Minnetonka's Mike Redmond Has Preferred Walk-On Offer From Iowa, What About Gophers?

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Minnetonka's Mike Redmond Has Preferred Walk-On Offer From Iowa, But What About Gophers?
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/183325?referrer_id=331171

Mike Redmond, a 6-foot-5, 235-pound senior linebacker from Minnetonka (MN) High, has been a key to the Skippers’ strong defensive play this season. Redmond has received three scholarship offers and is getting looks from Big Ten schools Minnesota and Iowa. GopherHole.com watched Redmond’s game Friday and caught up with him after the game to learn the latest on his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: What is the latest on your recruitment? I think that you have three offers from Northern Iowa, Illinois State and North Dakota State.

Mike Redmond: The University of North Dakota. Illinois State called me last night (Thursday) and they offered me. They sent it in the mail, but I hadn’t gotten it yet, so I was a little surprised on that. The University of South Dakota called me last night and they told me that if I went down for a visit, that is when we would talk offer.

Gopher Hole: What other schools are you hearing from?

Mike Redmond: I am hearing from the “U,” North Dakota. Mostly schools around here. Getting after it.

Gopher Hole: What camps did you get a chance to attend this summer?

Mike Redmond: I went to NDSU, University of Minnesota and Iowa.

Gopher Hole: Iowa offered you a preferred walk-on. What are you hearing from the Gophers?

Mike Redmond: It is how the season goes. You have to work with it, work hard and see what happens.

Gopher Hole: Unfortunately, Minnesota does not have many seniors, so they have few scholarships available for the class of 2013. Have they talked to you about a walk-on?

Mike Redmond: It hasn’t been brought up yet, but I am talking about offer/walk-on will come in the future.

Gopher Hole: I know that you have some plans to attend some games in the future. Where do you plan on going in the next couple of weeks?

Mike Redmond: I know that I am going to NDSU soon. I believe Northern Iowa. I am going to the “U” for their game on November 3rd (Michigan game) and that is all I have planned right now.

Gopher Hole: You are in perhaps the toughest conference in the state, the Lake Conference. You did a good job of slowing down Wayzata, one of the top teams in the state. You also play Eden Prairie, Edina and Hopkins. How much do you think that helps you as a defensive player to play against some of the top teams in the state?

Mike Redmond: I think that there is nothing better. I think that it is the best test that I can get up here. Playing in another conference, just wouldn’t be the same. The caliber up here is the best that you can get. I wouldn’t play anywhere else but here.

Gopher Hole: What things have you been really working on to improve yourself as a player?

Mike Redmond: Working mostly on reading my keys and getting to the ball as fast as I can and making big plays happen.

Gopher Hole: In the past, you played mostly linebacker, but this season, you are also playing defensive line. Has that been a bit of an adjustment or do you like trying new things?

Mike Redmond: It is definitely an adjustment. It is really good to know both positions. I have played safety, outside linebacker and inside linebacker last year. I know four positions, which couldn’t do anything but help you out.

Gopher Hole: What positions are most schools looking at you playing in college?

Mike Redmond: Mostly D-end, but some schools are talking outside or hybrid D-end and inside, too.

Gopher Hole: Is that something you like in terms of being able to rush the passer and getting into the quarterback’s face?

Mike Redmond: Yes. If I could have it my way, I would like to rush the passer and be off the edge.

Gopher Hole: Have you about a possible college major?

Mike Redmond: Business. We have a family business, so I want to get into that.

Gopher Hole: You come from a big family. You also have four other brothers, right?

Mike Redmond: Yes. There are quite a few of us. Three of them are older and one is younger. I have an older sister and a younger sister.

Gopher Hole: Did all three of your older brothers play football?

Mike Redmond: Yes. Every single guy in our family has played football. It is just a family tradition.

Gopher Hole: So you didn’t have much of a choice?

Mike Redmond: (Laughing) Not really. I’m glad that I played, though.

Gopher Hole: Do you play any other sports at Minnetonka?

Mike Redmond: I play hockey, but I’m not sure if I am going to be playing this year, but those are my two sports.

Gopher Hole: Your mom had mentioned that your preference would be to play hopefully close to home. Is that something you would like as well to play in front of your family and friends?

Mike Redmond: For sure. I’m a homebody. That is just how I have always been. Closest to home is optimal, but obviously, I am going to go the school that is best for me, regardless of how far it is, but I would like to stay around home.

Gopher Hole: Did you grow up as a Gopher fan? Did you go to game when you were younger?

Mike Redmond: Yes. It has been more of a recent thing. I am die-hard Viking fan until I die. Just one of the Minnesota kind of guys, but I have been starting to pick up more interest in watching the Gophers in the past five years.

He looks worthy of a PWO to me.

Top Bottom