ESPN announcers

wdgold

Reaction score
Is it just me or does the guy in the booth not know what the hec he is talking about. They can't help but dwell on the fact that Kill talked to the team on the field before halftime. HE DOES THIS EVERY GAME!! And then he goes on to say that most of the players can't hear him anyway, and that is the reason the team is not responding in the 2nd half. I wish I could email the booth, this announcing team has got to be the worst I have ever heard!

Their reasoning was stupid, but they are dead on that 98% of the players' body language indicate they aren't listening or can't hear him. I imagine that with the crowd noise, the proximity to Kill, etc. that a dozen or so players can hear what he says. I have no idea if Kill thinks this is an effective location to talk to the team every game, but he's one of only a handful of coaches in America (at most) that does this. So either he's a genius and the other coaches that first address their team in a quiet locker room are idiots, or...

This is the first game kill and company have looked over matched as a staff IMO. Feels like we came in with a Mac or fcs gameplan of big play or bust. Shortell keeps looking deep when the check down has looked available. Should have kept my no expectations theory and my Saturday wouldn't have been ruined

Is it just me or does the guy in the booth not know what the hec he is talking about. They can't help but dwell on the fact that Kill talked to the team on the field before halftime. HE DOES THIS EVERY GAME!! And then he goes on to say that most of the players can't hear him anyway, and that is the reason the team is not responding in the 2nd half. I wish I could email the booth, this announcing team has got to be the worst I have ever heard!

I heard what he said about players not hearing Kill...I agree that not all players can hear him BUT that is not why they are not responding. Asinine comment!

Point is....Kill's huddle on the field before heading to the locker room is pointless and a waste of time.

I honestly thought Galloway was making joke saying that the players in the back couldn't hear him and that was to blame for our play......no actually he was trying to be insightful. Yikes....that is a hack tandem.

The Gophers stunk and so does that crew. At first I just wanted Joey Galloway to shut up. But by the end of the game I thought that they were all terrible. That sideline guy talking to Floyd was really bad, as bad as Clint Eastwood talking to a chair. That crew stunk it up! Now can the Gophers improve in the next 2 weeks???

It seemed to me that Galloway was trying to prove something and as a result he said some pretty stupid things. Then his snit over not being mentioned as his partner's partner was hilarious but embarrassing.

I thought the sideline reporter's interview of Floyd was pretty funny, actually.

Both horrible. Joey with the shades playing snoopdog in the booth is bush league.

Their reasoning was stupid, but they are dead on that 98% of the players' body language indicate they aren't listening or can't hear him. I imagine that with the crowd noise, the proximity to Kill, etc. that a dozen or so players can hear what he says. I have no idea if Kill thinks this is an effective location to talk to the team every game, but he's one of only a handful of coaches in America (at most) that does this. So either he's a genius and the other coaches that first address their team in a quiet locker room are idiots, or...

Did you happen to see Kill's face when he was talking (yelling) to his players. I'll gurarantee they heard him. Just an idiotic comment by a worthless announcer.

Point is....Kill's huddle on the field before heading to the locker room is pointless and a waste of time.

I hope you are kidding.. because this is the first I've heard how 'pointless' huddling on the field at halftime is.

Non-stop talking(mostly about non-game issues) yet said nothing. Extremely annoying.

Joey Galloway dropped this gem: "He is a walk-on. He doesn't get the same shoes and socks as everyone else." D'okay

Both of them are an embarrassment to ESPN. I would expect quality like that on a Longhorn Network or CBS Sports Network game but not ESPN2.

These two turds were the same that had the Iowa-CMU game last week. Bad announcing crew, you can tell how much effort that ESPN puts in a game by the announcers they assign to a game.
Bad announce crew.

I hope you are kidding.. because this is the first I've heard how 'pointless' huddling on the field at halftime is.

That is because all the experts seem to appear when things aren't going well. It happens like clock work.

These two turds were the same that had the Iowa-CMU game last week. Bad announcing crew, you can tell how much effort that ESPN puts in a game by the announcers they assign to a game.
Bad announce crew.

