ESPN Big Ten power rankings: Week 6 (Gophers #10)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
10. Minnesota (4-1, 0-1, last week: 7): Week 5 brought a reality check of sorts for Minnesota, which never really challenged Iowa and lost the Floyd of Rosedale for the first time since 2009. As coach Jerry Kill said Sunday, the Gophers really need top quarterback MarQueis Gray (ankle) to get healthy, as backup Max Shortell had three interceptions at Iowa. More unsettling was the play of Minnesota's defense, which couldn't stop Weisman. The Gophers can regroup during the bye week before their league home opener against Northwestern.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/60433/big-ten-power-rankings-week-6-5

Go Gophers!!

Seems about right given what happened on Saturday. Don't think there is a lot of separation from top to bottom in the conference overall but I would put the teams in a similar order. I would probably have MSU ahead of PSU though.

10. Minnesota (4-1, 0-1, last week: 7): Week 5 brought a reality check of sorts for Minnesota, which never really challenged Iowa and lost the Floyd of Rosedale for the first time since 2009. As coach Jerry Kill said Sunday, the Gophers really need top quarterback MarQueis Gray (ankle) to get healthy, as backup Max Shortell had three interceptions at Iowa. More unsettling was the play of Minnesota's defense, which couldn't stop Weisman. The Gophers can regroup during the bye week before their league home opener against Northwestern.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/60433/big-ten-power-rankings-week-6-5

Go Gophers!!

I wouldn't really say that's the case throughout the game. 1st half we got trounced but that was due heavily to the offense putting the defense in a horrible spot and being in a hostile environment for the first time. He only ran for 22 yds in the 2nd half as they got it figured out so I wouldn't say they couldn't stop him

Northwestern sitting at #3. Hopefully the Gophers get healed up and the Wildcats get a little beat up at Penn State. I'm anxious to see how the team responds from the Iowa contest.

I wouldn't really say that's the case throughout the game. 1st half we got trounced but that was due heavily to the offense putting the defense in a horrible spot and being in a hostile environment for the first time. He only ran for 22 yds in the 2nd half as they got it figured out so I wouldn't say they couldn't stop him

I agree, the Gophers got burned on big plays in the first half, but not in the second. If the offense had been able to do something, the Gophers could have remained in this game. It was just too big a hole to come out of.

I still think the Gophers can be in a Bowl this year but that Iowa loss was a big one because it was one of the only ones we figured was solid win left on the schedule. Now they will need to scrap out two more and do it as an underdog the rest of the season.

I still think the Gophers can be in a Bowl this year but that Iowa loss was a big one because it was one of the only ones we figured was solid win left on the schedule. Now they will need to scrap out two more and do it as an underdog the rest of the season.

I would consider Illinois or Northwestern more so a "win" than @ Iowa. Not sure anything in the Big Ten is a "solid win".

While you are correct, there is a lot that can happen between now and the end of the season, good or bad. 2 more wins is easily attainable. We just need to get healthy. Depth is a big concern. Is it just me, or have we really had a lot of injuries to our starters the past couple years on both sides of the ball? I'm sure inexperience and youth are big factors in that.

While you are correct, there is a lot that can happen between now and the end of the season, good or bad. 2 more wins is easily attainable. We just need to get healthy. Depth is a big concern. Is it just me, or have we really had a lot of injuries to our starters the past couple years on both sides of the ball? I'm sure inexperience and youth are big factors in that.

Not sure wins are going to be easy to come by but you are correct that there are winnable games on the schedule.

As for injuries I don't think we are any different than pretty much anyone else in terms of the number or severity of injuries. Heck Iowa is on RB #5. Problem we have had and continue to have is quality depth, the starter might be fine but the guy behind him isn't good enough to fill in.

Beckman will last 3 years, maximum, at Illinois. Wouldn't be surprised if it's less than that. What an awful hire by Illinois. Similar to the Brew and Rich-Rod hires. As down as the B1G is right now, not going to survive in this conference without some semblance of defense.

Top Bottom