Barker Transfering?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think this thread has ran its course.

I agree. I had looked at this thread a lot early on but by mid week the whole thing was getting stale. Just looking now... I can see it is pretty clear there isn't a need to open it again.

Hitler bad.
Racism bad.

As a guy with a history degree, I can guarantee you there are better sources of information on both topics.

great music, big bands, frank sinatra, louis armstrong, dizzy gillespie, the minneapolis/st. paul street-car system was amazing and at its peak. people still mainly lived, worked, went to church, played sports for and went to school in their neighborhoods. you knew most of your neighbors. you could let the kids go outside and play without much supervision from sun up until sun down. rita hayworth. some of the best films to ever come out of hollywood came out during the 1940's.

and in the 1940's (1940 & 1941) our golden gopher footballers won 2 of their 6 national
championships! ;)

don't get me wrong, there was certainly some terrible stuff that happened during the 1940's. but
again, i just found your description of the entire decade to be a bit too narrow for my personal
taste. to each his own. you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

You do realize that EVERYTHING you mentioned had a racial component to it?

The music was great but the black musicians couldn't stay in the hotels they performed in, nor could they always live were their income afforded them. Frank Sinatra? The places were old blues eyes played that allowed black folks in; regulated them to the coloreds section in the back.

Movies? We weren't in them unless we played maids, butlers or some other servant.

Golden Gophers....see above, we weren't on the team. The Big Ten should have been know as the white ten.

Neighborhoods? We were steered to certain hoods and not allowed to live in others. However; we did live, attend church and play sports in our neighborhood......until they made us move when they built 35w and 94 through our neighborhoods to make the commute easier for those folks in the burbs...you know the places were we couldn't live.

Saying all of that; I would never suggest that your memories and thoughts about the 40's are wrong. I would just suggest that it is your description of the 40's that is narrow.

You do realize that EVERYTHING you mentioned had a racial component to it?

The music was great but the black musicians couldn't stay in the hotels they performed in, nor could they always live were their income afforded them. Frank Sinatra? The places were old blues eyes played that allowed black folks in; regulated them to the coloreds section in the back.

Movies? We weren't in them unless we played maids, butlers or some other servant.

Golden Gophers....see above, we weren't on the team. The Big Ten should have been know as the white ten.

Neighborhoods? We were steered to certain hoods and not allowed to live in others. However; we did live, attend church and play sports in our neighborhood......until they made us move when they built 35w and 94 through our neighborhoods to make the commute easier for those folks in the burbs...you know the places were we couldn't live.

Saying all of that; I would never suggest that your memories and thoughts about the 40's are wrong. I would just suggest that it is your description of the 40's that is narrow.

not to mention that minneapolis was one of the greatest bastions of anti-semitism in the 1940's. Sportsfan, don't you find it amusing how the people who've never been the object of institutional and wholesale hatred are the ones who always minimize the suffering of the oppressed? and these are the same folks who profess how important it is to be a team player and how there's no "I" in team. let's face it, if these folks really believed that then they would also be saying "as long as anyone in my society (i.e. team) is being oppressed, then we all suffer". instead, these hypocrites think that "hey, as long as i wasn't suffering in the 40's, and we had frank sinatra and two gopher championships, it was a great era". At least half the contributors on gopher hole, and especially the most vocal participants, are some of the most educated, intelligent, bigoted, racist, cold, crass, self-centered, snide, egotistical, shallow, uncompassionate, merciless, phony and repugnant people i've ever come across in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom