gotten "a few" of the other guys? Was there more than one spot open? Or are you talking about PWOs maybe?

That was honestly the one year I paid the least attention to recruiting. So sorry if my questions annoy anyone.

Were some of those guys players that we wouldn't have needed because of the position they played? Did we pursue some of them? And where did they all end up?

I guess to get right to the point, with Washington being a good pick up, maybe or arguably better than all those listed, how many of those guys could be argued to be legitimate "misses"? Because honestly, not sure unranked 3 star guys should be considered misses? I mean, maybe they are a diamond in the rough, and being in our back yard we should recognize their potential better than others? And yes, Harris was only a 3 star, so I am not saying we got the best 2 players possible.

But occasionally there is going to be a miss. I'd rather have a 3 star guy from Wyoming or Cali who when he doesn't work out bolts back home for BSU or UCSD or something like that than a Gaston or a homeboy, who prefers the idea of just staying on board for his entire 4 years becoming a roster clogger. Now a homeboy willing to walk on, now I LOVE those guys!!!

When I said I wish we could have gotten a few more of those guys, I mostly just wish we had more open scholarships to grab a few. PG was a huge need for us and I prefer Washington to Davison, but would've been happy with either.

I don't know that much about recruiting, so my takes should be taken with a massive grain of salt. To be honest I don't know much about Jamir Harris. As far as I can tell, he is a shooter and I have not heard that he can do much else (drive/defend/handle). That strikes me as a gamble, when we have a lot of talented guys here in our backyard. Gabe Kalscheur just sounds like a better version of Jamir Harris, one who can defend and has 3 inches on him. Pitino signed him though so he must believe in him, and I will reserve judgment.

I don't have a problem getting guys from out of state when our instate guys aren't interested in us, which largely seems to be the case with John/Sims/Davison/Reuvers. So mostly I am just wishful that we could have convinced those guys to stay here.

I know there are always misses, but Gaston is a massive one. He has played 200 minutes for the Gophers in 3 years, and I am really surprised he isn't athletic enough to be a defensive presence with his size. The positive is from what I have heard he sounds like he is a good teammate.

If you want to know more about these players like where they ended up, just take a look a the Rivals recruit database by state. You might need to hit the search button again.

Reuvers stated we didn't really recruit him that hard. Davidson got a token offer the night before he committed to Wisconsin. Probably so Pitino could save face and not deal with the fact that Wisconsin plucked a top 190 kid in our back yard that we didn't even offer. Pitino seemed to prefer Wright but that ship sailed when Washington committed. We recruited Sims pretty hard but Shaka swooped in on that one. I think the dream scenario Pitino was Washington and Sims.

Trying to make sense of recruiting is nearly impossible, we are always going to miss out on local kids no matter how good we are or how well of a fit they are for the program. Wisconsin couldn't secure the services of their top local kids like stone, ellenson, looney, etc all while going to the final 4 twice leading up to the recruitment of these kids. That's just how it goes, can't dwell on the past, just move forward and hope you can get more than you miss out.

Sometimes kids just want to get out and start seeing the rest of the world.

Sometimes they actually want some separation from their family.

Do we love the Lindsey Whalens who grow up here, go to the U for 4 years, and then end up playing pro ball here? Hell yeah! She'll possibly get into coaching here in Minnesota down the line. Her kids could end up going to the U.

And to be honest, the U hasn't given young college bb players growing up in this state many reasons to feel a burning hot desire to play for the home team, not since the late 90s. Well, until this last season of course. And look, just one good season and we're getting 3 out of the 4, maybe all 4 of the in-staters we wanted. Imagine what a string of 4-5 seasons like last years(or better than) will do for instate recruiting.

I'm excited, for sure.

Trying to make sense of recruiting is nearly impossible, we are always going to miss out on local kids no matter how good we are or how well of a fit they are for the program. Wisconsin couldn't secure the services of their top local kids like stone, ellenson, looney, etc all while going to the final 4 twice leading up to the recruitment of these kids. That's just how it goes, can't dwell on the past, just move forward and hope you can get more than you miss out.

Just last week Wisconsin missed out on 4 star 6'8" power forward Joey Hauser from Stevens Point Wi., who stayed in state with his picking Marquette. Hauser was reported to have said his second choice would have been Wisconsin. It is a bit different in Wisconsin with two high level division 1 teams, unlike where Minnesota is likely the only place in the state a 4 star would go.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sport...merges-from-brothers-shadow-into-top-recruit/

He has coaches from Duke University, UCLA and his hometown University of Minnesota salivating over his five-star potential.

