All Things Jarvis Johnson Thread

That video shows exactly why his offers stand even after such a rough spring. Can't teach athletic ability or handles like that. Ridiculous.

It's kind of crazy how well Jarvis would complement Dorsey and vice versa. I think we'd see a lot of Dorsey to Jarvis alley oops. I actually could even see us going small ball with Dorsey, Jarvis, and Mason (playing a trapping zone) because they all bring something a little different. Dorsey is the speedy distributor, Mason is the good shooter, and Johnson is the athletic freak and all are good ball handlers.

Unless Whitt pulls the trigger first I think Jarvis will stay home. We need one of them.

Unless Whitt pulls the trigger first I think Jarvis will stay home. We need one of them.

Whitt will not be pulling to trigger on Minnesota before Jarvis would make a decision... No way.

Whitt will not be pulling to trigger on Minnesota before Jarvis would make a decision... No way.

I hope you're wrong as I really like Whitt and while I like Jarvis I don't love him like I loved the Dorsey signing. I feel he isn't a "perfect" fit, however he will be good wherever he goes.

Love Whitt, but he never seems to mention Minnesota in interviews. I won't take him seriously as a recruit unless he comes for an official visit.

I hope you're wrong as I really like Whitt and while I like Jarvis I don't love him like I loved the Dorsey signing. I feel he isn't a "perfect" fit, however he will be good wherever he goes.

If Jarvis can improve his jumper, he'll be perfect. He's got the size, speed, athleticism, ball handling and playmaking... that all goes a long way. I don't mean to minimize how much work that will take, but if he can be a 35%+ 3 point shooter, we'd be in great shape with him.

If Jarvis can improve his jumper, he'll be perfect. He's got the size, speed, athleticism, ball handling and playmaking... that all goes a long way. I don't mean to minimize how much work that will take, but if he can be a 35%+ 3 point shooter, we'd be in great shape with him.

I would agree with that. My concerns are with his/the teams ability to stretch the defense. Now if Martin can be a 4 with some range and lofton is a lights out shooter, we could probably handle having less shooting from the 1 and 2. But I don't know those things for sure.

I really hope I'm wrong too, but I just don't see Whitt coming here as his offers keep pouring in and his stock keeps rising. Plus, if Jarvis does commit here I feel like it'll be before Whitt makes any decision and after that I don't see the Gophers staff going hard after someone who has so many others schools going after him with longer & better relationships.

I would agree with that. My concerns are with his/the teams ability to stretch the defense. Now if Martin can be a 4 with some range and lofton is a lights out shooter, we could probably handle having less shooting from the 1 and 2. But I don't know those things for sure.

Absolutely, that's my biggest fear too. Dorsey is an OK shooter though, Mason is a very good shooter, and Lofton is pretty good.

But just think about trying to protect the paint against an attack of Dorsey, Jarvis and Lofton, especially if Jarvis can improve his 3 point shot. Every one of those guys can beat their man off the dribble and move the defense.

Second time I've seen the comment that "Mason is a VERY GOOD shooter". Are we basing that off of one all star game? If memory serves me right wasn't he less of a scorer at Arlington Day?

Second time I've seen the comment that "Mason is a VERY GOOD shooter". Are we basing that off of one all star game? If memory serves me right wasn't he less of a scorer at Arlington Day?

What are you basing him not being a good shooter on? From everything I've read, he is a good shooter.

I didn't say he wasn't a good shooter.

Where have you read that he was a good shooter?

Here is ESPN's scouting report:

ESPN Analyst
Updated 01/28/2014
Strengths:
Mason can flat out get buckets. He is confident and plays in full attack mode on the offensive end of the floor. Mason gets to the rim on the break or can stop and pop for three on a dime. Mid range pull ups from the crossover, rythum dribble jumpers with three point range. Mason makes scoring look easy. He has a tight handle and can deliver the ball to an open teammate when he draws multiple defenders when he moves on the ball.

Here is ESPN's scouting report:

Thank you.

Cherry Picking box scores he didn't seem like the affluent scorer some were making him out to be lately. I recalled him being streaky and sometimes non existent on the point end of the box score. I like me some Mason, dont get me wrong, I just never thought of him as a 35% 3pt shooter. This makes me more comfortable if we ended up bringing in a Jarvis as he and Dorsey, while not terrible 3pt shooters, probably aren't consistent threats from down town.

These are obviously highlights, so he's going to look good, but you can tell he has good form and is really comfortable shooting off the dribble (which is a good attribute for a PG).

