The Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 9/30/12

DL65

Reaction score
Back from a pleasant afternoon with the family. And thank you for you birthday wishes to my wife.

Now to today's Sports Huddle Summary:

1) Sid said he was amazed by the Gophers turnaround in the second half: Coach Kill responded by talking about the 1st half difficulties initially. He said they're a young team and mistakes by the young inexperienced players was apparent. Only eight seniors made the traveling squad to Iowa City. He then cited the long throw in the first quarter, after Iowa scored on a field goal, that was caught by a Gopher receiver and then stripped by an Iowa defensive back for an interception. If completed he felt the Gophers would have had momentum and would have been in a good position to score. He went on to say the Hawkeyes got momentum and "we couldn't get the bleeding to stop." Kill cited: "dropped balls . . . (poor) execution . . . defense on the field too long . . . disappointed in (team) effort in the first half," as negative factors in their first half play.

2) Sid asked about Shortell being the team's leading rusher yesterday: "Didn't plan on that . . . didn't run effectively." Kill then focused on turnovers that played pivotal role in yesterday's defeat: "You don't win by turning the ball over." The Gophers had four turnovers to zero for the Hawkeyes. He also said there were too many dropped balls by the receivers.

He then turned his attention to the upcoming bye week: It's coming at the right time - "We need to get healed and get back to fundamentals." The Gophers sustained some injuries in the game. He mentioned Devon Wright, but I didn't hear the nature of his injury, if he said. Cameron Botticelli suffered a dislocated elbow; however, it was reset and he returned to more action on the field. (Kill was impressed with Botticelli's toughness.) He also said a special teams player was hurt, but, again, I didn't catch the name given.

Kill ended the question by saying the Gophers "Got out toughed (by the Hawkeyes)."

3) Sid asked if Marqueis Gray would be ready in two weeks: He was uncertain and said, "It's questionable." They played without Tommy Olson yesterday and that redshirt freshman Jon Christenson got the start. He said it's hard to get continuity because of the injuries. On the plus side, however, the young players have been gaining experience through playing time.

Regarding the turnaround in the second half: They were back in the game, however, the pick six by Kirksey of Iowa was a back breaker: "You can't win giving ball over to the other team."

4) Dave Mona asked about the intimidation factor of the Iowa crowd: The Gopher coaching staff tried to replicate crowd noise last Thursday night at TCF Bank Stadium, but you never really create the environment that you enter in on game day: "Young team not used to the environment . . . players a little tight (especially at the start of the game) . . . could not get the momentum to swing . . . part of being on the road . . . didn't handle it well in the first half."

5) Weisman: "He did a good job, no doubt about it." "We didn't do a good job of tackling . . . they out executed us . . . 'I told Ferentz, the Hawks kicked our butts.'" Dave Mona in asking about Weisman compared him to Mike Alstott of Purdue in the 1990s.

6) Sid asked about Iowa's line blocking (big holes for Weisman): Kill said they have a great scheme (blocking). He also said the team did a poor job of tackling. "The Hawks hit two or three big plays . . . The defense was on the field too much . . . We didn't play good team football . . . Group effort of not doing good things . . . We didn't play very well as a team."

In a later question about which players had good games: Kill cited Jon Christenson in stepping in for Tommy Olson, Ra'Shede Hageman and "Beal did some good things." But again, he stressed it doesn't help if a few are doing good things but there is poor execution on the part of others. It matters what the team does as a whole and not individually.

7) Northwestern: "We'll move to Northwestern this week . . . (but first) evaluate our game film to see what needs to be improved . . . Need to heal up, work on fundamentals and spend time on recruiting."

8) KJ Maye: "He's got ability, talent . . . (Maye) Turned the ball over . . . Needs to play more . . . The more they (young inexperienced players) play the better they'll get . . . I challenged them after the game."

9) Second half improvement: "I talked to them as the head coach (I took it that normally most of the half time talking is made by the coordinators and assistant coaches) . . . (I told them) Get your compsure . . . Get back to the fundamentals . . . Just do your job . . . We did a better job in the second half."

10) Brock Vereen: "Brock Vereen went down Tuesday with a knee injury (MRI taken, which turned out to be okay)." Vereen missed some practice time and played some nickel in yesterday's game. "We needed Brock," but he was limited because of the injury and the lack of practice time. As to injuries: "It's part of the game . . . Iowa has had their fair share of injuries . . . you have to play through them." The team's lack of depth is problematic, especially when there are injuries. Kill did not make any excuses because of the injuries, but he did say the team does not have a great margin for error.

Understandbly, coach Kill sounded disappointed, more subdued today and was matter-of-fact in his respnses.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for the update. When I look at someones moniker I always wonder where they might be from. I always guessed yours might be for Detroit Lakes but to get to Des Moines and back between mid morning and late afternoon says that maybe you live south of the border. If so that would make you a gopher fan in enemy territory. Am I reading that right?

Thanks for the update. When I look at someones moniker I always wonder where they might be from. I always guessed yours might be for Detroit Lakes but to get to Des Moines and back between mid morning and late afternoon says that maybe you live south of the border. If so that would make you a gopher fan in enemy territory. Am I reading that right?

