All Things Jarvis Johnson Thread

Jarvis last game was HP EYBL's run came to an end at the Super Showcase after losing to a very good Alabama Challenge 64-53. In the loss Sam Neumann delivered 21pts/10reb/2ast, Bjorn Broman 10pts/4reb/3ast, Brock Bertram 8pts/3reb, Jarvis Johnson 5pts/2reb/2ast, Ish . Fact is Jarvis is a project, stats do not lie. You got shooting % issues and assists to turnover issues.

So, you're basing this off one game? Interesting.

So, you're basing this off one game? Interesting.
Obviously not my good man. Simply corrected poster who erred on Jarvs stats for last 5 games. JJ did pick it up in last tourney... with Alex out, Coffey and Anim skipping , Jarv got more PT and was called upon to produce more. For EYBL Jarv averaged about 8ppg, 35% fg, 9 for 61 from 3 point range 15%, 60% FT, and 2 assists and 2 turnovers per game. The Big Ten is a big step up from EYBL. Jarv's EYBL coach had him on a short leash and quite frankly did not give him the PT expected of a player with his impressive offer list . Check Jarv out at Dunk contest tonight in Waconia.

Obviously not my good man. Simply corrected poster who erred on Jarvs stats for last 5 games. JJ did pick it up in last tourney... with Alex out, Coffey and Anim skipping , Jarv got more PT and was called upon to produce more. For EYBL Jarv averaged about 8ppg, 35% fg, 9 for 61 from 3 point range 15%, 60% FT, and 2 assists and 2 turnovers per game. The Big Ten is a big step up from EYBL. Jarv's EYBL coach had him on a short leash and quite frankly did not give him the PT expected of a player with his impressive offer list . Check Jarv out at Dunk contest tonight in Waconia.

You make many good points. And while it's true, the EYBL is a long way from the B1G, it's closer than any other tournament/league. In youth basketball, you won't find more talent anywhere else .

Johnson is an athlete, but he has holes in his game, like most players. He simply has a few more than people originally thought. He needs to learn how to shoot, take better shots, and take care of the ball. Do those three things well, and he will be a very good player.

Johnson is an athlete, but he has holes in his game, like most players. He simply has a few more than people originally thought. He needs to learn how to shoot, take better shots, and take care of the ball. Do those three things well, and he will be a very good player.

He really needs to square up better when he shoots. Takes too many off balanced J’s. I think that is the #1 thing he needs to work on.

per Amelia's Q&A:

@danob11: @AmeliaRayno It's nice that Jarvis Johnson will stay home (big fan of his), but he's not a high scorer - what's his role with the Gophers?

I think, like the other two guards Minnesota nabbed for the 2015 class (Dupree McBrayer and Kevin Dorsey), Johnson will be asked to take somewhat of a hybrid role. The good news is, there is a ton of depth, so the pressure isn't up on any one of those freshmen. Johnson will likely play some at point and some off the ball, and of course be expected to improve on the defensive end, grab the long rebounds and find his teammates in transition.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/277904941.html

Go Gophers!!

Yeah JJ's shooting is pretty bad but his overall athleticism, defense, and hard work will help the gophers out tremendously. I feel that JJ is only going to get better from here on out. I am def not one of the sour badger fans that is going to downplay JJ's game because I do feel he has huge upside, however AI's game fits badgers offense better. Still would have loved to have JJ.

Are you talking about AAU Johnson or DLS Johnson? DLS Johnson was very selective shooting and was content to set up teammates for the past 3 years. AAU ball is always a crapshoot filled with terrible shots and very individualistic. I've seen a few DLS games over the past few years and have always noticed how much restraint he plays with when he could really get his shot off whenever he wants.

Yeah JJ's shooting is pretty bad but his overall athleticism, defense, and hard work will help the gophers out tremendously. I feel that JJ is only going to get better from here on out. I am def not one of the sour badger fans that is going to downplay JJ's game because I do feel he has huge upside, however AI's game fits badgers offense better. Still would have loved to have JJ.

I agree AI fits that system better and I think JJ fits ours better.

But I feel JJ could have been a Jordan Taylor type of player for the Badgers, as well as a Taylor like loss for the Gophers if he went over there.

per Shooter:

Gophers-bound combo guard Jarvis Johnson of DeLaSalle, considered the Mr. Basketball Minnesota favorite this season, hit seven three-pointers in his final game last week and ended up leading the Hardwood Elite fall league in scoring at the Colin Powell Center in Minneapolis. DeLaSalle, under coach Dave Thorson, will be seeking its fourth straight state championship.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...ters-chandler-harnish-has-high-praise-gophers

Go Gophers!!

Sounds like some pretty bad shooting alright... Imagine if he can lock down some dead eye shooting to compliment his ability to drive the lane and take it to the basket strong - pretty tough inside/out match up.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Yeah, I'm getting a "Royce White" vibe from Jarvis. And by "Royce White" I mean hometown hero that is going to actively recruit his fellow in-state buddies. Royce did that well, getting Rodney to sign on after he committed early on. Jarvis isn't a knucklehead like Royce, so it should turn out a lot better! :)

Yeah, I'm getting a "Royce White" vibe from Jarvis. And by "Royce White" I mean hometown hero that is going to actively recruit his fellow in-state buddies. Royce did that well, getting Rodney to sign on after he committed early on. Jarvis isn't a knucklehead like Royce, so it should turn out a lot better! :)

I agree. Kid seems like a natural leader and a great influence for the program.

Recent highlights of Jarvis in this video, which was also posted in the Hurt thread:

Go Gophers!!

Damn, I can't wait for the next three years when we have the Jarvis, Dorsey, and Mason 3-headed monster in the back court.

WCCO: Jarvis Johnson Had A Heart Attack In 8th Grade, Now He’s A Promising Point Guard

And, oh yeah, Johnson’s also a heart attack survivor.

The healthy-looking athlete collapsed during a game in 8th grade, and he almost didn’t come back.

“I can recall waking up in the hospital, you know, and my grandma telling me, ‘Jarvis, you died,'” he said. “And just hearing that was so devastating, because that’s not something a kid, a 14-year-old, hears every day.”

His heart condition has been corrected, and next season he will play for his local team.

He says the Gopher program suits his style.

“I think he couldn’t have made a better college choice than the University of Minnesota,” Thorson said.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/...in-8th-grade-now-hes-a-promising-point-guard/

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

GopherHole Q&A: Jarvis Johnson Working for 4th State Title, Looking Forward to Playing With Mason, McBrayer and Dorsey

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/470873?referrer_id=388419

Great to see there is a little fire and competitive nature from Jarvis. In this day of instant communication channels still hasn't reached out to Dorsey after both having committed months ago but has spoken to the other recruits who play different positions. Surely not be coincidence...;)

Great to see there is a little fire and competitive nature from Jarvis. In this day of instant communication channels still hasn't reached out to Dorsey after both having committed months ago but has spoken to the other recruits who play different positions. Surely not be coincidence...;)

I thought I read somewhere that Dorsey doesn't do the twitter communications stuff. I may be recalling this wrong but I believe that might be the deal.

I thought I read somewhere that Dorsey doesn't do the twitter communications stuff. I may be recalling this wrong but I believe that might be the deal.

Dorsey is very active on twitter.

Top Bottom