Official 2013 Class Recruiting Updates Thread

Yup saw his tweet. He is supposed to get in about an hour. Sounds like an interesting kid. He's scared of flying but he's making the trip anyway.

Actually his flight leaves from ATL at noon, it'll be a little longer before he actually gets here. It's his first time flying ever and he sounds kind of terrified, there has to be some real interest for him to put himself through that.

Actually his flight leaves from ATL at noon, it'll be a little longer before he actually gets here. It's his first time flying ever and he sounds kind of terrified, there has to be some real interest for him to put himself through that.

Yeah, that doesn't sound like a guy who's not interested, that's for sure.

Per twitter, Marquez decided to give us a shot since MN was the first school to offer.

From what I can gather through a twitter conversation White is having, Trey Jenkins, a UAB Commit, will be visiting in January

http://rivals.yahoo.com/uab/football/recruiting/player-Trey-Jenkins-142780

Jenkins is in the same town (though not the same HS) as Jonathan Walton (visiting this weekend) and is presumably friends with him. I think it's an interesting strategy - Alabama and Auburn recruit a lot more nationally than they used to even 5 years ago, so it stands to reason that there are a lot of players in that area who might've gotten those kinds of offers a few years ago, and are now falling through the cracks and being recruited by schools like UAB, Troy, South Alabama (new to I-A), etc. It remains to be seen whether they are Big Ten caliber players, but I guess the only choice we have is to trust Kill and Co.'s player evaluation abilities.

Ah you were right. I read his tweet wrong.

Can dpodoll68 head to the airport to find out for sure?

Still one of the best g'hole moments ever.

It can't be overstated how important this weekend is for recruting and the future of the program. The chance to have 2 CBs on campus at the same time who have offers from Alabama and Florida St., as well as 2 LBs who both have very nice offer lists doesn't happen routinely.

Two new verbals today? Or another set of twins for Marquise?

GopherGridiron ‏@GopherGridiron
Just want to send a special welcome to the two newest members of the Gopher Football Family! Ski-U-Mah!

Just want to send a special welcome to the two newest members of the Gopher Football Family! Ski-U-Mah!

Who?

Wouldn't that be a violation of some NCAA rules? I imagine they're talking about some babies being born, but who knows.

Wouldn't that be a violation of some NCAA rules? I imagine they're talking about some babies being born, but who knows.

That was the first thing I thought, too. So it could be anything. But I do think you can talk in general about getting commitments, how many have committed, etc., without naming names or hinting at who they are.

One could be Hank Ekpe

Scoggins just tweeted he committed.

Still seems a little weird that they are tweeting about recruiting.

If you don't name the players I think you're ok. I recall stories about HC's putting out excited but cryptic tweets when the got verbals. Not sure if using the word commitment matters or not.

What the heck does soft verbal even mean anymore. pfftt..

Don't know but doesn't sound as solid as a hard verbal :D

Seriously though, everyone is a soft verbal until they sign in February.

Per Nate Andrews on twitter @NateAndrews1: I am officially in love with The University of Minnesota.. Enough said!!

Per Nate Andrews on twitter @NateAndrews1: I am officially in love with The University of Minnesota.. Enough said!!
He should just make it official before he leaves town.

Reading through some of the visitors tweets this morning is quite comical.

@_Success_1 (Marquez White): got numbers in my phone from last night...have no clue who they are
Had another tweet: last night was epic

@NateAndrews1: @coachvmcc gets better and better up here coach
had another tweet as well: @gabephillips_5 yeah bro it go so hard up here

@Jwalton25 (Jonathan Walton): dead tired

Sounds like our players gave these guys a good time last night, and hopefully they can sit back in the next few weeks and look at the fun they had and give us a verbal. Nate Andrews has said we are #1 on his list, and he seems to me to be a for sure. But getting Marquez and Walton would be huge pickups as well as possibly De'Niro Laster who has a protected twitter account.

The biggest thing for the U is just getting them on campus. Ridding recruits of pre-conceived notions about Minnesota as state or the B1G conference not being as big time as other conferences from a kid who grew up in out west or down south is HUGE. I played college ball with a lot of guys from Houston, Florida, and Cali; they all thought it was tundra up here before their visits.

Do you think Kill offers another RB in this class? I think the Huff kid from Louisiana is still visiting.

would still like us to go after kahreem hunt, has had an exceptional year and would like to see two backs come in of that quality

would still like us to go after kahreem hunt, has had an exceptional year and would like to see two backs come in of that quality

+1...Hunt put up absolutely ridiculous numbers this year.

Against competition equivalent to the size of 4A schools, these are the numbers that Hunt recorded:
Carries: 166
Yards: 1930
YPC: 11.6
Rushing TDs: 31
Rushings yards per game: 275.7

DAMN.

I noticed our DE commit from Wisconsin is now rated in the top 45 DE's. 44, but still rated.

@Chris_SmithSPS: 2013 RB Marquis Morton - Shelbyville HS (TN) tells me he is receiving strong interest from #Minnesota. #Gophers #SPS

Go Gophers!!

I noticed our DE commit from Wisconsin is now rated in the top 45 DE's. 44, but still rated.

I think a 7-sack game, even if it were played against a team of nuns, piques the attention of the national scouting media.

Top Bottom