My thoughts after returning home from Iowa City...

MNfootballfan

Reaction score
1) It was easily the worst I have seen the team play all year. We had no answer to their running game. I was impressed with how we played in the second half, but equally unimpressed with Iowa's playcalling. Why would they pass when we couldn't even slow down the run? Despite us playing every poor, it was 24-7 with us driving before Shortell's last INT. Without turnovers it could have been a close game.
2) How different are the fans in Iowa City? I was expecting the worse, but they were great. We get the annoying drunks at TCF, but the fans in Iowa were great. Some comments that I got: "Coach Kill looks like he is turning things around." Before the game: "We are really nervous about this game." After the game: "You guys really miss your starting QB."
3) I seriously disagree with anyone who thinks it is even a question who plays QB. Would you rather have an inaccurate pocket passer or an inaccurate QB who can run for 100 yards any given Saturday?
4) We are getting better and we will steal a couple of wins in the big ten. Against who? I have no idea, but any given Saturday we could win. I never thought we would have beat Iowa the past two years, but we did...
5) We have a long ways to go before our game day expierience is close to Iowa's. It was pretty cool. I really liked the vendors across the street from the stadium selling burgers, turkey legs, etc. Vendors along Melrose Ave selling Hawkeye clothes, flags, pictures, etc
6) My dad and I left immediately after the game and listened to Post-Game radio shows almost all the way to the Minnesota border. There was a post game show, following the post game show.
7) I'd easily make the trip again.

Did not go this year but I've always enjoyed the game in Iowa City more than the game in Minnesota for the very reasons that you have stated. Plus, we always eat dinner in the Amana's which is often a highlight of the trip.

The low seats and everybody standing up for the game makes it very hard to see the game. I don't want to go the game and watch most of it on the video screen.

MNfootballfan, I was equally impressed with the game day experience in IA City. Great atmosphere and fans. I will no longer feel bad standing at TCF when the people behind me are not. Their fans were young, middle aged, and old, yet everyone was into it.

1) It was easily the worst I have seen the team play all year. We had no answer to their running game. I was impressed with how we played in the second half, but equally unimpressed with Iowa's playcalling. Why would they pass when we couldn't even slow down the run? Despite us playing every poor, it was 24-7 with us driving before Shortell's last INT. Without turnovers it could have been a close game.
2) How different are the fans in Iowa City? I was expecting the worse, but they were great. We get the annoying drunks at TCF, but the fans in Iowa were great. Some comments that I got: "Coach Kill looks like he is turning things around." Before the game: "We are really nervous about this game." After the game: "You guys really miss your starting QB."
3) I seriously disagree with anyone who thinks it is even a question who plays QB. Would you rather have an inaccurate pocket passer or an inaccurate QB who can run for 100 yards any given Saturday?
4) We are getting better and we will steal a couple of wins in the big ten. Against who? I have no idea, but any given Saturday we could win. I never thought we would have beat Iowa the past two years, but we did...
5) We have a long ways to go before our game day expierience is close to Iowa's. It was pretty cool. I really liked the vendors across the street from the stadium selling burgers, turkey legs, etc. Vendors along Melrose Ave selling Hawkeye clothes, flags, pictures, etc
6) My dad and I left immediately after the game and listened to Post-Game radio shows almost all the way to the Minnesota border. There was a post game show, following the post game show.
7) I'd easily make the trip again.

Hey Guys. Just a Hawkeye fan that wanted to come in and say that I'm glad you had a great time at the game in IC. I need to be honest and let you know that I've had multiple less than acceptable experiences at Iowa v. Minnesota games at the Metrodome, so I haven't been to TCF yet. The year Bo Schemblecher died, the student section chanted that they hated Iowa during the moment of silence and the Hawkeye fans, along with a lot of Minnesota fans around us, were appalled, so I kind of gave up interest in going north after that. However, like I said, the other Minnesota fans around us were apologetic, so I don't hold the student section against you all - just don't want to give my money to support them.

Also, in reference to #1 and the second half Iowa playcalling, we're hoping down here that Kirk wanted to get the WRs in time with Vandenberg and the game was fairly in hand at the time so there was no reason to risk (another...) injury to our out-of-nowhere RB. Other than that, I agree with everything you said. I really do like Kill, I really did think your defense turned it on in the second half and the offense had a drive or two where they REALLY clicked before turn overs or touch downs, so that's definitely something to build off of.

Good luck in your bowl game, and if you're lucky enough to get into the CCG, good luck against Purdue (Our Most Hated Rival!) or Wisconsin for the second time in the season!

Hey Guys. Just a Hawkeye fan that wanted to come in and say that I'm glad you had a great time at the game in IC. I need to be honest and let you know that I've had multiple less than acceptable experiences at Iowa v. Minnesota games at the Metrodome, so I haven't been to TCF yet. The year Bo Schemblecher died, the student section chanted that they hated Iowa during the moment of silence and the Hawkeye fans, along with a lot of Minnesota fans around us, were appalled, so I kind of gave up interest in going north after that. However, like I said, the other Minnesota fans around us were apologetic, so I don't hold the student section against you all - just don't want to give my money to support them.

Also, in reference to #1 and the second half Iowa playcalling, we're hoping down here that Kirk wanted to get the WRs in time with Vandenberg and the game was fairly in hand at the time so there was no reason to risk (another...) injury to our out-of-nowhere RB. Other than that, I agree with everything you said. I really do like Kill, I really did think your defense turned it on in the second half and the offense had a drive or two where they REALLY clicked before turn overs or touch downs, so that's definitely something to build off of.

Good luck in your bowl game, and if you're lucky enough to get into the CCG, good luck against Purdue (Our Most Hated Rival!) or Wisconsin for the second time in the season!

During the Sid and Dave Show Sunday morning one of the callers mentioned that Podalack(I assume Ed the former player and I assume announcer or radio show host) said Iowa wanted to work on their passing game as long as they were up by two touchdowns, and that was the reason for fewer runing plays in second half.

Saturday was the worst I've seen the Gophers play since last year's Big Ten opener at Michigan - I was glad the team didn't allow it to turn into another embarrassment of that nature. Regardless of Iowa's playcalling, the Gophers played much better in the second half.

From the attendance of the Homecoming parade on Friday evening, through how loud the crowd gets during the game, to the swarm of people wearing Iowa gear at breakfast and then at the airport the following day, the fan support is impressive. That's a great benefit to being the biggest show in the state. Fun atmosphere, although the tailgating isn't close to as good as what you see at many other places in the conference. Minnesota and Iowa are pretty equal in that respect, IMO.

Very, very happy it's a bye week, for both my health and the team's. We need Gray and the offensive line at full strength for Northwestern.

Top Bottom