Bad

Run defense
Athletic players like Maye and Jones with fumbles, drops

Ugly

The whole first half
Max's deep balls
Running Max extensively late in 4th quarter
Announcers

The team responded well at half.. I thought they played a great second half, unfortunately it was too late...not sure what was up with shore tells under throws today

I don't think we can be too discouraged. We showed signs of a young team that lost a game in the second quarter. I felt like if we just could have taken a collective deep breath after that first quarter, we would have been ok. What I saw in the first half was a lack of leadership, and it showed. This is Gray's team, and he wasn't even on the sidelines. If he was in there, it would have been different.

Shortell had a bad game. Kirkwood didn't have any open holes and had a hard time seeing openings after he gets through the line of scrimmage. We couldn't get into any rhythm. And we played at Iowa, a very tough place to play. We missed some big plays. I think this team is going to come on strong as the season goes on.

But this is a young and banged up team that now has a couple weeks to collect themselves and get healthy.

I think the Bank is gonna be rocking on Oct. 13. I think we can beat Northwestern.

Chin up everyone. We're a program on the rise. Go Gophers.

Good - We actually fought in the 2nd half instead of folding like most Gopher teams in the past 30 years.
Good - My wife got me out to finish staining the deck. At least one person in the house is happy.

Bad - We were exposed on defense big time.
Bad - Shortell isn't going to win us 8+ games next year either.

Ugly - Tackling, which is always the case when we lose
Ugly - Our passing game sucks. Couple wide open bombs and Shortell couldn't hit the open guy (and we know Gray can't either).

Gophs said:
I don't think we can be too discouraged. We showed signs of a young team that lost a game in the second quarter. I felt like if we just could have taken a collective deep breath after that first quarter, we would have been ok. What I saw in the first half was a lack of leadership, and it showed. This is Gray's team, and he wasn't even on the sidelines. If he was in there, it would have been different.

Shortell had a bad game. Kirkwood didn't have any open holes and had a hard time seeing openings after he gets through the line of scrimmage. We couldn't get into any rhythm. And we played at Iowa, a very tough place to play. We missed some big plays. I think this team is going to come on strong as the season goes on.

But this is a young and banged up team that now has a couple weeks to collect themselves and get healthy.

I think the Bank is gonna be rocking on Oct. 13. I think we can beat Northwestern.

Chin up everyone. We're a program on the rise. Go Gophers.

I absolutely agree! Go Gophers!

When you go down by 24 at the half chances are you will not come back. First half was a disaster - young team they will learn from that half. Gophers will bounce back!

Good- 2nd half defense. Does anyone have the 2nd half stats?

Bad- 1st half defense.

Ugly- Throws down the seam. Do we not have a QB that can make this throw?

Good- 2nd half defense. Does anyone have the 2nd half stats?

Bad- 1st half defense.

Ugly- Throws down the seam. Do we not have a QB that can make this throw?

2nd half defense has more to do with what Iowa was doing offensively than the Gophers playing better.

Good-WR's showed they could get open against a Big Ten team? (not sure they completely answered that question, but I am reaching for something)
Bad- Pass Defense
Ugly- Everything else

This was a BAD loss to another BAD football team. This "young team" excuse doesn't fly when you are not even competitive with a bad football team. Minnesota is the ONLY team through 5 games that has not been in a competitive game with Iowa. This "tough place to play" has seen losses to Central Michigan and Iowa State and a competitive game with Northern Iowa.

I am not surprised the Gophers lost, I thought they were being overrated by both posters on this board and the local media. That said, I am shocked that they were dominated in this game. Iowa is a team that has shown very little explosion on offense and the Gophers "D" was overwhelmed physically by them (I expected the poor performance from the Gophers Oline). If Ferentz was not such a conservative coach, the final score would have been more indicative of the play we saw on the field.

Good-WR's showed they could get open against a Big Ten team? (not sure they completely answered that question, but I am reaching for something)
Bad- Pass Defense
Ugly- Everything else

This was a BAD loss to another BAD football team. This "young team" excuse doesn't fly when you are not even competitive with a bad football team. Minnesota is the ONLY team through 5 games that has not been in a competitive game with Iowa. This "tough place to play" has seen losses to Central Michigan and Iowa State and a competitive game with Northern Iowa.

I am not surprised the Gophers lost, I thought they were being overrated by both posters on this board and the local media. That said, I am shocked that they were dominated in this game. Iowa is a team that has shown very little explosion on offense and the Gophers "D" was overwhelmed physically by them (I expected the poor performance from the Gophers Oline). If Ferentz was not such a conservative coach, the final score would have been more indicative of the play we saw on the field.

They played NIU in Chicago.

Agree 100%. The fact that we were not even competitive with them is by far the thing that bugs me most about this game. This is not a good Iowa team and they have struggled against very average teams so far this season. Iowa winning doesn't shock me given that the game was at Kinnick but I thought we would at least put up a fight.

Iowa State and Central Michigan did us no favors by leaving Iowa City with wins this year.

Win some you lose some; this is just one loss. Nothing more nothing less. 3 more wins and the team is bowling and this loss doesn't register as anything more than another game and folks happy.

Good

Punting
Didn't get totally embarrassed in 2nd half

Bad

Run defense
Athletic players like Maye and Jones with fumbles, drops

Ugly

The whole first half
Max's deep balls
Running Max extensively late in 4th quarter
Announcers

Agree, well said. ESPN, please get rid of Joey Galloway. The guy has no clue. Wow was he awful.

I'm confused by the posters saying IA hasn't shown any explosiveness on offense this year...check the stats. The last 3 games for IA have been freaking great at running the football....including against us. They have a new OC, lost their #1 WR and their 4 top RBs to transfers/injury...hardly a surprise they need a couple games to figure it out.

I suspect at years end we will see IA in a different light.

2nd half defense has more to do with what Iowa was doing offensively than the Gophers playing better.

I don't really know what you mean by this. Iowa certainly didn't get super conservative or anything in their play calling. I was actually surprised by how much they were passing with a big lead and having so much success running the ball.

The defense played much better in the 2nd half, partly due to the fact that our offense was moving the ball as well. Hard to play defense when you're on the field all the time.

I'm confused by the posters saying IA hasn't shown any explosiveness on offense this year...check the stats. The last 3 games for IA have been freaking great at running the football....including against us. They have a new OC, lost their #1 WR and their 4 top RBs to transfers/injury...hardly a surprise they need a couple games to figure it out.

I suspect at years end we will see IA in a different light.

+19

Win some you lose some; this is just one loss. Nothing more nothing less. 3 more wins and the team is bowling and this loss doesn't register as anything more than another game and folks happy.

Two more wins.

This not a real good Iowa team. However, they aren't nearly as bad as the early results showed. As noted, it is an inexperienced team with all new coordinators and new offensive and defensive systems. There've been lots of growing pains. But there is talent and they are led by a decent if not great senior QB. Iowa is a dropped TD pass and an onside kick recovery from being 5-0.

Not a team that will challenge for a big ten title, but certainly a solid, average Big Ten team that was highly motivated to turn things around at home. Tough draw for a still-building Minnesota team.

Good luck going forward. I think you guys have the right coach for a rebuild.

The good- The bye week is coming at a much-needed time

The bad- We might have lost the casual fan's momentum. Naturally ESPN Twin Cities drops the Facebook post "Same old Gophers?" and the dogs are in full-force on the comments sections of articles.

The ugly- Tackling

It is one loss, and people act like the Gophers are going to only win 1 maybe 2 more games. We will take our lumps but we will pull off more wins then a lot of people think
after this loss to Iowa. The Hawkeyes are not as horrible as a loss to CMU might appear. They were up for this game and had zero turnovers.
Minnesota kept going 3 and out and turned the ball over 4 times not to mention the short fields all game. I know we were getting seperation but I do not understand why
Max kept targeting and under throwing the long and stretch plays when the check downs were readily available and we had Jones drop a key 3rd down conversion.
It was a bad loss and we got our butts kicked, so what it is not the last time this will happen. Time to flush this one and start working on Northwestern.
Were going to be in all of our home games even the Michigan game(they will be overconfident and flat) and we are going to pull off one of these trophy games.
The case isn't going to be empty.

The Good - Bye week is up next

The Bad - Result from Saturday

The Ugly - Dr Don

:drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink:

The Good - Bye week is up next

The Bad - Result from Saturday

The Ugly - Dr Don

:drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink:

You peeked thru my bedroom window???

At most places, a person closes the bedroom shades so the neighbors can't see. At my place, I leave them open. The neighbors close theirs so they can't see.

You peeked thru my bedroom window???

At most places, a person closes the bedroom shades so the neighbors can't see. At my place, I leave them open. The neighbors close theirs so they can't see.

Just keeping you on your toes Doc.

Good to me was the atmosphere at Kinnick. Loud, fans standing and cheering. This was my first gopher road game and we are going to do it again! Also their fans were friendly and classy. No one got in our face when we were getting crushed. I hope our fans can eventually have this passion!
Bad the early deep passes. We had chances early to make big plays and change the feeling of the game.
Ugly our lack of a running game. Decent pass protection but we are going to have a hard time in the conference if they don't have to respect our run.

+150

RB averages 9.7ypc and goes for 155 in first half. Iowa throws on first 3 plays of 2nd half, all incomplete, and takes 20 seconds off of clock when up 24.

The ugliest thing I saw was the poor call on engel. That was a catch all the way. Killed our momentum.

Top Bottom