Can someone explain to me

klmoon

Reaction score
When we (thought we) stopped WM on 4th down and they did an official review of the spotting of the ball, how do they end up giving us a penalty for 12 men on the field if they didn't flag it during the play? If they wouldn't have reviewed the ball placement it would have been a non issue, correct?:confused:

They can review anything that is normally "reviewable" under the rules. I think it's ridiculous.

"Oh, by the way, we saw number 66 player punch another player in the scrum, so there is a 15 yard penalty and number 66 is ejected. Also, we saw that the Gophers bench left the sideline after the play was over, so we will tack on another 5 yards...and we are pretty sure that the player crossed a goal line somewhere on the field. Touchdown. The penalties will be enforced on the kickoff."

My guess is the WMU staff requested the review because of the 12 men. He wasn't even close to picking up the first down, so I can't imagine the review was for the spot.

My guess is the WMU staff requested the review because of the 12 men. He wasn't even close to picking up the first down, so I can't imagine the review was for the spot.

Agree with this...which is perfectly legitimate.

This seemed odd to me as well. I would like to know what the actual rule is on this, as you could likely find a penalty on every play if you would look hard enough.

They can review anything that is normally "reviewable" under the rules. I think it's ridiculous.

"Oh, by the way, we saw number 66 player punch another player in the scrum, so there is a 15 yard penalty and number 66 is ejected. Also, we saw that the Gophers bench left the sideline after the play was over, so we will tack on another 5 yards...and we are pretty sure that the player crossed a goal line somewhere on the field. Touchdown. The penalties will be enforced on the kickoff."

12 men on the field is the only penalty that can be reviewed or enforced upon review.

I swear the official said it was an official review to determine the placement of the ball. I'm just happy we won!

I swear the official said it was an official review to determine the placement of the ball. I'm just happy we won!

I don't know if it was this, however, I don't think it involved 12 men on the field. I thought the Ref said something about first down. The people around us said thought that there was no way it was a first down...so that is what they thought they heard also. Maybe missed by as much as a yard. Kill was in the ear of the Ref shortly after that explaining the situation. It was quite a conversation;)

LOL that about sums it up.;)

Radio announcers said the same that they were reviewing to determine placement of the ball but also their internal spotter noticed that we had twelve men on the field and they discussed whether that was reviewable in college (said it was definitely reviewable in the NFL).

Top Bottom