All Things Tre Jones Recruitment Thread

Thanks. Somehow seeing Duke on the thread title bugged me. Like many I dislike them intensely.

FWIW I chatted with somebody close to Tre last week and was told it would "take a miracle" to get him to stay home and play for Minnesota. It's a person I trust, they were right on Tyus, Reid Travis and Macura. Let's hope that changes by the end of the summer.

FWIW I chatted with somebody close to Tre last week and was told it would "take a miracle" to get him to stay home and play for Minnesota. It's a person I trust, they were right on Tyus, Reid Travis and Macura. Let's hope that changes by the end of the summer.

This has been my feeling for awhile. I've moved on. My dream recruit is 2020's Jaylen Suggs from Minnehaha Academy.

31 points, 17 assists and 1 turnover today. I think he's a top 10 recruit in this class, whether the rankings say it or not.

31 points, 17 assists and 1 turnover today. I think he's a top 10 recruit in this class, whether the rankings say it or not.

7 rebounds and 3 steals too.

He is now 10th in the EYBL in scoring, #1 in assists and #4 in steals.

As good as that is for Tre, remember that Tyus led the EYBL in all 3 of those categories.

Tre isn't a one and done prospect. He will need 3 or 4 years. Minnesota would be his smartest choice for an NBA career. The Gopher have major talent for years to come and he would be a good fit. FWIW, Tyus should have stayed in college longer himself.

Tre isn't a one and done prospect. He will need 3 or 4 years. Minnesota would be his smartest choice for an NBA career. The Gopher have major talent for years to come and he would be a good fit. FWIW, Tyus should have stayed in college longer himself.

How can you say that? He was a first round pick.

Lol good one

How can you possibly make the argument that Tre coming to MN would be his smartest choice for an NBA career? Based on what?

Just got an alert saying that Duke just got a commitment from the #1 Point Guard in the country...Trevon Duval so that might move them down Tre's list a little if he is in fact looking for somewhere he can come in and play right away. Agree with those that think we are probably still a long shot to get him but would think this news could at the very least improve our chances a little bit.

Just got an alert saying that Duke just got a commitment from the #1 Point Guard in the country...Trevon Duval so that might move them down Tre's list a little if he is in fact looking for somewhere he can come in and play right away. Agree with those that think we are probably still a long shot to get him but would think this news could at the very least improve our chances a little bit.

Duval is a top 5 class of 2017 player in the country and very likely a one and done which would not affect Tre at all. They wouldn't play a single season together.

Duval is a top 5 class of 2017 player in the country and very likely a one and done which would not affect Tre at all. They wouldn't play a single season together.

Maybe, maybe not. A lot of things can happen, and he wouldn't decide until the spring. Maybe it's a non-issue for Tre, but would he sign in the fall not knowing for sure if Duval is leaving? Would he wait until the spring? I think it's fair to say that Duval to Duke definitely has an impact on Tre's recruitment.

Maybe, maybe not. A lot of things can happen, and he wouldn't decide until the spring. Maybe it's a non-issue for Tre, but would he sign in the fall not knowing for sure if Duval is leaving? Would he wait until the spring? I think it's fair to say that Duval to Duke definitely has an impact on Tre's recruitment.

I think that sounds like wishful thinking.

If Tre's not 1 and done, I think Coach K's status would be an issue. I don't see him going 4 or 5 more years. Gut feeling he's got about two years left in him, which is fine if Tre only plans to play 1.

How can you say that? He was a first round pick.

The NBA draft drops off big time after the top 5-10 usually. Back half of the first and especially the second are largely irrelevant. Physically Tyus could've benefited from staying in college. That's just a fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The NBA draft drops off big time after the top 5-10 usually. Back half of the first and especially the second are largely irrelevant. Physically Tyus could've benefited from staying in college. That's just a fact.

Did he physically mature his year in the NBA to become a top 10 talent?

Tyus simply isn't a top 10 talent. That's just fact. He cashed in at precisely the right moment and no amount of time in the NCAA was going to improve his draft stock beyond pick number 24 to Cleveland in what was likely a pick orchestrated by Minnesotas interest in the hometown kid as they shortly later traded 2 later picks and a 2019 pick for him that day.

How can you argue that Tyus' draft stock would have improved MORE had he spent longer in the NCAA when he has all of the facilities and time to hone his skill and get bigger WITHOUT school on top of it. There are examples of it happening, but it's very few and far between. NBA teams draft on potential stars in the top 10, Tyus's potential is not a top 10 player. Serviceable backup PG in the NBA? Sure. And thats exactly where he got drafted.