It really sounds that Tre is constantly fighting to step out of the shadows of his big brother. If he goes to Duke, he will always be referred to as Tyus's little brother. How can he top a National Title, and drafted in his Freshman at Duke. Tyus has set a very high bar at Duke.
If Tre goes to the U and he helps lead the team to a couple of good runs, he will create his own legacy in his home state. He will be in the same league as Bobby Jackson, Vince Grier, Voshon Leonard, etc...
In Minnesota, Tyus would be relegated to being called Tre's brother. Tre has the opportunity to write his own story, independent of his brother!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It really sounds that Tre is constantly fighting to step out of the shadows of his big brother. If he goes to Duke, he will always be referred to as Tyus's little brother. How can he top a National Title, and drafted in his Freshman at Duke. Tyus has set a very high bar at Duke.
If Tre goes to the U and he helps lead the team to a couple of good runs, he will create his own legacy in his home state. He will be in the same league as Bobby Jackson, Vince Grier, Voshon Leonard, etc...
In Minnesota, Tyus would be relegated to being called Tre's brother. Tre has the opportunity to write his own story, independent of his brother!

I love the way you think alchemy2u!!!

It really makes so much sense!

Kudos young man

The Gophers chances to get Tre went up exponentially after both Thomas and Kalscheur committed. It's not random that Tre was at both of their announcements. They're all buddies, and it wouldn't surprise me to see a situation where 4 local kids opted to stick together and try to make a 2019 Final 4 run. That's what high school kids are starting to do now, form super teams just like the NBA stars do.

The same person who I talked with a few months back, and this person would know, said it would "take a miracle" for the Gophers to get Tre. After Kalscheur committed, the person said "He has every reason to stay."

I still think Duke is the favorite and it's tough to say no to coach K, but it also wouldn't shock me if he stayed home. All I've heard is that he wants to make his decision before basketball season. The great thing in all of this is regardless of his decision, this recruiting class will be very good. With him, it could be top 10 in the country.

I know that Tre is being courted by everyone in the country and UCLA and Arizona have consistently listed in his Top 4. With that said, I think it comes down to Duke and the Gophers. I'd say the Gophers have about a 25% chance to land Tre which is 25% more than it was 6 months ago for me. I see no issues with Tre playing off the ball at times next to Isaiah and he certainly can defend Wings. Exciting times could turn ballistic with a pledge from Tre:

Tre Jones - 5* (Extremely talented with more upside than Tyus)
Daniel Oturu - 4* (Defensive monster capable of playing C or PF)
Jarvis Thomas - 4* (Ultra athletic & active on both side of the ball)
Gabe Kalscheur - 4* (Excellent shooter & very underrated defensively)

I think anyone who prefers Wright or Davison (especially Davison) over IW is either nuts or just loves local players. Nothing I've seen from Davison makes me think he will be a good player in the B1G. I really struggle to see who he can defend from an athletic standpoint (please don't preach about how good he is at football) and how he will create his own shot again B1G defenders.

As for Tre, what he did to Wright AND Davison in the state tournament shows me how much better he is than both of them. Maybe he doesn't want to share the backcourt with IW, maybe he doesn't want to play in Minnesota regardless and maybe he sees himself as a 1 and done which means he wants to play for a blue blood/national title in his 1 year. Regardless of what he decides, I think Pitino has done a heckuva job landing local and national talent. It will continue into the future.

per Shooter:

Tre Jones, the point guard prodigy from Apple Valley, played for the Howard Pulley 17U team in a tournament in Las Vegas last week and returns home Sunday to begin scheduling official college visits to take place in late September and October.

The Gophers, who already have Minnesotan prep stars Jarvis Thomas, Daniel Oturu and Gabe Kalscheur committed, remain among considerations for Jones with Duke, Arizona, UCLA, Oregon, Baylor and Butler.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/29/charley-walters-vikings-rhodes-looking-for-more-money-up-front/

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

Tre Jones, the point guard prodigy from Apple Valley, played for the Howard Pulley 17U team in a tournament in Las Vegas last week and returns home Sunday to begin scheduling official college visits to take place in late September and October.

The Gophers, who already have Minnesotan prep stars Jarvis Thomas, Daniel Oturu and Gabe Kalscheur committed, remain among considerations for Jones with Duke, Arizona, UCLA, Oregon, Baylor and Butler.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/29/charley-walters-vikings-rhodes-looking-for-more-money-up-front/

Go Gophers!!

Hope we get him on campus with an open mind. I think getting Amir, Washington, Oturu etc in his ear all at once could make it a tough decision for him. And in the mean time let's all hope Garland commits to Duke before Tre makes his visits!

Shooting guard R.J. Barrett's reclassified to the 2018 class and is a heavy Duke lean. Arguably the best High School player in the country right now. More reason to keep an eye on the Darius Garland timetable as K probably only takes one point guard now.

Hope we get him on campus with an open mind. I think getting Amir, Washington, Oturu etc in his ear all at once could make it a tough decision for him. And in the mean time let's all hope Garland commits to Duke before Tre makes his visits!

Garland wants to play with Tre

Kalschuer, Oturu and Thomas want to play w/ Tre - I'd take my homeboys over a country music hick from Nashville.

Just last week Wisconsin missed out on 4 star 6'8" power forward Joey Hauser from Stevens Point Wi., who stayed in state with his picking Marquette. Hauser was reported to have said his second choice would have been Wisconsin. It is a bit different in Wisconsin with two high level division 1 teams, unlike where Minnesota is likely the only place in the state a 4 star would go.

True, and they've lost Kids to schools outside of Wisconsin as well

Not everyone likes standing around on offense

Top Bottom