Like I said before...ESPN takes the lowest bid from the various announcing crews, and this crew was obviously the low bidder, way low.

These two turds were the same that had the Iowa-CMU game last week.

Untrue. In fact, the Iowa-CMU game (BTN) wasn't even on the same network as the Minnesota-Iowa game (ESPN2).

Iowa-CMU game: BTN crew - Kevin Kugler, Danan Hughes
Minnesota-Iowa: ESPN2 crew - Beth Mowins, Joey Galloway

You weren't stuck listening to the the Iowa feed on XM radio. Easily the worst play by play team on the planet. I've heard them do games before (not against MN) and I thought the same thing, so this isn't just my bias as a Gopher fan - they're awful.

Imagine Dave Lee and Paul Allen as a broadcast team. Then go down another ten notches. That's the Iowa crew.
I also listened to Wisconsin - Nebraska (Wisconsin feed, as I was in N. Wisconsin). Just a great crew to listen to - one of the better radio teams I've heard.

I realized after I posted that last week ran together

I realized after I posted that I had the turd announce team mixed up between the BTN and the ESPN channels last week.
Iowa and CMU was on BTN repeater channel and Wisconsin and UTEP was on ESPN, I watched the games , two TV's at the same time and both announce teams were turds. Get's old hearing how they can drone on and on about the home team and barely mention the visitors.
Hence my confusion as to which annouce team was calling Between the Iowa and Wisconsin games. Flipping each channel at commercial break,to other games made me realize how bad that Dorris lady and Joey Galloway really are. If we are on ESPN again this season and they are announcing, I'm turning the radio on and turning the sound off on the TV.

It seems to me that announcing overall has taken a steep nosedive over the last number of years. Listening to the Nebraska-Wisky game on a national broadcast, heard the play by play guy (don't remember name) thrice refer to Nebraska as the Hurricanes (within 15 minutes). His call of the Wisconsin's deep play action pass in the beginning of the game was also comical. "and a run up the middle and that goes nowhere...(5-10 second pause) and Abbredaris makes the catch for a 56 yard gain." No further explanation. One of my biggest pet peeves with announcers today is that rarely ever do they own up to a mistake. It takes two seconds to correct yourself, don't assume all the listeners and viewers are idiots and will just believe you. I'm only 26 but I still remember Ray Christensen and really want to hear someone like that again.

I realized after I posted that I had the turd announce team mixed up between the BTN and the ESPN channels last week.
Iowa and CMU was on BTN repeater channel and Wisconsin and UTEP was on ESPN, I watched the games , two TV's at the same time and both announce teams were turds. Get's old hearing how they can drone on and on about the home team and barely mention the visitors.
Hence my confusion as to which annouce team was calling Between the Iowa and Wisconsin games. Flipping each channel at commercial break,to other games made me realize how bad that Dorris lady and Joey Galloway really are. If we are on ESPN again this season and they are announcing, I'm turning the radio on and turning the sound off on the TV.

I hate to break it to you, but I think you have those guys again on the 13th
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/60524/kick-times-tv-schedule-for-oct-13-games

It seems to me that announcing overall has taken a steep nosedive over the last number of years. Listening to the Nebraska-Wisky game on a national broadcast, heard the play by play guy (don't remember name) thrice refer to Nebraska as the Hurricanes (within 15 minutes). His call of the Wisconsin's deep play action pass in the beginning of the game was also comical. "and a run up the middle and that goes nowhere...(5-10 second pause) and Abbredaris makes the catch for a 56 yard gain." No further explanation. One of my biggest pet peeves with announcers today is that rarely ever do they own up to a mistake. It takes two seconds to correct yourself, don't assume all the listeners and viewers are idiots and will just believe you. I'm only 26 but I still remember Ray Christensen and really want to hear someone like that again.

Part of the problem in my opinion, is that there are so many former players and coaches in the booth. Just because they were good players or coaches, doesn't make them good announcers. Great, you were a good player once. That doesn't mean you know what the coach was thinking or why the player did this or that.

Secondly, tv guys are just plain lazy in most situations. Unlike the radio, we can see what is happening so tv guys think they can just go off talking about who knows what.

Top Bottom