$10 Tickets for Syracuse

I've brought up this issue myself. Not because I feel ripped off as a season ticket holder, but more out of concern of the perception and buyer behavior it promotes. Sort of like retailers that have gotten into trouble because they have way too many sales. This is a real phenomenon that has gotten retailers like JC Penney and others into a real jam (i.e. google the trend towards 'everyday low pricing' which is an attempt to get buyers weaned off of waiting for sales).

As far as benefits to season ticket holders, here's one: I've held tickets for 9 years (the first two were student season tickets), and have only occasionally given donations whenever I feel a little flush. Last year I gave them a measly extra $100, and I think that was the first additional donation I'd made since TCF Bank Stadium opened.

Imaging my surprise when I got called for the upgrade and got seats on the aisle halfway up the lower level in seatback section 137. The aisle directy across from the first 'seat license' section no less. I'm now about 3 feet away from people that pay the extra fee every year. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

There are several reasons I give the extra money for the seat license (or whatever you wish to call it).
1. I know from year to year where I will be sitting. I am on the 30 yard line, lower level. High in the section so I have great sight lines.
2. My donation goes to the football program (athletic department) to support everything about the football program.
3. It qualifies me to get into a tailgate lot. Very important.
4. I get a tax deduction

I don't care if the person sitting next to me paid more or less for his ticket than I did. I just want them to be Gopher fans. I am sick of going to a rival game and sitting next to a rivals fan. Minnesota fans need a new mind set. Go to the game and support you team. Yes winning will do that. Fans in the stands showing support for the Gophers might just swing a recruit or two our way. Coach Kill is building this team the right way. No shortcuts. He is in this for the long haul and we need to be there to support his and the players efforts. When I say coach Kill, I am referring to the entire coaching staff, because I look at them as one unit, not a bunch of individuals coaching different positions. Enough of my morning rant. I hope to see a sell out this week and that would be great. It's a 7PM start, so students fill up the student section and lets get this place rocking. Home stands side = SKI. Student section = U. Visitors side = MAH. Let get SKI-U-MAH going. Say it loud. GO GOPHERS........JERRY, JERRY, JERRY.

We're not likely to see $10 tickets when the Big Ten season begins, and those games are the ones that most season ticket holders really want. It's the scalpers who this really undercuts. On Stubhub, the cheapest seats for the Syracuse game are around $28.

Yes, there's a point where people one one side of the aisle will pay a donation, and the people on the other side will not. There has to be a cutoff somewhere. That seat without a donation is about as good a seat as you will get without the donation, the seat on the other side of the aisle is about as poor a seat as you get with a donation. If they keep their seats over time, those who pay the donation will get to sit in better and better seats. It's a choice you make.

Curiosity got the best of me..checked StubHub..and looks like some folks (scalpers) did purchase some in bulk.

Just one example: Section 246 Row 31 Seats 1-20 $26 each.

I'm not sure if these seats are owned by scalpers. I know these used to be owned by the athletic department and used for recruits, guests, etc. I found a seating map from 2009 that shows them along with seats in 145 and 146 as university owned. I know that we often see Tubby Smith with recruits and team members sitting below us in 145.

https://www.mygophersports.com/online/branding/facilities/TCF Bank/ticket_seating_map.jpg

Curiosity got the best of me..checked StubHub..and looks like some folks (scalpers) did purchase some in bulk.

Just one example: Section 246 Row 31 Seats 1-20 $26 each.

So frustrating. Honestly, the whole point of the U doing this was to get fans in on the cheap.. those who couldn't afford/justify ticket prices as they were but could maybe try it out for $10 a pop this one time to see how much they liked it and maybe next year they make saving for Gopher Football more of a priority. Instead, all that happens is scalpers buy tickets in bulk in hope of earning some bucks off the university. And by doing so they are keeping these tickets out of the hands of those who may have wanted them. Not many people are going to walk up to the stadium to try scalping tickets if they weren't interested already. Frustrated.

Overall I think the occasional $10 ticket offer is a good idea. Hate to hear the scalping story like the one above, but I do NOT think it undercuts season ticket holders. In fact, I think many of these tickets are scooped up by season ticket holders so they can bring their inlaws, friends, etc. to a game that they normally wouldn't be able to do. I think it is actually a positive for season ticket holders, rather than a negative or slap in the face.

