All Things Tre Jones Recruitment Thread

He also said he doesn't want to commit to a place with another point guard and Duke is the favorite for Garland.

Ya I think it's going to depend how the dominos fall in this one. Good sign that Arizona signed a PG UCLA has the baby Ball brother in 19 plus they signed someone for 17. If Garland commits to Duke I think we are in good shape

Ya I think it's going to depend how the dominos fall in this one. Good sign that Arizona signed a PG UCLA has the baby Ball brother in 19 plus they signed someone for 17. If Garland commits to Duke I think we are in good shape

I'd love for us to land Tre but I think there's been a bit of talk about him being willing to play with Garland. In the interview there's even the suggestion of a package deal so who knows if that feeling has changed now that he's a potential OAD prospect. As you said it depends on how things shake out. The interesting part is despite Garland being a 5* the schools that seem to seriously be in in the mix for him are Duke, Vandy and Indiana (Kansas are prioritizing Quentin Grimes while Kentucky's prioritizing Immanuel Quickley). The hope is he sees that the writing is on the wall and he jumps at Duke before the summer's over but he's talked about taking his time in the process.

I don't know if it matters with a talent like Tre because he's going to play regardless but one thing that works in the Gophers favor is how deep Duke's backcourt would be when he gets on campus. Duval is a one and done but Trent may not be and if that's the case things get interesting with how K would sell minutes to Tre and Garland.

I'd love for us to land Tre but I think there's been a bit of talk about him being willing to play with Garland. In the interview there's even the suggestion of a package deal so who knows if that feeling has changed now that he's a potential OAD prospect. As you said it depends on how things shake out. The interesting part is despite Garland being a 5* the schools that seem to seriously be in in the mix for him are Duke, Vandy and Indiana (Kansas are prioritizing Quentin Grimes while Kentucky's prioritizing Immanuel Quickley). The hope is he sees that the writing is on the wall and he jumps at Duke before the summer's over but he's talked about taking his time in the process.

I don't know if it matters with a talent like Tre because he's going to play regardless but one thing that works in the Gophers favor is how deep Duke's backcourt would be when he gets on campus. Duval is a one and done but Trent may not be and if that's the case things get interesting with how K would sell minutes to Tre and Garland.

Gary Trent? He's def one and done

Gary Trent? He's def one and done

I suppose it's personal opinion but I don't think Trent's in a position to truly shine as a freshman at Duke. Duval's very much a ball dominant PG and there's a ton of hype around Grayson Allen who will take touches away from him. Odds are he declares after a season though but I'm not sure he plays himself into that type of status necessarily.

I suppose it's personal opinion but I don't think Trent's in a position to truly shine as a freshman at Duke. Duval's very much a ball dominant PG and there's a ton of hype around Grayson Allen who will take touches away from him. Odds are he declares after a season though but I'm not sure he plays himself into that type of status necessarily.

With a lot of 5-star guys, it doesnt matter. Alot are all in on being in college for a year and it doesn't matter how the season goes as long as it isn't a colossal failure they gone.

I tend to think Trent is that kid. Though I do disagree because I think he'll be in great position to shine. Playing alongside guards like Duvall and Allen can open things up for him and with the way that team spaces the floor and pushes the pace, he'll have a lot of opportunities to put up points. Plus Duke isn't an incredibly deep team this upcoming season even on the perimeter, so he could very well play 25-33 minutes a night.

With a lot of 5-star guys, it doesnt matter. Alot are all in on being in college for a year and it doesn't matter how the season goes as long as it isn't a colossal failure they gone.

I tend to think Trent is that kid. Though I do disagree because I think he'll be in great position to shine. Playing alongside guards like Duvall and Allen can open things up for him and with the way that team spaces the floor and pushes the pace, he'll have a lot of opportunities to put up points. Plus Duke isn't an incredibly deep team this upcoming season even on the perimeter, so he could very well play 25-33 minutes a night.

Good points. Probably wishful thinking on my part :) I guess I've just never been crazy about Trent's game. Don't see a particularly high ceiling and see him more as a high floor scorer. His career will be interesting to follow though.

He'll get 30 minutes a game at least next year and is a nearly a lock to be a starter. He'll have plenty of opportunity.

He also said he doesn't want to commit to a place with another point guard and Duke is the favorite for Garland.

