What grade would you give Max Shortell vs. Syracuse?

What grade would you give Max Shortell vs. Syracuse?

• A

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • B

Votes: 115 75.7%
  • C

Votes: 29 19.1%

• Total voters
I give him an A-Minus because he didn't have any turnovers and its not his fault one TD was wiped away on a penalty and another was taken away with a big hit in the end zone. He also had 3 or 4 drops by his receivers. All in all, a very sharp game!

I give him an A-Minus because he didn't have any turnovers and its not his fault one TD was wiped away on a penalty and another was taken away with a big hit in the end zone. He also had 3 or 4 drops by his receivers. All in all, a very sharp game!

You mean when he hung Barker out to dry and he got clobbered in the end zone? That wasn't his fault?

You mean when he hung Barker out to dry and he got clobbered in the ends one? That wasn't his fault?

Hung him out to dry in the end zone? You can't be serious, this has to be a bit. Every receiver at any level of football would love to get a ball thrown to them right in the numbers and have the chance to catch a touchdown.

I'm just saying... He can't be expected to catch that. If he would have come down with it, awesome. But he was led in to a huge hit. I'm not surprised he didn't catch it.

You can't say, "It wasn't his fault." He threw the ball didn't he? By saying that, he is insinuating that it was Barker's fault. I would love to see that argument explained.

You're gonna get hit...Might as well hang on to the ball. Granted, the DB did a great job of putting his helmet right on the ball. I'm just saying Shortell put some balls right on the money and had some bad drops. The Barker drop in the endzone wasn't bad. There were others.

Yes you are gonna get hit but if a qb sees a db loading up for a big hit then he should not be throwing the ball in that area and definetly not throwing it up high leaving the receiver open to a big shot and higher risk for injury. Shortell was off on his targets most of the night. Not that he did a terrible job but many passes were high, behind the reciever or out in front of the reciever with db's coming in from the front of the reciever ready to lay a big lick on them. Sometimes that's where it needed to be such as the pass into the endzone that was dropped but I saw quite a few that were off and earned the reciever a big shot that leveled them. Any reciever in the NFL would be pissed at their qb if they did it to them more than once.

In the endzone, on that kind of play, I think Max has to make that throw. Now, I'm not blaming Barker for not hanging on, it was just a really good play by the Syracuse safety. However, Max made a good throw...the safety just made a really nice play. I can't blame anybody.

Absolutely agree with you on the enzone pass but there were other passes where shortell led the reciever into a big hit. Still give him a B in my opinon though. Hard to argue with no turnovers when you have a less experienced qb playing. I think we will see him improve against Iowa.

I give him a C+. He needs to work on his accuracy on the short passes. Someone said that 0 turnovers cannot be overlooked, which is true, also to not be overlooked, is that the Syracuse D is strongest against the pass.

I like Shortell quite a bit, and I like that we have the successor to Gray, but the talk that some people have had of starting Max over Gray should be put to rest. Max still has a lot of work to do, and it starts with his short to intermediate accuracy.

Skauma?

Yes you are gonna get hit but if a qb sees a db loading up for a big hit then he should not be throwing the ball in that area and definetly not throwing it up high leaving the receiver open to a big shot and higher risk for injury. Shortell was off on his targets most of the night. Not that he did a terrible job but many passes were high, behind the reciever or out in front of the reciever with db's coming in from the front of the reciever ready to lay a big lick on them. Sometimes that's where it needed to be such as the pass into the endzone that was dropped but I saw quite a few that were off and earned the reciever a big shot that leveled them. Any reciever in the NFL would be pissed at their qb if they did it to them more than once.

Not sure if serious.... My sarcasm meter is a little off today

It was more fun arguing about Shortell's inconsistency after the Gophers WON the game rather then lost it.

Top Bottom