All Things Jarvis Johnson Thread

For whatever reason, Tubby dragged his feet on Johnson. I'm happy to hear that Pitino was quick to offer him.

Go Gophers!!

Man I hope we can land this guy. Looks solid, has great hands, and I couldn't even tell how he got the ball inside @ 1:05 of that highlight reel. Would fit in well in a fast-paced press system for sure.

Long overdue. Jarvis should make an impact on Tyus and Reid's Howard Pulley team this summer.

Tubby seemed to be the last to offer everyone.

Until recently his only decent offers were from Iowa State and Creighton, now has an offer from Penn State, if that's considered a decent offer. Tubby was clearly not the only power conference coach who was hesitant to offer. Maybe his recruitment will pick up as time goes on, but until sometime within the last few weeks, I think Iowa State was the only power conference program that had offered him.

Until recently his only decent offers were from Iowa State and Creighton, now has an offer from Penn State, if that's considered a decent offer. Tubby was clearly not the only power conference coach who was hesitant to offer. Maybe his recruitment will pick up as time goes on, but until sometime within the last few weeks, I think Iowa State was the only power conference program that had offered him.

+1

Tubby STILL seemed to be last to offer everyone.

Long overdue. Jarvis should make an impact on Tyus and Reid's Howard Pulley team this summer.

Already has made his presence known with Pulley! He scored double figures in 2/4 games I believe with a healthy dose of assists in a few of those games.

I would consider ISU and Creighton to be pretty good offers for a soph. I would think over the summer this kid will get many more offers. This was an offer that had to be made.

@jgonstrib: #Gophers new coach Richard Pitino immediately recognizes DeLaSalle's Jarvis Johnson's talent & offered scholarship to the sophomore. #mshsl

Go Gophers!!

I saw Jarvis and Reid in a dunk contest at De on Friday night. They were 1 and 2 among about eight local high school guys. The kid can jump out of the gym. I don't evaluate 15 year old basketball players for a living, but he is an incredibly athletic kid and sure looks like a high D-1 player, and he beat Reid in the dunk contest fair and square. Time to make sure he has an offer on the table.

A woman that i work with showed me a video of that dunk contest. Jarvis has really impressive hops. I'm glad to see that we offered.

Jarvis has really impressive highlights. I only saw one full De game during the tournament and he was impressive in that game as well.

Good offer, it should have come 5 months ago.

That's true but for a local kid in a state that doesn't have many D1 prospects he should've been offered earlier. He's obviously a D1 talent and has been since last year. Kid has top level quickness and at 6' can elevate and finish

I would consider ISU and Creighton to be pretty good offers for a soph. I would think over the summer this kid will get many more offers. This was an offer that had to be made.

I agree with you.

Love this kids upside. He simply gets better every time i see him and is putting together the fundamentals with the athletic ability quickly. Also very much a fan of the way he is coached in high school.

He certainly has great physical talents, especially as a sophmore, I'm not sold on him as a basketball player though, hope he develops in the next couple of years, not there yet though, I understand why Tubby was waiting.

He certainly has great physical talents, especially as a sophmore, I'm not sold on him as a basketball player though, hope he develops in the next couple of years, not there yet though, I understand why Tubby was waiting.

That's right because, as Tubby demonstrated here, he wasn't about to spend his valuable time on player development.

That's right because, as Tubby demonstrated here, he wasn't about to spend his valuable time on player development.

I love it, sure seemed to be the case though.

I would have said the same thing about Travis at the end of his Sophmore year, wait a year and see, now it's like wow so obvious, could have offered him as a ninth grader.

STrib: Checking in with Gophers target Jarvis Johnson

It’s a notable change of pace from Tubby Smith and the previous coaching staff, which hadn’t offered Johnson at all, and barely communicated with him, the guard said.

“Not very often,” Johnson said. “I mean, I already know the new coaching staff this year better than I knew the coaching staff last year. They’ve been pretty cool.”

“It affected me,” Johnson said. “I mean, [Smith] came to a lot of games, but I guess he never really thought I was that good.”

Johnson has already formed a bond with new assistant Ben Johnson, who was recruiting him last season at Nebraska. And Pitino has made a good first impression with the Brooklyn Park native, who called the coach “laid back” and “a cool guy.”

“It means a lot,” the 6-1, 185 Johnson said. “A lot of kids like to stay at home and play in front of their fans and their family and friends and not a lot of people get to do that.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/204752921.html

Go Gophers!!

How did Tubby not even keep in regular contact with Jarvis? Thank god we got rid of him and got someone like Pitino.

Can you list the Gopher signees offered 19 or more months prior to NSD? His current offer list hardly resembles those of a 4***. Where are the other B1G teams other than Penn State? I do not know, but I would certainly not rule out an academic risk. His offers do not match his ability at this point in time.
Tubby didn't keep in touch the kid must have bad grades. Give me a break. Regardless Tubby should at least have a relationship with a D1 prospect from one of the state's top programs.

Pretty pathetic on Tubby's part. I could understand not offering yet, but barely communicating? I can only imagine how much more effort Pitino is putting into recruiting. It seemed like recruits always talked about having relationships with assistants but not really Tubby.

STrib: Checking in with Gophers target Jarvis Johnson

It’s a notable change of pace from Tubby Smith and the previous coaching staff, which hadn’t offered Johnson at all, and barely communicated with him, the guard said.

“Not very often,” Johnson said. “I mean, I already know the new coaching staff this year better than I knew the coaching staff last year. They’ve been pretty cool.”

“It affected me,” Johnson said. “I mean, [Smith] came to a lot of games, but I guess he never really thought I was that good.”

Johnson has already formed a bond with new assistant Ben Johnson, who was recruiting him last season at Nebraska. And Pitino has made a good first impression with the Brooklyn Park native, who called the coach “laid back” and “a cool guy.”

“It means a lot,” the 6-1, 185 Johnson said. “A lot of kids like to stay at home and play in front of their fans and their family and friends and not a lot of people get to do that.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/204752921.html

Go Gophers!!

Ames Tribune: Catching up with Reid Travis and Jarvis Johnson

Johnson, whose sister will join the Cyclones’ women’s basketball program next fall, sports a number of offers, including ISU, New Mexico State, Northern Iowa and others.

He was recently offered by hometown Minnesota and its new coach, Richard Pitino, as well as Penn State.

Abdelmassih has been the point man for Johnson’s recruitment, which the sophomore said he plans on taking slow in the upcoming months.

http://amestrib.com/blog/hines-on-hoops/catching-reid-travis-and-jarvis-johnson.html

Go Gophers!!

Jarvis is currently attending the Nike Elite 100 camp in St. Louis, featuring many of the top underclassmen in the country.

Top Bottom