Gophers only Big Ten team in top 20

BleedGopher

Reaction score
If the Big Ten hockey conference was in tact right now, we'd be the only conference foe ranked in the top 20. That would probably make our conference pretty weak and our Pairwise would take a major hit:

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/

Go Gophers!!

I thought the beauty of the pairwise was that it insulated teams from that kind of issue. If we don't play a lot of tough teams head to head, then our pair against that team is determined by record against common opponents. Therefore (if I understand it right, not a given), so long as we do as well against weak opponents as other good teams do against those same opponents, I think we will be just fine.

I thought the beauty of the pairwise was that it insulated teams from that kind of issue. If we don't play a lot of tough teams head to head, then our pair against that team is determined by record against common opponents. Therefore (if I understand it right, not a given), so long as we do as well against weak opponents as other good teams do against those same opponents, I think we will be just fine.

Correct. Even with a crappy conference, a team with a top-notch record will have no problem getting into the tourney... provided they have a respectable non-conference record.

Plus, it's not like Michigan is accustomed to being outside the top 20. Actually it's a very rare thing these past 25 years. And don't expect wisky and MSU to stay this bad for too much longer either.

the only teams who truly suck are sanduscky state and tatoo U, plus when the league and you're automatically in

If you saw the game tonight against Omaha, you'd be hard pressed to put the Gophers in the top 20 also. Absolutely brutal on all fronts tonight and team captain Zach Budish made one of the dumbest plays I've seen in college hockey in a few years to literally give the game to the Mavericks. It was bad enough that I wasn't impressed with anything Omaha did tonight and it was still light years ahead the of what the Gophers showed the fans at Mariucci.

I am so sick of this team just deciding that some nights it will show up and some nights they won't. If a team with this much talent would consistently give maximum effort, play for the team rather than the individual, and play focused and smart hockey, we would be almost unbeatable by all but the very best college teams. Instead we get these kind of horse crap performances (which over the years seem to frequently happen on Fridays).

Top Bottom