They'd both have a chance to start alongside each other with Trent, Duval and Allen gone so it shouldn't matter.

per KARE 11:

As one of the top high school recruits in the nation, Apple Valley’s Tre Jones has a tough decision coming up, and the Gophers are definitely in the mix.

“A ton of people here are telling me to stay home,” Tre said. “The Gophers got a lot better last year. I feel like they’re going in the right direction.”

Coaching Tre is none other than his older brother Tyus, a current Minnesota Timberwolf, who’s been in Tre’s shoes.

“To this point in his life, it’s the biggest decision he’s ever made,” Tyus said. “He needs to take his time and weigh out all his options.”

Options that include joining the guys he’s playing with and against in the Pro Am.

“It definitely gives an advantage to the Gophers,” Tre said. “I’m able to spend some time with them and play with them or against them and see what their game is like.”

http://www.kare11.com/sports/local-hoops-stars-shine-at-revamped-twin-cities-pro-am/452511232

Go Gophers!!

If Tre were to come to the U of M and help lead the program to an elite level...after college, after the NBA wherever he walked in this town, he would be 10 ft tall.

If Tre were to come to the U of M and help lead the program to an elite level...after college, after the NBA wherever he walked in this town, he would be 10 ft tall.

Man can u imagine this?!! If he takes this gopher step would truly be a game changer for gophers. I already think this team has turned a big corner but this sure would help in a big way. Some positive vibes from Tre

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

See Tre, Duke doesn't even care enough to show up to your games!!! Better stay home where you can hang out with your bro and the rest of the Wolves and bring a Championship to your home state. :cool:

per SportingNews:

As is customary, there are 10 players in the top 10 of the recruiting rankings compiled by Scout.com. What is different now than it might have been a decade ago is that every single one of them has yet to declare publicly where he plans to play college basketball.

The privileged now wait to decide. They do not accept the first scholarship offered to them, and they do not automatically leap toward the ceiling if the call comes from Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski or Kansas’ Bill Self. Last spring, McDonald’s All-American forward Kevin Knox didn’t make up his mind to attend Kentucky until May 6. The year before, center Marques Bolden chose Duke on May 19.

One reason for this trend is going to really bother those who oppose the notion of the NBA “superteam.”

“Some of us are trying to make a package deal, so we’re still waiting on that,” point guard Darius Garland (No. 8) of Nashville said during a break at the annual Nike EYBL Peach Jam tournament. “That’s pretty important. I just like to win. That’s my main focus: to win, and to get to the next level.

“We’re all just trying to win, so we’re trying to be with the best players that want to win with you and that we have a good connection together.”

Garland has spoken with wing Cameron Reddish (No. 4) of Westtown, Pa., and fellow point guard Tre Jones (No. 7) of Apple Valley, Minn., about playing together in Division I. They’ve pondered taking their official visits to various campuses concurrently. Garland also played on a team several years ago with No. 1 prospect Marvin Bagley of Chatsworth, Calif., and is trying to sell him on choosing the same school. Garland and wing Romeo Langford (No. 5) of New Albany, Ind., played together in early June at the adidas Eurocamp in Treviso, Italy., and that's another guy he'd like to join in college.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...-langford-peach-jam/ihfqpcg8ia601n3lj78x7tcxz

Go Gophers!!

per Rivals:

IN HIS OWN WORDS

Jones has a strong relationship with Duke and is the most familiar with their program because of his brother, but there are a handful of other schools still involved. USC, UCLA, Minnesota and Ohio State are all staying in contact with the top-10 player in 2018.

DUKE: "Obviously when Tyus was there, I got a little more insight to Duke, probably more then anyone else they’re recruiting right now. I have a strong relationship with all the coaches there, Jon Scheyer, Jeff Capel, Coach K, I hear from all of them."

USC: "I heard Taeshon Cherry wanted me there and we've talked here and also at the USA Camp. I'm definitely going to get on campus and check things out when I'm out in LA working out with my brother sometime in August."

UCLA: "That's another school out west that's been talking to me a lot. The same with USC, I'm going to make sure I get there for a visit when I'm out in Los Angeles."

OHIO STATE: "That offer is sort of new and sort of not. The Butler coaching staff is now there and they were recruiting me to Butler so I have a good relationship with all the coaches."