So frustrating. Honestly, the whole point of the U doing this was to get fans in on the cheap.. those who couldn't afford/justify ticket prices as they were but could maybe try it out for $10 a pop this one time to see how much they liked it and maybe next year they make saving for Gopher Football more of a priority. Instead, all that happens is scalpers buy tickets in bulk in hope of earning some bucks off the university. And by doing so they are keeping these tickets out of the hands of those who may have wanted them. Not many people are going to walk up to the stadium to try scalping tickets if they weren't interested already. Frustrated.

Just tried to buy a few extra tickets for fringe fans that would otherwise stay at the tailgate lot and it looks like the $10 tickets are sold out. Unfortunate if scalpers scooped up a bunch.

Awesome picture from GopherSports Facebook page about the sell-out.

gophers assemble.jpg

Gopher fans, you answered the call!

$10 tickets for Saturday's game vs. Syracuse now are SOLD OUT! A limited number of single-game tickets are still available and student tickets are still just 10 bucks (http://z.umn.edu/studenttix).

BE THERE under the lights! Buy right here on Facebook: http://on.fb.me/UXwtn5

5300 were sold. 1500 tickets are still left at $40. 2000 student tickets are left at $10/each.

It'd be great if we could get this place sold out for a great fall night game. It'll be cold, but it will be fine if you dress appropriately. 2000 more student tickets left? I imagine Jerry will be handing out tickets again this Friday to about 500, so if we could sell even 500 more student tickets that would be great! Let's get those $40 seats sold too and pack the house!

I absolutely hate scalpers. I wish it were still illegal. They are scum.

Just looked at Stub Hub and it does look like quite a few tickets were picked up by scalpers. Very annoying as I have a coworker who was looking this morning to get tickets for her and her kids

We will unfortunately be out of town (in Wisconsin, disgustingly enough) this weekend for my daughter's 1st birthday, so I sold my tickets on StubHub. I listed them for $50, thinking I'd go exorbitantly high and back off a little each day when they didn't sell. Shockingly, they actually sold at that price! I guess I should've asked for more...

I'm thinking the scalpers will be out in front of the stadium with stacks of printed out sheets of paper Saturday night.

My donation goes to the football program (athletic department) to support everything about the football program.

Were you able to restrict your donation to the football program?

ibdvfm.png

Well...it looks like this may very well be close to a sellout in terms of tickets sold, but I will be surprised if the place looks full. Stupid scalpers jumped ALL OVER the $10 tickets. Really unfortunate.

College football live has a segment about minnesota and syracuse tickets coming up right now.

Do we really know that scalpers bought a significant number of these tickets?

Honestly, if I were a scalper I'm not sure I would have invested much in this promotion. I don't see them getting a lot of business outside Gopher football games. Plus, I looked on stubhub and ticketking and it didn't appear there were that many of these tickets being sold online.

I feel like scalpers buying up the tickets run a risk of over estimating their own demand. Now people might read the headlines and be interested in going to the game because it looks like people scooped up all of the tickets. But at the same time, the casual Twin Cities sports fan might only be interested in going to game if the tickets were $10. If that is the case, they will have a hard time re-selling those tickets.

Then again, if scalpers on the street bought those tickets, any fan that doesn't have a ticket and made their way to campus is most likely will buy a ticket since they have already invested so much of their time in getting there. I hope the place is overflowing by the pre-game show.

We will unfortunately be out of town (in Wisconsin, disgustingly enough) this weekend for my daughter's 1st birthday, so I sold my tickets on StubHub. I listed them for $50, thinking I'd go exorbitantly high and back off a little each day when they didn't sell. Shockingly, they actually sold at that price! I guess I should've asked for more...

Disgustingly enough, I will be in Minnesota so we will balance things out. I will go anywhere to watch the Gophers. Even Minnesota.

People from Wisconsin to come to Minnesota to see strange and exotic things they don't have at home. Like soap.

Listening to Teague right now on KFAN and he says he is confident it will be a sellout. He said regular ticket availability is now in the "hundreds" and a few more in the student section.

Listening to Teague right now on KFAN and he says he is confident it will be a sellout. He said regular ticket availability is now in the "hundreds" and a few more in the student section.

I hope he's right! Now, define a few more.

Okay calm down about the scalpers. If anyone knows the market it's scalpers. They aren't going to buy piles of tickets if they can't sell them. If they make a few bucks in the process good for them.

Only hundreds left.....The Bank will be Rockin Saturday night!!!

Does anyone know if the students bought the tickets, or if they sold the student tickets for $10 to general public?

Does anyone know if the students bought the tickets, or if they sold the student tickets for $10 to general public?

They were two separate $10 ticket deals. The general public seats sold out already, there are still some student tickets available.

Top Bottom