All Things 2016 QB - Seth Green Thread

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

Seth Green, the East Ridge quarterback who was recruited by Oregon, is interested in Minnesota, and there is a good chance of him winding up here if he can play at quarterback. The Gophers offered Green a scholarship early in the recruiting period. Then he chose Oregon, but apparently that plan has changed.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-are-pointed-toward-a-big-finish/361697621/

Go Gophers!!

Breaking news at Sid's pace. :cool02:

Love "The Oracle" for all his column over 40+ years!

Per Gophers 24/7, he committed!!

I've heard a lot of varying opinions on how Seth will do at the next level. I'm not sure about any of it because I'm not a qb guru. But regardless, this is a great get for perception and momentum for this class.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

per Greder:

"Seth has all the tools to be a big-time ballplayer, and it's a great catch for Minnesota," said recruiting analyst Tom Lemming.

He could enroll at the U as soon as January and take part in spring practices.

"He's a four-star guy with five-star size and ability and just has to show it," Lemming said. "He can move. That was the first thing that I saw when I was up in Minnesota."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_29246451/gophers-football-lands-big-commit-former-east-ridge

Go Gophers!!

Oregon has 2-3 QB's coming in along with 2 returning QB's who played this year. Add to that Dakota Prukop a Graduate from Montana State is picking between Oregon and Alabama today. Green seems to be making a good decision in coming to a place where in on year the QB position is wide open.

Q&A with Green's coach in Texas:

Q. What's your sense of how he feels about coming back to Minnesota for college?

A. "I think he’s pretty excited about it. He was committed to Oregon when he first got here, and [offensive coordinator Scott] Frost left, and they got another commitment in, and so I don’t know where all that went to. But then I talked to [Green] a little bit when he was going to look elsewhere, and it just happened to be that Minnesota was also looking for a quarterback, too. So it kind of fit just perfect, and he has a great relationship with all the coaches up there.

Q. How would you rate his work ethic and ability to check his ego at the door?

A. "He’s second to none. He did a great job. I mean, studies the game well and had to study it quite a bit to pick everything up that we’re doing and knowing that he’s going to have to do that at the next level too. As far as working and studying the game, and as far as working out, he’s second to none. He’ll win every spring practice, and he’s awesome in the weight room and is a good leader that way, leading by example of being out front. So I think they’re getting a great one."

http://www.startribune.com/q-a-with-seth-green-s-coach-from-allen-texas/361823461/

Go Gophers!!

Chip Scoggins: Green's arrival at U brings promise, but no guarantees

A head coach who faced Green during his junior season at East Ridge offered a summary: “People talk about his accuracy but he threw the ball great against us. I thought he was a great quarterback. … He’s such a good runner. That’s the part that scared you more. You were hoping you were going to get into a game where you could get him to drop back and just throw. … He’s a true Division I prospect with a lot of work to do. Like any quarterback.”

That last part should be underlined.

Green has a lot of work to do. He needs to develop his skills. He has the foundation, the physical tools to be special. But potential without development means nothing.

Snagging a commitment from Green qualifies as a nice coup for Claeys. The Gophers and their fans should be excited. This is a big deal in terms of national perception.

Claeys’ choice of offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach becomes critical. He can’t afford to swing and miss. Given only a three-year contract, he doesn’t have enough time to cycle through coordinators or quarterbacks.

The program’s history at quarterback has been anything but glorious. Claeys can change that narrative. A talented, athletic, highly regarded quarterback is about to walk through his door.

Let’s see what Claeys and his new staff does with this opportunity.

http://www.startribune.com/green-s-arrival-at-u-brings-promise-but-no-guarantees/362100281/

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

claeys has this thing dialed in.

Claeys has landed the QB for his tenure. New QB coach is gonna have to answer for development only while the OFF. coordinator answers for the play calling.

New QB coach is gonna have to answer for development only while the OFF. coordinator answers for the play calling.

Those will be the same person, so I guess he'll have to answer for both.

per Sid:

• Gophers coach Tracy Claeys on what he saw out of former East Ridge standout quarterback Seth Green, who signed his letter of intent to play for the Maroon and Gold last week: “We were familiar with Seth, him being here in the state of Minnesota until last year. His dad took a job promotion down there in Texas. At Allen High School, where he played, those kids through the junior high and everything do the same system, and I thought he did remarkably well there for going in and only having one year to learn what they’re doing, and all those other kids had been in that system for six years. We do feel like he’s extremely talented and will have the skills to make us a better football team.”

http://www.startribune.com/hartman-three-game-break-has-vikings-joseph-eager-to-return/363505121/

Go Gophers!!

Big STrib profile: Gophers recruit Seth Green: Homegrown, with some Texas seasoning

Change of heart

Green has a unique combination of size, speed and arm strength. Westerberg said Green’s work ethic — film study, weight room training, etc. — is “second to none.” But scouting analysts also see inconsistencies in Green’s throwing mechanics. Like any incoming freshmen, he’s far from a finished product.

When he first committed to Oregon, Rivals.com had him ranked as the nation’s No. 8 dual-threat quarterback, but he has since dropped to No. 22 on that list. Oregon continued to add quarterbacks to this year’s recruiting class, making it look as if the Ducks had cooled on Green.

When he flipped to Minnesota, he cited Oregon offensive coordinator Scott Frost’s departure to become Central Florida’s head coach. Meanwhile, Gophers coach Tracy Claeys had just fired offensive coordinator Matt Limegrover and was in the process of hiring his replacement, which became Jay Johnson, from Louisiana-Lafayette.

“I got the feeling the writing was on the wall [at Oregon],” said Tom Lemming, a recruiting analyst for CBS Sports Network. “Not that they told [Green] to leave, but they probably weren’t showing him as much attention as they did early on.”

Still, Lemming noted how fortunate the Gophers are, with Green set to sign his letter of intent on Wednesday.

“He’s a big-time catch at quarterback,” he said. “He was actually the top prospect in Minnesota before he left. So it’s a good thing they’re bringing him back home.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-recruit-seth-green-homegrown-with-some-texas-seasoning/367301931/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom