Back in July would You have taken 4-1 going into the bye week?

Don't start that garbage after you just got your arse handed to you by a bad Iowa team in a trophy game.

The team has been exposed and it will be very tough to win 1 more game. Its more disappointing for me with the good start and the inevitable collapse coming, than to start 2-2 and have no expectations.

absolutely but its disappointing to look like we didn't even belong in this game against a poor Iowa team

One bad game (or really more like one bad half) is not the end of the world. Relax people.
Now, if it continues, then we've got problems!
Shake it off, make adjustments and come back and win a few. We played horribly last year against Michigan and Purdue and rebounded later in the season.

4-1 is still good....on the road against a huge rival, ultimately not a bad loss.....it's just the way we lost that was disappointing

Bad performance today on all fronts. Lost the rushing battle, lost the turnover battle and the rest is history. I predicted this team going 6-6 before the season and I still think that is realistic.

4-1 so far is a good record, obviously I would have preferred a loss to Syracuse and a win over Iowa but it is what it is. This team has seven chances to win two games before bowl season. We need to surprise a team the way we have the last two seasons to get there. Now this team has two weeks to have this loss stew in them and fix the mistakes they made. We got Northwestern for homecoming and a win would be a good way to get back on track.

Yes, but remember we won three of those four games by narrow margins. Our defense against the run is not good and our running game (without Q) is not good and those are yardsticks for success in the Big Ten. I dread Lincoln this year...

Im not sure Iowa is that bad. Ferentz has a history of starting slow. Weisman looked very good to me and he is just beginning to realize his potential. Vandenberg can do the play action and their defense stuffed us today. They could go 4-4 in the conference, maybe better.

No, most knowledgeable fans knew we win our four cupcake games (even though we almost blew the UNLV game). Getting destroyed by a terrible Iowa team just reinforces what the casual fan already knows - We might be slightly improved, but were still a nonfactor in the Big Ten. I still think we can go 6-6 and go to some meaningless Bowl. What sucks is the schedule was setup to go 6-0 in a down year in the Big 10. Next year the schedule is more difficult. Well at least Gophers hockey starts next week
Your expectations are way too high. We were 6-18 in the last two years. 6-6 and a bowl game would be a great season for this program. There's no such thing as a cupcake game for a program like ours.rr

That said, I'm not banking on six wins at the moment. The poster above is correct, we haven't looked particularly great even in the four wins (at least not well enough for me to not worry about today), and were exposed a bit today.

Offense really has only been just ok going into today especially the running game. The defense completely exposed today.

Im not sure Iowa is that bad. Ferentz has a history of starting slow. Weisman looked very good to me and he is just beginning to realize his potential. Vandenberg can do the play action and their defense stuffed us today. They could go 4-4 in the conference, maybe better.

We helped Weisman look good with a lot of half-hearted attempts at arm tackles.

Every GopherHoler needs to go on a 10-day drunk to drown his/her sorrows, and then prepare for Northwestern with a new 3-day drunk.

Every GopherHoler needs to go on a 10-day drunk to drown his/her sorrows, and then prepare for Northwestern with a new 3-day drunk.
Something tells me that would have been your plan with a win yesterday as well.

I set the line at 5.5 in July, and after yesterday I think it looks about right. Two days ago I would have taken the over and moved it up to 6.5, and even suggested to people that something crazy like 8-4 was possible with a chance at 9 with a bowl win considering how bad the B10 is this year. I'm back to reality today.

Top Bottom