My thoughts...

Shaqfu14

Reaction score
I will echo the thoughts of people that enjoyed the trip. I was expecting the worst but found most of the fans enjoyable and will go back again. I was disappointed in how many Gopher fans turned out. It didn't seem like we even had 500 fans there. Was I disappointed in the result absolutely but keep some things in mind. I'm not as down after this game as some people on this board. A majority of the kids on this team have never played in Iowa City which is a pretty intimidating venue(it was 3 years ago the last time we played there). We did not meet very many Iowa fans Friday night at the bar that gave their club a chance. The Iowa fans were ready to turn on this team. If Barker is hit in stride and we go up 7-3 instead of it being picked off most of the energy is gone from that crowd. We seemed very rattled in the first half and I give their crowd credit for that. What is important to note, is they were able to regain their composer and at least make it interesting. Until Iowa ran the pick six back the Iowa fans were still worried. All I'm saying is if the club learns and builds from it it will help them in the long run.

Someone said the allotted tickets available ( 3,000) sold out. Maybe someone else can interject on the crowd count.

I was sitting with an Iowa season ticket holder on the home side under the pressbox so I had a good vantage. The "problem" with Kinnick is that they divide the visiting allocations. There was a group of Gopher fans on the east side of the visiting sideline and another on the west side of the same sideline so they aren't visible to one another. I was told that a few visiting tickets were returned to Iowa the week of the game but that their allotment is 4,000. So I'm guessing we had somewhere in the ballpark of 3-3.5k fans there.

We sat in the SE corner and except for the first 6 rows in section 109 it was pretty sparse for Gopher fans. We actually went to the game with friends that happen to be Hawkeye fans who sat on the Gopher side with us. The only bad thing about the weekend is to settle a bet, I now have a cement pig on my porch wrapped in a Hawkeye scarf. Gopher's better win next year!

We sat in the SE corner and except for the first 6 rows in section 109 it was pretty sparse for Gopher fans. We actually went to the game with friends that happen to be Hawkeye fans who sat on the Gopher side with us. The only bad thing about the weekend is to settle a bet, I now have a cement pig on my porch wrapped in a Hawkeye scarf. Gopher's better win next year!

Are you sure about that? I had a few by that point but we were in 110 and it was all gopher fans from row 8 at least half way up to the entrance. And I thought 109 was the same.

I was sitting with an Iowa season ticket holder on the home side under the pressbox so I had a good vantage. The "problem" with Kinnick is that they divide the visiting allocations. There was a group of Gopher fans on the east side of the visiting sideline and another on the west side of the same sideline so they aren't visible to one another. I was told that a few visiting tickets were returned to Iowa the week of the game but that their allotment is 4,000. So I'm guessing we had somewhere in the ballpark of 3-3.5k fans there.

It's actually the north and south sides of the visiting sideline (TCF is the only E-W oriented stadium in the B10 I think), but I'd agree with you. I was row 75 on the home sideline and could see very well, looked pretty full in the 2 sections they allotted. It was clear which areas were earmarked for visitors because there were hard lines of maroon against black/yellow. There seemed to be some empty seats in the first couple rows, meaning that Iowa fans clearly didn't snatch up the remains.

Beyond that, there were random UMN fans sprinkled throughout other sections as I could see 12 within a 15 row radius of me.

It's actually the north and south sides of the visiting sideline (TCF is the only E-W oriented stadium in the B10 I think), but I'd agree with you. I was row 75 on the home sideline and could see very well, looked pretty full in the 2 sections they allotted. It was clear which areas were earmarked for visitors because there were hard lines of maroon against black/yellow. There seemed to be some empty seats in the first couple rows, meaning that Iowa fans clearly didn't snatch up the remains.

Beyond that, there were random UMN fans sprinkled throughout other sections as I could see 12 within a 15 row radius of me.

You must have been really close to me. We were in row 71 on the 40. I think it was section 127?

Top Bottom