Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Visitor Info

Default Visitor Info

Hi all,
    Me and 4 other guys are coming from Arizona this weekend to watch the football game on Saturday and the hockey game on Sunday. We do a trip like this every year.
    I am looking for advice on what to do and where to go.
    We get in Friday afternoon and leave Monday.
    We like to drink beer and get the entire college town/gameday experience.
    Where should we go Friday night?
    What should we do/ where should we go before the game
    where should we eat

We are staying downtown at the Marquette hotel.
    We will definitely be bringing warm clothes

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. The past few years we have been to Florida, Tennessee, LSU, Oregon, Wisconsin, Texas AM, and Notre Dame so the bar has been set pretty high for gameday experiences.

Thank you and look forward to this weekend

Go Gophers

Great to see you picked the University of Minnesota! You guys are going to have a blast. You will find some fun near your hotel if you want to check that out. It's not my scene, but there is a club scene on/near First Ave running from 6th street to around Washington Ave (think Scottsdale).
    There are some fun bars close the TCF stadium and Williams arena. Sally's will be packed before during and after the games, and they should have a beer tent outside. There are other places within walking distance too (look for dinkytown). If you are looking for some other bars you guys could take a cab up to Northeast Minneapolis and check out Grumpy's, Gastoff (big German drinking bar), and many more within walking distance.

Quote Originally Posted by coachlennyd View Post
    Hi all, Me and 4 other guys...
    Age range for your crew? Might help in giving you better info. There are many, many neighborhoods of options, and some might be better suited to different age groups.
    by station19 - Quit talking stupid.

Blarneys(I like Blarneys, age range is pretty young though) in dinkytown or Sally's(older crowds) in Stadium village or Big 10 for on campus bars Friday night. Stub and Herbs isn't to bad either. Why wouldn't you come in Thursday afternoon for the Vikings game Thursday night, that would be one heck of a weekend?

We are in our mid-30's and I had a meeting I could not get out of Thursday so we are missing the Viks unfortunately.

Hi all,
    Me and 4 other guys are coming from Arizona this weekend to watch the football game on Saturday and the hockey game on Sunday. We do a trip like this every year.
    I am looking for advice on what to do and where to go.
    We get in Friday afternoon and leave Monday.
    We like to drink beer and get the entire college town/gameday experience.
    Where should we go Friday night?
    What should we do/ where should we go before the game
    where should we eat

We are staying downtown at the Marquette hotel.
    We will definitely be bringing warm clothes

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. The past few years we have been to Florida, Tennessee, LSU, Oregon, Wisconsin, Texas AM, and Notre Dame so the bar has been set pretty high for gameday experiences.

Thank you and look forward to this weekend

Go Gophers

We are in our mid-30's and I had a meeting I could not get out of Thursday so we are missing the Viks unfortunately.
    If I were you, I would not hang around "The U" bars on Friday, you'll have plenty of time on Saturday for that. If you're up for a pretty good circuit on Friday I'd do a loop in the northeast (Nordeast when you're here) that includes:
    Grumpy's Link
    Gasthof Link
    Psycho Suzie's Link
    (optional) The Sample Room Link I think they still have a pretty good happy hour, but maybe not the scene you're looking for.
    Not Optional: Nye's Link This is not optional, because this is a must. Just go to the bar side, rather than the restaurant side and order a Polish. You will get a Polish beer (like from Poland). Just order it that way because no one remembers the names of the damn beers.

Then head back near your hotel, and you can get into some trouble near your hotel, just a few blocks northwest of your location. Many, many options there. That should be a pretty full Friday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered User View Post
    If I were you, I would not hang around "The U" bars on Friday, you'll have plenty of time on Saturday for that. If you're up for a pretty good circuit on Friday I'd do a loop in the northeast (Nordeast when you're here) that includes:
    Grumpy's Link
    Gasthof Link
    Psycho Suzie's Link
    (optional) The Sample Room Link I think they still have a pretty good happy hour, but maybe not the scene you're looking for.
    Not Optional: Nye's Link This is not optional, because this is a must. Just go to the bar side, rather than the restaurant side and order a Polish. You will get a Polish beer (like from Poland). Just order it that way because no one remembers the names of the damn beers.

Then head back near your hotel, and you can get into some trouble near your hotel, just a few blocks northwest of your location. Many, many options there. That should be a pretty full Friday night.
    Yes, what he said.

Also for Saturday. There are parking lots near the stadium. Bring some beers in a backpack or grocery bag, and enjoy the pregame tailgating. People should start showing up around noon. Folks will post tailgate too (win or lose) hopefully win!

It will be cold on Saturday, sit on the sunny side of the stadium if you can - it makes a huge difference.

Are any of you guys PAC-12 grads?

Grumpy's Link
    Gasthof Link
    Psycho Suzie's Link

What, no Tony Jaros' River Garden?

https://foursquare.com/v/tony-jaros-...64a520cf171fe3

Quote Originally Posted by station19 View Post
    Good call, but it's only good for one reason, and one reason only. Greenies. JUST SAY NO to the Pinkies. That place can also bury a guy for the night.

Blah, blah, blah
    I should have added to that list my rationale. The Friday circuit I listed the Nordeast stops simply because each one would offer a unique experience, if you and your crew is in the mood to get a different perspective on the Twin Cities.

Now, if your crew is just looking for a slump-buster or a good bar-pull, you'll have more luck getting some "strange" back to your hotel by hitting the regular bar district, which will be pretty much like any bar district in a larger city. Still some good spots that we can point you to, but I'm sure you'll do just fine hitting a few spots and seeing what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by station19 View Post

19, why would you NOT suggest Station 19?????
    I'll say it again...So many experts, so little expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Don View Post
    19, why would you NOT suggest Station 19?????
    It ain't the same as the old days.

BW3.....no....sorry

I have scruples ya know.