Screan plays

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Something I'd like to see is for us to run more screen plays, especially to our backs. Is this just not part of the offense Kill wants to run or is it because of the inexperience on the OL?

Damnit, no one will take this thread seriously now. :p

Damnit, no one will take this thread seriously now. :p

I'll take it serious. I've thought the same thing. Screen plays will slow down a hard rushing line and make then game plan for one more thing.

I'll take it serious. I've thought the same thing. Screen plays will slow down a hard rushing line and make then game plan for one more thing.

I have always wondered why we don't even really attempt to run screens here and it has been that way for a long time. Even back in the Mason years with guys like Maroney and Barber in the backfield we never ran screen plays or even threw to the backs. Got to think they try them from time to time in practice but must not have confidence in the teams ability to execute.

We certainly get plenty of screens called against us though.

Do we have a QB who can consistently complete a screen pass?! (Sarcasm) :)

I would also like a little variety in the running game - it seems all we do is a straight hand-off intothe line.

If our starting RB was fast enough I think we would. But that makes me wonder why we don't do them with KJ Maye

I hate Tom Screan, but he's definitely put IU hoops back on the map.

It was obviously a typo. He could have meant scream plays - we've had a lot of those - not sure why he'd want more, as I drive everyone from the room when I have to scream at a play.

I'm guessing Kill is working on fundementals more, or doesn't think they can be pulled off successfully.

I know Kill has ran screen play in the past.

MNVCGUY said:
I have always wondered why we don't even really attempt to run screens here and it has been that way for a long time. Even back in the Mason years with guys like Maroney and Barber in the backfield we never ran screen plays or even threw to the backs. Got to think they try them from time to time in practice but must not have confidence in the teams ability to execute.

We certainly get plenty of screens called against us though.

Unfortunately we did try some while Brewster was here and it usually ended with the RB not getting open and Weber whipping it at his feet to avoid an interception or intentional grounding.

If our starting RB was fast enough I think we would. But that makes me wonder why we don't do them with KJ Maye

Maye would seem like the ideal type of back for screen plays because he isn't the kind of guy that is going to beat team by running between the tackles. The lack of them right now is probably mostly on the O-Line and the coaches feeling the players won't be able to sell it or get out and block for it. But that is just a guess on my part.

Top Bottom