Since you asked, you deserve a response.

I was born and reared in Detroit Lakes and graduated from DLHS in 1965; hence my moniker. I attended and graduated from Moorhead State College (aka: Minnesota Stater University - Moorhead) in 1969. Following my graduation I was inducted into the U.S. Army (Vietnam-Era Vet) 1969-71. Upon my release from active duty, I attended the Broadcast School at Brown Institute in Minneapolis.

Thirty-nine years ago, today, I moved to Knoxville, Iowa, which is 35 miles southeast of Des Moines. I arrived here as the station's news director at radio station KNIA/KRLS radio, a position I held for a couple years. I then made what I intended to be a short career change; however, it turned into long term fulfilling career with the Knoxville Police Department. Sixteen of the nearly thirty years of service was with in the Knoxville Community Schools as a school liasion officer. My last ten years of my career was as the agency's police chief. I retired in 2005; however, I was still interested in community service so I ran for the office of mayor and was elected and served two terms. I ran unopposed in my second term. I chose not to seek reelection in 2009. I thoroughly enjoyed my terms as Knoxville's mayor.

Although I'm officially retired, I remain active and busy in community affairs, serve on a few boards and commissions, and I'm involved in community economic development initiatives.

In short, life's been very good!

I've been a Golden Gopher fan since 1955. Almost everyone in the Knoxville area know of my allegiance to the Gophers (I frequently sport Golden Gopher attire and fly the Gopher flag on game day at my house).

You can only imagine the comments I receive from my Hawkeye friends when the Gophers lose to the Hawks. Most of it's good natured; however, I sometimes hear some boorish comments from others. No big deal.

Our four children have all graduated from college and are enjoying successful careers (we're blessed): Our son graduated from Truman State in Missouri; our eldest daughter graduated from University of Northern Iowa and earned her MBA from Drake University; our second daughter graduated from the U of Iowa; and our youngest daughter graduated from Iowa State University. A few years ago, our Rotary District Governor attended our club meeting. When he heard where our children attended college, he said: "You must be confused on game day." I replied, "Nah, I'm a Golden Gopher and I'm loyal."

I attended yesterday's game in Iowa City with my daughter, an Iowa alumnus, and her husband, who is a diehard Hawkeye fan. I was obvioulsy disappointed in the play of the Gophers and the loss, but I enjoyed their company and the game day atmoshpere in Iowa City and around Kinnick Stadium.

I gave you a lot more than you asked about, but what the heh. As I said, life's been good!!

Looking forward to more Gopher victories.

Go Gophers!!

DL65 I enjoyed reading your bio. As a former police chief you must be impressed by the detective skills shown by "gophertime"who not only guessed that your were from Detroit Lakes (a fine town by the way) but also that you must live near Des Moines. I, too, became a Gopher fan in the early 50s. I loved listening to Dick Enroth, Halsey Hall and Bernie Bierman doing the games. Like stevlars, I waited all day for your report, too. I was toodepressed to listen to the show but then I regretted not doing so. Thanks for all you do!!

Thanks for the info. I didn't mean to be nosy but I enjoyed reading about your background and I think it's ironic that one of the most respected Gopherholers has lived in Iowa for 39 years. Glad to hear life is good and again thanks for your morning recap of the Sports Huddle.

Since you asked, you deserve a response...

In short, life's been very good!...

I gave you a lot more than you asked about, but what heh...

Who'd thunk it? We all have a story and DL's is a great one! Thanks for sharing it DL. Also, thanks for your military and community service. I'm happy for you that your life has been so rewarding.

Again, thanks for sharing and Go Gophers!

Thanks for your reports and congratulations on your vocational and family fulfillment. There must have been something about becoming a Gopher fan in the fifties because I've remained loyal, too, despite living in Louisiana, Nebraska, Georgia and Maryland most years.

Since you asked, you deserve a response.

I was born and reared in Detroit Lakes and graduated from DLHS in 1965; hence my moniker. I attended and graduated from Moorhead State College (aka: Minnesota Stater University - Moorhead) in 1969. Following my graduation I was inducted into the U.S. Army (Vietnam-Era Vet) 1969-71. Upon my release from active duty, I attended the Broadcast School at Brown Institute in Minneapolis.

In short, life's been very good!

Go Gophers!!

A fellow Dragon!! Always good to hear.

Interesting that Kill says KJ Maye needs to play more, but after his fumble, they did not put him back on the field. How do we reconcile that?

I was talking about "him needing to play more" but the coaching staff NOT putting him back in after a fumble.

Go Dragons!!!
Class of '68.
Lifetime Gopher Fan.
Dick Enroth, Halsey Hall, Ray Christenson, Jules Pearlt, Whitey Skoog, Dick Gamraker, Ron Johnson, Eric Magdanz, Archie Clark, Lou Hudson, Chet Anderson, Terry Kunze, Tom Brown, Bobby Bell, Eller, John Campbell .... oh my!!!!!!!!

Interesting that Kill says KJ Maye needs to play more, but after his fumble, they did not put him back on the field. How do we reconcile that?

Maybe he meant that he needs to play more by not fumbling. So don't fumble and he gets more carries.

Top Bottom