Where has James Gillum the RB been the last two weeks?

gopherdudepart2

Reaction score
Anyone know? MIA, lost, wearing a brown, coach not happy shirt?

You wonder if the league he played in was weak. Earlier, Kill said he was happy with the way he was handling school, but that certainly hasn't transitioned to the football field.

I'm also curious on why he hasn't been playing. It's not like he was playing THAT horribly. And for all the hype he was getting in the preseason, you'd think he'd be given more than 3 games to prove his worth.

Re: Gillum

Fumbler and misses assignments all the time; I'm told.

Juco's are big gambles. Sometimes they work well, sometimes they totally flop.

It sounded as if he was going to be a starter this spring - he must have really disappointed the coaches.

There is some good football in the league he came from. Being one of the top RB in that league, you would have thought he could be okay. This is where my guy LaGarrette Blount came from as well as a bunch of other notable players.

But yes, juco=crapshoot

By the way, are we all finally in a place where making fun of Hayo Carpenter is acceptable? Some co-workers and I were always having fun with that one.

Poke fun if you want on Hayo Carpenter but the kid camehere never caused any off field trouble and joins us as an alum. imgoodwiththat.

Too early to give up on Gillum but he certainly seems to be headed towards the bust label. Jucos are a major gamble, they can provide instant depth and experience but there is a reason most guys are playing Juco ball to begin with and a lot of them just can't cut it at the D1 level.

Probably not a complete list but of the guys we brought in last year:

Johnson - has played very well for the most part
Shabazz - Looking good prior to getting hurt
Fruechte - 9 catches through 5 games, jury still out on him
Baltazaar - Has been playing, haven't relly noticed him much
Gillum - Has not looked good to date
Boddy - Not sure if he has played or not

Feels like I am missing some guys but maybe that is all of them.

Poke fun if you want on Hayo Carpenter but the kid camehere never caused any off field trouble and joins us as an alum. imgoodwiththat.

That sure sounds like a recipe for success. We should go after more kids that come here, get a free education, don't do a thing on the field, never cause any off field trouble, and join us as an alum. Great way to get our program moving in the right direction.

I would rather have a kid that gets suspended a game or two and can play than a kid that takes a scholarship and produces absolutely nothing.

That sure sounds like a recipe for success. We should go after more kids that come here, get a free education, don't do a thing on the field, never cause any off field trouble, and join us as an alum. Great way to get our program moving in the right direction.

I would rather have a kid that gets suspended a game or two and can play than a kid that takes a scholarship and produces absolutely nothing.

And savaging kids that come in here and do their best for the program is a recipe for success? The point isn't that bringing in unproductive, trouble free kids is what we need to do. The point is that there is no reason to repeatedly kick unproductive players in the nuts.

I've learned not to believe the hype when it comes to JuCo's. While there certainly are exceptions (wasn't Cam Newton a JuCo), relatively few have ever panned out in a big way. Who's the most successful JuCo we've ever had in a Gophers jersey?

Ron Johnson Super Fan said:
And savaging kids that come in here and do their best for the program is a recipe for success? The point isn't that bringing in unproductive, trouble free kids is what we need to do. The point is that there is no reason to repeatedly kick unproductive players in the nuts.

Especially because, much like you can't blame Brewster for Maturi thinking he was qualified to be a B1G head coach, its not Hayo's fault that Brew thought he could be a player.

I've learned not to believe the hype when it comes to JuCo's. While there certainly are exceptions (wasn't Cam Newton a JuCo), relatively few have ever panned out in a big way. Who's the most successful JuCo we've ever had in a Gophers jersey?

Bobby Jackson?

Too early to give up on Gillum but he certainly seems to be headed towards the bust label. Jucos are a major gamble, they can provide instant depth and experience but there is a reason most guys are playing Juco ball to begin with and a lot of them just can't cut it at the D1 level.

Probably not a complete list but of the guys we brought in last year:

Johnson - has played very well for the most part
Shabazz - Looking good prior to getting hurt
Fruechte - 9 catches through 5 games, jury still out on him
Baltazaar - Has been playing, haven't relly noticed him much
Gillum - Has not looked good to date
Boddy - Not sure if he has played or not

Feels like I am missing some guys but maybe that is all of them.
Jury still out on Fruechte? He probably has been are best Juco. Boddy has played special teams. I noticed Johnson against Syracuse but he was nowhere to found stuffing the running game against Iowa when we needed him. . It's early and takes a little time for new guys. Gillum can't be written off quiet yet. I'm not surprised Kirkwood has been the main guy. Maye and Gillum are going to get chances to earn carries. Kirkwood is just a solid powerback. We need a little more from our backs than just that.

Go Gophers Rah said:

Simoni Lawrence and T. Brock?

Don't know about ever but in recent years, Rabe looks decent. Simoni Lawrence was solid while he was here. Tramaine Brock looked great over his one season, was a shame he couldn't stay eligible for season #2 as he would have been a huge asset to that defense. But yeah more often then not a JC guy doesn't live up to the hype.

WTF?!? Just what we need, another fan of the Jerry Tarkanian approach to running a program.

Especially because, much like you can't blame Brewster for Maturi thinking he was qualified to be a B1G head coach, its not Hayo's fault that Brew thought he could be a player.

Along with Urban Meyer, Chris Peterson, and others.

Oh my. Time to put on my reffing gear?

Jury still out on Fruechte? He probably has been are best Juco. Boddy has played special teams. I noticed Johnson against Syracuse but he was nowhere to found stuffing the running game against Iowa when we needed him. . It's early and takes a little time for new guys. Gillum can't be written off quiet yet. I'm not surprised Kirkwood has been the main guy. Maye and Gillum are going to get chances to earn carries. Kirkwood is just a solid powerback. We need a little more from our backs than just that.

Yeah I would say the jury is still out on Fruechte. 9 catches 159 yards and 2 TD's through 5 games isn't exactly setting the world on fire from the WR position. I think Shabazz was looking like the top JC guy prior to getting injured. The whole DL was MIA against Iowa but Johnson has been decent so far.

Brian Boddy is a transfer from Ohio State and must sit a year. Right?

Boddy is a kid from Delaware that played only one season of Juco ball - can't remember where, but I think it was in one of the Kansas leagues, maybe the jay hawk. He was just way too undersized out of high school and didn't get any offers (or at least not the offers he wanted). Then he went on to go first team corner in that juco league. And those Kansas leagues are good leagues too.

Anyways, I was thinking he'd be a contributor, he sure looked like a good prospect. But we shall see - the corner spot is gonna be up for grabs next year

Top Bottom