MINNESOTA: "That's the home town school and I’ve been there a lot and checked out some games. Like the other schools on my list I have a strong relationship with the coaching staff, and they're always at my games watching me."

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...more-pursuing-five-star-point-guard-tre-jones

Go Gophers!!

Don't have Insider access anymore but wondering if anything new or just reiterating what everyone already knows.

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncbrecruiting/on-the-trail/insider/post?id=17448

NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C -- If you wanted to find Mike Krzyzewski at the Nike Peach Jam last week, one place to start was on whichever court Tre Jones’ Howard Pulley team was playing.

Jones, a five-star prospect in the 2018 class, is at the top of the target board for Duke. The Blue Devils are losing Grayson Allen and elite incoming guard Trevon Duval from their backcourt after next season, so they need a point guard replacement.

And so Krzyzewski watching Jones makes plenty of sense, not only because he’s one of the best point guards in the country -- but also because he’s the younger brother of Tyus Jones. Tyus Jones, of course, was the point guard on Krzyzewski’s national championship team in 2015 and is now a member of the Minnesota Timberwolves.

From afar, it would seem like a fairly obvious connection. Blueblood program at which your brother won a national championship has a starting role available, and is recruiting you heavily.

Maybe not, though.

When you see Krzyzewski at Tre Jones’ games, you’re also more than likely seeing head coaches or assistant coaches from USC and UCLA and Minnesota and Ohio State.

“I don’t have a leader right now,” Jones said over the weekend.

“Family doesn’t put any pressure on me to go [to Duke]. We were all there with Tyus when he was going through the process and none of us pressured him to go anywhere, so they’re doing the same for me. Whatever the best fit is for me, they’ll support it and be with me the whole way.”

Other schools aren’t automatically exiting the recruitment. Multiple coaches pursuing Jones told ESPN this week that they weren’t under the impression he was a done deal to Durham, North Carolina. One said Jones was probably leaning toward Duke, but not a lock. Jones remains in steady communication with the other schools involved in his recruitment, and he plans to take official visits in the fall.

“The ones recruiting me now aren’t worried about that,” Jones said. “They see the interest I have in them when they started recruiting me, so I feel they don’t have to worry about that.”

Jones, a Minnesota native, will spend much of August working out with his brother in California, and expects to check out USC and UCLA while out west. He’s already been to Minnesota and Duke multiple times, and he has a very good relationship with Ohio State’s Chris Holtmann.

Jones admits he has a better idea of what to expect at Duke from his brother, as well as spending time on the Blue Devils’ campus when Tyus was in school.

“I mean, I went there, so he knows a little bit more behind the scenes,” Tyus Jones said. “He’s been in the locker room with me and the team after games. I’ve had conversations when I was at school with him, stuff that me and Coach K talked about, being the point guard of his team. He’s in a similar situation to how I was, being the point guard for Coach.”

Tyus actually sat with the Duke staff during one of Tre’s games in April, but he spent most of his time at the Peach Jam in the bleachers with the rest of their family.

While Tyus isn’t constantly in Tre’s ear about his recruitment, he’s not as shy when helping Tre improve his game on the court. He was at Jones’ games all week at the Peach Jam, giving him feedback.

“I was there with him through all his stuff, and it’s just cool to see that, with his busy schedule, he’s able to be here for me,” Tre said. “He tries to do everything he can to be the best I can be.”

The two brothers are very different. Tre is stronger and more aggressive off the dribble than Tyus was at the same age, while Tyus had better vision and was a better perimeter shooter.

“He has a great basketball IQ,” Tyus said. “I would also say he is a great scorer -- he just does it in a different way. He’s more athletic than I am. Taller, longer. He can get to the rim and his mid-range is pretty deadly. We’re different because I have a better outside shot. Defensively, he’s a tremendous defender. He’s one of the toughest defenders I’ve played against, even to this day, playing one-on-one so many times.”

One potential complicating factor in Tre Jones’ path to Duke is five-star Darius Garland, the No. 1-ranked point guard in the ESPN 100 and a priority for Krzyzewski and the Blue Devils. But Krzyzewski has told Jones and Garland that he wants both players for the 2018-19 season, and sees them playing together in the backcourt.

