All Things Jarvis Johnson Thread

Starters:
PG - Dorsey
SG - Mason
SF - Morris
PF - Martin
C - Konate

6/7th Man - King/Johnson

Please do just wait. I'm just sharing what I know. I don't usually do that, as I get so crucified if I'm ever wrong (and FYI -the Reid news came from one of his coaches the night before his commitment...you don't get a much better source than that, but kids change their minds), but I went out on a limb and will just block people on Twitter that rip me if it doesn't happen.

With that being said, my source said there could be a presser tomorrow at DLS - but that's not confirmed. What he did say is that Jarvis has wanted to be a Gopher for months.

Wow, I never knew that bolded part about Reid...seems like a lot of people were fooled by that commit, including his coaches I guess. It pains me to this day to realize how close the Gophers were to actually getting Reid. And good plan on the Twitter front, a TON of rude people on there! Thanks again for sharing (even if you do end up being wrong ;))

Wow, I never knew that bolded part about Reid...seems like a lot of people were fooled by that commit, including his coaches I guess. It pains me to this day to realize how close the Gophers were to actually getting Reid. And good plan on the Twitter front, a TON of rude people on there! Thanks again for sharing (even if you do end up being wrong ;))

I had heard he was very torn... I forget was it his mom wanted Stanford, dad Gophers?

He actually didn't say "arguably"... he said it wasn't even close.

"I'm not saying he will be our best player, but he's got the most talent of anybody in our basketball program."

Keyword. It reminds me of the NFL combine... I put more stock into the game tape.

View attachment 2885

Cool pic.
I seen some actual tape, looked pretty on the 7th shortest team in the nation...

Anywho, I hope Jarvis decides to be apart of this backcourt. That will be exciting.
Also will help open up the MN pipeline for future recruits. I'm kinda giddy about it.

I might be crazy, but there is no way King and Morris aren't starting as Seniors. I also doubt highly that a Freshman starts next year.

1. Mason
2. Lofton
3. Morris
4. King
5. Martin (If he truly is 6'10" I don't see any reason he cannot run the 5 in Pitino's offense go look at some Florida Tape)

6. McNeil
7. Ko Not Today
8. The rest of the crew

Obviously the deepest team we've had in years. Completely awesome that we are fighting about this.

I might be crazy, but there is no way King and Morris aren't starting as Seniors. I also doubt highly that a Freshman starts next year.

1. Mason
2. Lofton
3. Morris
4. King
5. Martin (If he truly is 6'10" I don't see any reason he cannot run the 5 in Pitino's offense go look at some Florida Tape)

6. McNeil
7. Ko Not Today
8. The rest of the crew

Obviously the deepest team we've had in years. Completely awesome that we are fighting about this.

Have you read Pitino's comments on Mason yet? It really sounds like he doesn't see him as a PG, at least not primarily. He sees him as Dre Hollins, someone who can play PG, but is more comfortable and productive at an off guard position. That is why I had Dorsey or Jarvis at the starting PG spot.

Have you read Pitino's comments on Mason yet? It really sounds like he doesn't see him as a PG, at least not primarily. He sees him as Dre Hollins, someone who can play PG, but is more comfortable and productive at an off guard position. That is why I had Dorsey or Jarvis at the starting PG spot.

I agree, however a second year Mason might have the edge at point over a freshman even if he's more like Andre. Like Pitino mentioned, he needs to touch the ball. That being said, there are pretty solid freshman we are talking about, so I could see them getting the rock in their first year.

That's why I'm going with Dorsey and Mason to start at the 1 & 2 based on what we know today.

I agree, however a second year Mason might have the edge at point over a freshman even if he's more like Andre. Like Pitino mentioned, he needs to touch the ball. That being said, there are pretty solid freshman we are talking about, so I could see them getting the rock in their first year.

Agreed, I was just interested in his reasoning and whether Pitino's most recent comments were taken into account.

I think Mason might start out the season as the starter at PG, but I think he'll slide into more of an off guard role pretty quickly once Dorsey/Jarvis 'prove' that they handle a starting role. They aren't project players, they're highly regarded recruits. 4* freshman start and play big minutes all the time in the Big 10 and I think these two will be no different.

Man I hope this isn't Reid 2.0, because I'm excited for the 2015 season.

Any word on a Midnight Madness date?

I think Mason might start out the season as the starter at PG, but I think he'll slide into more of an off guard role pretty quickly once Dorsey/Jarvis 'prove' that they handle a starting role. They aren't project players, they're highly regarded recruits. 4* freshman start and play big minutes all the time in the Big 10 and I think these two will be no different.

They're more of a project than you realize. Neither will be ready to handle a team on day one. Neither can shoot, both need to get bigger, both need experience. I would be surprised if one starts as a freshman on day one if we have other players who can do the job adequately.

That's why I'm going with Dorsey and Mason to start at the 1 & 2 based on what we know today.

Agreed, I was just interested in his reasoning and whether Pitino's most recent comments were taken into account.

Hoop Dream is right along the lines of what I'm thinking.

I did read Pitino's comments on Mason, but I also don't believe that Richard absolutely NEEDS a pure point guard. I remember his earlier comments about having 3 PG on the floor at one time as well.

My belief is that Pitino's system has a dominant point guard right now, because he has a dominant clear cut point guard. If it was absent of that (I don't think 2 3/4* PGs equate dominant PGs as FRESHMAN in the Big 10) he would resort to having the ball come up the court by committee and try and get the ball up the court as quickly as possible. With Mason Morris and Lofton, any of those three could easily advance the ball up the court and run our high pick and roll offensive sets.

I've read many reports on Jarvis that say he's more of a 2 than a point guard and Dorsey has been considered more of a 2 by some as well. If someone told me that we had a high level pass first PG coming in next year I would maybe think they could run the team from day one, but I just don't see it happening with the cast we've got coming in. That year of development in the system and in the weight room will put Mason as a much more confident and capable point guard than our true freshmen coming in.

"I've read many reports on Jarvis that say he's more of a 2 than a point guard and Dorsey has been considered more of a 2 by some as well."

I personally think Jarvis is more of a 2 than a 1, but similar to Mason is capable of playing either gaurd spot.

"I've read many reports on Jarvis that say he's more of a 2 than a point guard and Dorsey has been considered more of a 2 by some as well."

I personally think Jarvis is more of a 2 than a 1, but similar to Mason is capable of playing either gaurd spot.

By no means was I saying he ISNT a Pg, I was just commenting on how he isn't considered a "true point guard" (whatever that means). (read the earlier sentence where I stated our system currently has a clear cut 1 because we have a player who is a clear cut 1)

Let the Minnesota pipeline comence...lol.

I'm having fun at work today.

Bump.

We only need one Jarvis thread... But welcome JJ!

Dorsey then Dupree then Nwankwo then Jarvis then Illikainen then Michael Hurt then Amir then Goanar Mar then Gary Trent then Matt Hurt???? Please?!

Top Bottom