MN Leading rusher today...Shortell?

GoldMedalCounty

Reaction score
While we played poorly in several areas today, I think we all know the Gophers aren't going to win many ballgames when Max Shortell is our leading rusher. The run blocking certainly leaves a lot to be desired, but I won't lay all the blame on an offensive line that is young and a bit banged up. In fact, the best thing I can say about the offensive side of the ball is that the pass blocking has been pretty solid all year. Mainly, I'm left wondering when are we going to stop running what looks like the same run play left or right on first down?!? And when are we going to find a back that makes a guy miss or at least breaks arm tackles?

While we played poorly in several areas today, I think we all know the Gophers aren't going to win many ballgames when Max Shortell is our leading rusher. The run blocking certainly leaves a lot to be desired, but I won't lay all the blame on an offensive line that is young and a bit banged up. In fact, the best thing I can say about the offensive side of the ball is that the pass blocking has been pretty solid all year. Mainly, I'm left wondering when are we going to stop running what looks like the same run play left or right on first down?!? And when are we going to find a back that makes a guy miss or at least breaks arm tackles?

100% agree. Why do we never run a sweep or something to the outside? Do we not have any linemen who can pull and lead a back to the outside? Or how about the off-tackle runs that destroyed our D-Line today? Creativity in the run game is severely lacking. Also, after all the offseason hype, I wonder what Gillum did to get in the doghouse? Did he even play on Saturday?

Also, after all the offseason hype, I wonder what Gillum did to get in the doghouse? Did he even play on Saturday?

I was wondering the same thing. Is he in the doghouse? Or is he just not playing well enough?

100% agree. Why do we never run a sweep or something to the outside? Do we not have any linemen who can pull and lead a back to the outside? Or how about the off-tackle runs that destroyed our D-Line today? Creativity in the run game is severely lacking. Also, after all the offseason hype, I wonder what Gillum did to get in the doghouse? Did he even play on Saturday?

We ran to the outside a couple times early with KJ Maye. I think one of them went for a first down. However, you're right, we certainly seem to pound the ball in the middle a lot more.

I think the staff just prefers Maye to Gillum at this point. It might be a pure speed thing, I don't know.

We ran to the outside a couple times early with KJ Maye. I think one of them went for a first down. However, you're right, we certainly seem to pound the ball in the middle a lot more.

I think the staff just prefers Maye to Gillum at this point. It might be a pure speed thing, I don't know.

I have to believe this is due to more than on field performance.

I have to believe this is due to more than on field performance.

Bingo, 19. But it is more fun to speculate otherwise. Coach Kill knows a lot more of the total goings-on, behind the scenes, and pulls the plugs accordingly.

This is all a part of Coach Kill's philosophy that playing for the Gophers is a privilege, and it will be treated as such.

Well done, station19.

Top Bottom