If Tre's not 1 and done, I think Coach K's status would be an issue. I don't see him going 4 or 5 more years. Gut feeling he's got about two years left in him, which is fine if Tre only plans to play 1.

I'll be surprised if Tre ends up at Duke. Why follow in your brothers footsteps who was a 1 and done and won a National Championship? High expectations to live up to.

95% chance he ends up on the west coast. 5% chance he ends up at Minnesota.

Did he physically mature his year in the NBA to become a top 10 talent?

Tyus simply isn't a top 10 talent. That's just fact. He cashed in at precisely the right moment and no amount of time in the NCAA was going to improve his draft stock beyond pick number 24 to Cleveland in what was likely a pick orchestrated by Minnesotas interest in the hometown kid as they shortly later traded 2 later picks and a 2019 pick for him that day.

How can you argue that Tyus' draft stock would have improved MORE had he spent longer in the NCAA when he has all of the facilities and time to hone his skill and get bigger WITHOUT school on top of it. There are examples of it happening, but it's very few and far between. NBA teams draft on potential stars in the top 10, Tyus's potential is not a top 10 player. Serviceable backup PG in the NBA? Sure. And thats exactly where he got drafted.

To answer the first question, yes I think he has matured physically and skill wise with his year in the NBA. Where he'd go in this years draft I don't know, probably right about him just not being talented enough. And financially and whatever he made the right choice maybe. All I said was that he would've benefited physically from another year in college. Guess it doesn't always help tho. Look at Kris Dunn [emoji849]

I'll be surprised if Tre ends up at Duke. Why follow in your brothers footsteps who was a 1 and done and won a National Championship? High expectations to live up to.

95% chance he ends up on the west coast. 5% chance he ends up at Minnesota.

As a 5-star prospect anywhere he goes, he'll have high expectations to live up to. You don't think the expectations here will be sky high? Fact is, he's developed a relationship with Coach K since he was in 5th grade, when Duke started recruiting Tyus. Relationships are a major deal in college recruiting so that can't be understated at all. The opportunity to learn from of the best coaches in the history of the game what I ultimately think wins out in this case.

That's nonsense. How would going back to school with restrictions benefit him more than being able to work on his game for a living. Tyus has physical limitations that wouldn't change from coming back to school. The staying in school extra time narrative is nonsense because the college game and NBA game is completely different

Who hasn't more recently one national coaching honors in their conference?

Pitino or coach Krybaby?

Coach k hasn't won that honor for 16 years. Has been washed up. Overrated.

Call me the hot take diva.

As a 5-star prospect anywhere he goes, he'll have high expectations to live up to. You don't think the expectations here will be sky high? Fact is, he's developed a relationship with Coach K since he was in 5th grade, when Duke started recruiting Tyus. Relationships are a major deal in college recruiting so that can't be understated at all. The opportunity to learn from of the best coaches in the history of the game what I ultimately think wins out in this case.

I don't disagree with what you wrote. However, as a 5* recruit, I think paving your own way and the possibility of winning a National Championship at a place where your brother didn't already do it, would also be attractive.

That's nonsense. How would going back to school with restrictions benefit him more than being able to work on his game for a living. Tyus has physical limitations that wouldn't change from coming back to school. The staying in school extra time narrative is nonsense because the college game and NBA game is completely different

That's why I said PHISICALLY he would've benefited. Look at him now and at Duke, and senior year of High school. Big changes. My only point was that he's kind of a scrawny kid that's still growing into his man body. That was it.

That's why I said PHISICALLY he would've benefited. Look at him now and at Duke, and senior year of High school. Big changes. My only point was that he's kind of a scrawny kid that's still growing into his man body. That was it.

Okay gotcha but if he stayed until his senior year he would likely be a 2nd rounder because it gives teams more time to dissect your weaknesses and the newer prospects would pass him with less film. It happened to Grayson Allen this year

Okay gotcha but if he stayed until his senior year he would likely be a 2nd rounder because it gives teams more time to dissect your weaknesses and the newer prospects would pass him with less film. It happened to Grayson Allen this year

I agree. I was more thinking one more year then go for it. Staying till your senior year is for bums... RIGHT KRIS DUNN!!?? is it just me or does he kinda suck for a no 5-6 overall guy that was supposed to be top 3? Sorry, unrelated I know...

I agree. I was more thinking one more year then go for it. Staying till your senior year is for bums... RIGHT KRIS DUNN!!?? is it just me or does he kinda suck for a no 5-6 overall guy that was supposed to be top 3? Sorry, unrelated I know...

If he can improve his shot his game wouldn't look as terrible but he def didn't have the year most thought he would

Top Bottom