Jones and Garland went head-to-head at the Peach Jam, with Garland’s Bradley Beal Elite team getting the win, but Jones besting him individually. Jones had 30 points, four assists and four steals while Garland finished with nine points and four assists after missing much of the first half due to foul trouble.

Jones is the more physical of the two players, looking to beat his man off the dribble with change-of-speed or change-of-direction moves and then finishing in traffic at the rim or pulling up in the lane. Garland is able to play off the ball more with his ability to run off screens and make shots from the perimeter.

“Ever since they started recruiting me, they talked about us two playing together. We’ve been talking more and more. It would be fun to play with him,” Jones said. “I feel like we would fit really well. We both know how to play the game. He can shoot it extremely well, he can handle it, he has everything in his game. We’ve both talked about it -- we would both be fine with playing off-ball at times throughout the game because we would be able to feed off each other.”

Jones still has a few months to go until he makes his commitment. He’ll take some visits in August and in the fall, and he'll likely decide following his trips. His performance at Peach Jam will boost his stock in the eyes of his finalists, averaging 21.6 points, 5.6 rebounds and 4.8 assists -- and it will do nothing to dissuade the non-Duke schools on his list from continuing their pursuit.

While Duke may lead right now, the other schools won’t back off just yet.

“Obviously me going to Duke, having success, everyone assumes we and myself would all put pressure to go to Duke, but that’s not the case at all,” Tyus said. “It may be something he wants to do, go his own route and go his own direction, write his own story, go his own path. It’s all up to him. My family will love him and support him no matter. If he decided to Duke, I’d be ecstatic. If it’s not the right fit [and he goes somewhere else], we’ll be just as ecstatic. I’ll be the first one with one of the school’s T-shirts."

“I just gotta see what’s best,” Tre said.

the possibility of successfully navigating a Jones' recruitment is. . . .

Had a conversation earlier today on twitter with someone who thinks there is no way Jones would sign with the Gophers unless Washington is a one and done.

Had a conversation earlier today on twitter with someone who thinks there is no way Jones would sign with the Gophers unless Washington is a one and done.

Know that we are thrilled about having Washington, but he isn't that caliber is he? His videos look awfully good, but I don't see a one and done guy-don't think. I see a much-above average incoming freshman but not more than that?

Yea, and I had a dream that I was a better bowler than Trevor Mbakwe. I am not saying, I am just saying.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If he turned off by having to compete with Isaiah, it seems he wouldn't want to go to Duke if Garland commits there, but I though I heard something about those two talking about playing at Duke together.

Hard to blame him if he goes elsewhere. The Gophers have made epic strides from the recruitment of Tyus to Tre, but obviously we're not at Duke's level. It would be a great story (likely an SI cover story) if a long downtrodden team was revived by a bunch of MN kids deciding to stay home. Meanwhile, the brother of the biggest fish of the four is part of a re-birth of the NBA franchise a few miles across town. All that as the MN youth/HS scene is exploding in participation and relevance. The story writes itself. From all accounts, Tre is a high quality young man and I wish him the best wherever he ends up.

As far the getting drafted in the NBA, does the college program matter that much anymore? Fultz went number one after playing for the dreadful Washington Huskies. Simmons, last year for a poor LSU team. Now, if a player wants to be a player on a team with national championship aspirations, that is something else.

Know that we are thrilled about having Washington, but he isn't that caliber is he? His videos look awfully good, but I don't see a one and done guy-don't think. I see a much-above average incoming freshman but not more than that?

Yeah I think there's virtually no chance he is a one and done. He probably won't even start.

Yeah I think there's virtually no chance he is a one and done. He probably won't even start.

Mason, Coffey, Murphy, and Lynch are sure starters. If coach K is apparently willing to put Tre Jones and Darius Garland in the backcourt together, would Pitino be willing to put Jelly and Mason in the backcourt or will we see Dupree starting?

If he turned off by having to compete with Isaiah, it seems he wouldn't want to go to Duke if Garland commits there, but I though I heard something about those two talking about playing at Duke together.

I think it's the opposite. If Tre was willing to come here he would want the starting job and given all the minutes right away.

Duke is infinitely more prestigious and better than the Gophers and that is why he would be more willing to sit at Duke vs. sitting for the Gophers.

Top Bottom