#1 Reason for Concern in 2013 and 2014

Indi1006

Banned
Reaction score
We don't have a Big Ten caliber RB either on the team or as a commit or as a ikely commit for '13. Our OL will be better, we've probably never had more reason for optimism in the past two decades for a Defense that may be able to get it done, our WR corps looks strong and we'll be in year 3 of our program next year so the kids will "get it" relative to what Kill and his coaches are teaching. All that said, we don't have anyone who can carry the rock at an elite level. Kirkwood would be a nice short yardage back or a #3 or #4 RB on a contending Big Ten conference team. He has no breakaway potential. I really struggle to see us taking that next really big step unless we somehow either develop one of the RBs on the team now into a much better runner than any of them are showing now or we score a coup and recruit a kid (preferrably two or three) who can turn it up a notch going forward. As an aside, we absolutely can't have Shortell be our QB next year if we march out this same stable of RBs. We'll need Nelson to be ready to play and to be a major threat in the running game or our running game will get no respect and our offense will sputter like we did on Saturday more often than not.

Behind a good O-Line I think Kirkwood can be a very solid Big Ten running back. Don't think he will ever be elite but I don't agree he is a #3 or #4 guy on most teams. I also think it is early to be calling the WR corps strong, they didn't do much against Iowa and although Barker looked great early it wasn't exactly against top notch defenses.

LB.

My only area of concern for next year.

When there are upper classmen opening up holes for the RB's, they will look slightly more impressive than they do this year. This offense will put up 30+ points per game next year and going forward. Not worried about the offense in the LEAST.

Not enough seats at TCF? Funny how MonTaaaaY Ball almost won the Heisman last year and this year he looks like a walkon. The OL is the difference. Maye, Kirkwood and Williams will do just fine next year.

I'm not ready to say that Rodrick Williams isn't a Big 10 back just yet. Other than Pirsig and Nelson, he was the one guy that I didn't want to play this year. Need to remember that KJ Maye is a converted QB. He's made some mistakes, but the potential is definitely there.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONT CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARE

Ogee Oglethorpe said:
LB.

When there are upper classmen opening up holes for the RB's, they will look slightly more impressive than they do this year. This offense will put up 30+ points per game next year and going forward. Not worried about the offense in the LEAST.

This, exactly. LB concerns me and do you think Weisman is doing what he's doing at Iowa because he's an elite back?

Jeffrey Jones?

Such a negative post. It always has to be concerns.

LB.

Yep, LB is my biggest concern as well and it's not even close. It's a big concern this year and we have a bunch of upperclassmen playing there right now.

I am focused more on just improving as a whole...which you can see we have improved this season as compared to last. With many of our key players being underclassmen, I am sure we will improve again next year...RB, or no RB...and our top two RB's by the way, are underclassmen as well.

We don't have a Big Ten caliber RB either on the team or as a commit or as a ikely commit for '13. Our OL will be better, we've probably never had more reason for optimism in the past two decades for a Defense that may be able to get it done, our WR corps looks strong and we'll be in year 3 of our program next year so the kids will "get it" relative to what Kill and his coaches are teaching. All that said, we don't have anyone who can carry the rock at an elite level. Kirkwood would be a nice short yardage back or a #3 or #4 RB on a contending Big Ten conference team. He has no breakaway potential. I really struggle to see us taking that next really big step unless we somehow either develop one of the RBs on the team now into a much better runner than any of them are showing now or we score a coup and recruit a kid (preferrably two or three) who can turn it up a notch going forward. As an aside, we absolutely can't have Shortell be our QB next year if we march out this same stable of RBs. We'll need Nelson to be ready to play and to be a major threat in the running game or our running game will get no respect and our offense will sputter like we did on Saturday more often than not.

My concern, also.

how about the most important position . . . QB!!!!

I don't think Shortell will fully flourish in the Kill & Co system unless our O line can be dominant. Nelson will be a sophomore or RS freshmen.

#1 - QB; #2 - LBs

We will definitely show improvement next year, but i think it all ways on how well the O line plays. 2014 will be a HUGE year for GOPHER.NATION.

Top Bottom