All Things Jarvis Johnson Thread

Yeah, I don't think anyone knows. It really looks like they don't. These things usually get plugged into a formula for insurers and the answer gets spit out. I don't think there is much nuance or art that goes into that process. So it's hard for me to imagine anything has changed since he wasn't cleared.

It's really a shame either way. If he's genuinely not healthy enough to play, that's awful. If it's some insurance red tape, that's a shame.

I am a huge football fan. I grew up playing and I've been a Gopher season ticket holder for years. That won't change. However, you can't tell me that Jarvis's decision to play basketball is a more dangerous decision (health-wise) than any of the guys playing football. Football is dangerous. There are players on our current roster who are going to have major health issues for their entire life because of football or the impact football has on the body. It's a face. Yet, they're all allowed to play.

It is much more dangerous in the essence that it could kill him instantly due to obstruction of blood flow from his heart to the body. Exercise, particularly strenuous exercise, can instantly kill him and there's no way of knowing when. Physician recommendation for this condition commonly is, regardless of your fitness level or athletic status, to stop strenuous exercise

Right, but in those cases we're talking about perhaps a shortened life or lower quality of life. We're talking about joints and ligaments and tendons and concussions. In this case, we're talking about a vital organ. He could quite easily die on the court

I think it is safe to say that Jarvis understands his health and his ability to play. If he wanted to play and the U was being unfairly conservative then he could look elsewhere. The fact he hasn't means the following:
1. He has accepted the reality of his health or
2. He has explored other opportunities and they don't exist or he doesn't want to take them.

It is a sad story (not that sad, he seems like a good kid and he is getting a good education for free) but it is what it is.

I thought Pitino allowed him to remain on scholarship through this year. So now if he wants to remain with the team next year, he will have to pay his own way?

I thought Pitino allowed him to remain on scholarship through this year. So now if he wants to remain with the team next year, he will have to pay his own way?

I thought I read somewhere that they can put him on Academic scholarship for the remaining years.

I thought I read somewhere that they can put him on Academic scholarship for the remaining years.

I'm not sure it's technically an academic scholarship, but like an athletic scholarship that doesn't count against our allotment of 13, since he's effectively retiring due to medical concerns.

I'm not sure it's technically an academic scholarship, but like an athletic scholarship that doesn't count against our allotment of 13, since he's effectively retiring due to medical concerns.

That is correct. Medical waiver so he can keep his scholarship, but it doesn't count against the team limit.

That is correct. Medical waiver so he can keep his scholarship, but it doesn't count against the team limit.

I'm assuming that would no longer be the case if he was cleared to play?

Yes, but barring a cure i don't think the U doctors are going to change their assessment on a degenerative condition.

And there is no and will be no cure in this situation barring a full on heart transplant

And there is no and will be no cure in this situation barring a full on heart transplant

Funny how you guys know so much about JJ's health.

Just let it play out and stop speculating on things you can't know and unless you are a doctor, can't really understand.

Funny how you guys know so much about JJ's health.

Just let it play out and stop speculating on things you can't know and unless you are a doctor, can't really understand.

There is no cure for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Which is what he has and is known. So.... yeah that's why they're scared to clear him

There is no cure for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Which is what he has and is known. So.... yeah that's why they're scared to clear him

Yes, but the Mayor played many years with it and Jarvis still hoops anyway.

Yes, but the Mayor played many years with it and Jarvis still hoops anyway.

As mentioned above, if Johnson believed he can and should be playing D1 hoops, wouldn't he just find a school that would let him do so?

A couple of years ago Ohio State determined a football player wasn't worth his scholarship and so they put him on medical hardship waiver against his wishes. He went on to play at Auburn.

Top Bottom