All Things Jarvis Johnson Thread

I have watched Jarvis play twice this season and he has not stood out at all. Most of the focus of their team is Reid. Jarvis has not looked to score as much as I expected.

If you've seen him play he has no offensive game. There is a reason he doesn't have an offer from the Gophers and it isn't because Tubby hasn't seen enough of him. He plays with Reid Travis for crying out loud.

He is way way way overrated on Rivals. He is not even close to a 4 star. He's unranked on ESPN. That is more like it.

Yes, I've seen him play. A lot. I've also seen all of the top 5+ point guards in the nation extensively the past few years. You would have a hard time naming one top 100 player in a given class that I haven't seen in person at least a couple times. Many I've seen 10+ times. Jarvis is a Big Ten talent without question. He is absolutely worth a Gopher offer and I would be very excited if he commits here.

I have watched Jarvis play twice this season and he has not stood out at all. Most of the focus of their team is Reid. Jarvis has not looked to score as much as I expected.

Reid is too strong, too physical, and too skilled for any Minnesota high school player. It's understandable that they feed him on virtually every possession. Jarvis doesn't seem to really know his role right now. When he is aggressive attacking off the dribble he is almost impossible to stay in front of on defense, but the coach clearly wants the ball going to Reid every time. Jarvis is just abiding by the coach's orders. He is extremely talented. Go watch him in AAU when he has a little more freedom. You'll be impressed.

If you've seen him play you'd quickly realize he is not deserving of a Gopher offer. Maybe in 2 years.

I see you edited your post, but you are still incorrect. Jarvis is absolutely deserving of an offer. Now, next year, and two years from now.

Reid is too strong, too physical, and too skilled for any Minnesota high school player. It's understandable that they feed him on virtually every possession. Jarvis doesn't seem to really know his role right now. When he is aggressive attacking off the dribble he is almost impossible to stay in front of on defense, but the coach clearly wants the ball going to Reid every time. Jarvis is just abiding by the coach's orders. He is extremely talented. Go watch him in AAU when he has a little more freedom. You'll be impressed.

+1, you're spot on

Tubby was at Reid and Jarvis' game on Tuesday night.

Go Gophers!!

Jarvis needs to improve his jumper all the way out to 22 feet to set up his dribble penetration and finish or feed game. His low 7ppg average is mostly a result of not making shots outside the paint. Concur that until Jarvis is a senior that Thorson will probably have him feeding the ball to Travis until the cows come in.

I see you edited your post, but you are still incorrect. Jarvis is absolutely deserving of an offer. Now, next year, and two years from now.

Isn't it possible that we're just waiting a bit to get a better read on what Tyus is likely to do? JJ presumably would understand that too. Yes, there probably would be room for both eventually, but I still think it's reasonable for all parties involved to wait a little bit.

Isn't it possible that we're just waiting a bit to get a better read on what Tyus is likely to do? JJ presumably would understand that too. Yes, there probably would be room for both eventually, but I still think it's reasonable for all parties involved to wait a little bit.

They're in different classes. Who knows how long Tyus would stay if he does end up here. Even he comes and stays 4 years, why wouldn't you want a talented back-up who is ready to step in as the starter his senior year?

looks like Jarvis will verbal with the mayor at Iowa St by next fall unless Tubby offers .

THE SCOUT! can you provide us with a link? Or at least tell us where you heard this? Surely you can't think he's going to commit next year just because Iowa State is his only offer. ROYALGOPHER

His sister is starting there 2013, He and his Mother raved about the visit. So unless he blows up over the summer I think he will Grab the ISU offer. If ISU gets another pg ( they have a 2013 and a 2014 verbal) they might pull the Jarvis offer. He likes ISU and if there is nothing better on the table by next fall he will grab the offer while it is still hot

@isurecruitlists: 2014 Reid Travis had 18 points, 11 rebounds and 2015 Jarvis Johnson had 15 points for DeLaSalle (MN) in a win today, via @tchoopsczar.

Go Gophers!!

His sister is starting there 2013, He and his Mother raved about the visit. So unless he blows up over the summer I think he will Grab the ISU offer. If ISU gets another pg ( they have a 2013 and a 2014 verbal) they might pull the Jarvis offer. He likes ISU and if there is nothing better on the table by next fall he will grab the offer while it is still hot

So basically it's pure speculation on your part and you don't actually know anything first hand? Sounds about right.

Tyus Jones, Ken Novak, THE SCOUT!, Twin City Hoops Czar, Pump N Run Staff, were all at The De vs Eden Prairie Game at a De Gym that was so packed to the max that the fire marshall had to halt ticket sales before the game started. Travis overcame double and triple teaming by a contingent of very Physical Eden Prairie football players who also play hoops to lead De to victory. Travis had a strong second half and finished with 18points,11 boards, and 4 blocks. Jarvis with 15 and displayed some high end handles and some slick dimes. Physical game with 64 attempted free throws

The De gym was indeed packed! EP bottled up Travis for much of the first half, rotating physical football players on him. I thought Sheifer was extremely instrumental in making EP go. Second half was a bit different. The De pressure and intensity wore out EP. Travis began getting things rolling and impacted the game offensively and defensively. The key to this game however was Jarvis. He handled pressure well, made key plays and got others involved. I was really impressed.

Well here goes your play making ability and athleticism.

Go Gophers!

Should hire a shooting instructor this summer to get his jump shot up to par. If he can learn to starting drilling 3s and combine that with his big time handle as well as his quickness going left or right off the dribble he will close to Tyus

Well here goes your play making ability and athleticism.

Go Gophers!

That was one of the first highlight videos in a long time that I didn't skim over in 15 - 20 seconds. Kid is a magician with the ball and can jump out of the gym at 6'1". Why the H E L L does he not even have a Minnesota offer right now?? Oh wait, I know.

@isurecruitlists: Notre Dame will be watching 2014 Reid Travis & 2015 Jarvis Johnson this evening at DeLaSalle (MN) per their coach.

Go Gophers!!

Jarvis will be playing AAU for Howard Pulley's 17U EYBL team along with his DeLaSalle teammate Reid Travis.

GopherHole tweet: #Gophers Richard Pitino continued his busy recruiting schedule, adding meetings with @Bigjarv12 (DeLaSalle) and @JakeWright_20 (Hopkins).

Go Gophers!!

I saw Jarvis and Reid in a dunk contest at De on Friday night. They were 1 and 2 among about eight local high school guys. The kid can jump out of the gym. I don't evaluate 15 year old basketball players for a living, but he is an incredibly athletic kid and sure looks like a high D-1 player, and he beat Reid in the dunk contest fair and square. Time to make sure he has an offer on the table.

Gophers Offer PG Jarvis Johnson

Per Ryan James

Minnesota has offered DeLaSalle/Howard Pulley point guard Jarvis Johnson. Coach Pitino offered Jarvis last night.
7:22 p.m. Tue, Apr 23

Go Gophers!

Top Bottom