These are obviously highlights, so he's going to look good, but you can tell he has good form and is really comfortable shooting off the dribble (which is a good attribute for a PG).

No doubt Madtown, I think you're right, he's a good shooter. I for some reason recalled seeing a lot of less than stellar box scores from Mason during the HS season. I tried reviewing this thread to find what I remembered, however, looks like I was wrong there as well as there were maybe 1 or 2 games where he didn't have 20 points.

I like him more than I did before, and he's always been the guy I looked forward to the most.

No doubt Madtown, I think you're right, he's a good shooter. I for some reason recalled seeing a lot of less than stellar box scores from Mason during the HS season. I tried reviewing this thread to find what I remembered, however, looks like I was wrong there as well as there were maybe 1 or 2 games where he didn't have 20 points.

I like him more than I did before, and he's always been the guy I looked forward to the most.

Mods, the Mason discussion has nothing to do with Jarvis

Mods, the Mason discussion has nothing to do with Jarvis

MODS :'( !!!!!

Actually yes it does/did. We got on the subject based on whether or not Jarvis's lower rated shooting ability could be made up elsewhere. Should the conversation continue and take over the thread? no, and I dont think it will. But this is a discussion board, and discussions move.

Jarvis is a key, key recruit for us. He's so athletic, I think the player you see today is a shadow of what he's going to be in 2 or 3 years. It would be so huge to get his commitment after the Peach Jam, and have our backcourt locked up before fall even starts.

Thank you.

Cherry Picking box scores he didn't seem like the affluent scorer some were making him out to be lately. I recalled him being streaky and sometimes non existent on the point end of the box score. I like me some Mason, dont get me wrong, I just never thought of him as a 35% 3pt shooter. This makes me more comfortable if we ended up bringing in a Jarvis as he and Dorsey, while not terrible 3pt shooters, probably aren't consistent threats from down town.

His HS team was stacked,

Jarvis is a key, key recruit for us. He's so athletic, I think the player you see today is a shadow of what he's going to be in 2 or 3 years. It would be so huge to get his commitment after the Peach Jam, and have our backcourt locked up before fall even starts.

I just don't think he is a PG, if you have PG that can shoot from the outside pairing Jarvis would make the lineup hard to guard, Johnson is great on the open floor, penetrates nicely, great passer in the lane, gets to the basket, I just haven't gotten the impression he can run an offense, may grow into the role but I haven't seen it.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>G Jarvis Johnson (<a href="https://twitter.com/MuhneyyChief_12">@MuhneyyChief_12</a>): 20 PTS, 3 REB for Howard Pulley vs Houston Hoops <a href="https://twitter.com/PulleyHoops">@PulleyHoops</a> <a href="http://t.co/7xPchSh2E6">http://t.co/7xPchSh2E6</a></p>— The EYBL Circuit (@D1Circuit) <a href="https://twitter.com/D1Circuit/statuses/490507560730890240">July 19, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pretty good game for Jarvis.

Channel 5: Johnson on Recent Gophers Visit: 'I Enjoyed It'

Class of 2015 DeLaSalle combo guard Jarvis Johnson is having a stellar summer playing AAU for Howard Pulley. In between practices and games, Johnson is sifting through his numerous college offers. The Gophers want him badly. So does Wisconsin, Michigan State, Wichita State, and many more.

Johnson recently took an unofficial visit to Minnesota's campus, further cementing his relationship with assistant Ben Johnson (also went to DeLaSalle) and coach Richard Pitino.

http://kstp.com/sports/stories/S3508732.shtml

Go Gophers!!

Class of 2015 DeLaSalle combo guard Jarvis Johnson is having a stellar summer playing AAU for Howard Pulley. In between practices and games, Johnson is sifting through his numerous college offers. The Gophers want him badly. So does Wisconsin, Michigan State, Wichita State, and many more.

Johnson recently took an unofficial visit to Minnesota's campus, further cementing his relationship with assistant Ben Johnson (also went to DeLaSalle) and coach Richard Pitino.

Go Gophers!!

I did not like that quote from the video "People say there is not a reason why i wouldn't go there but it's just that i want to see other places first before i commit if i do commit to the University of Minnesota."

I did not like that quote from the video "People say there is not a reason why i wouldn't go there but it's just that i want to see other places first before i commit if i do commit to the University of Minnesota."

Why? That seems like a pretty rational way of thinking. Hard to blame the kid for wanting to make a few comparisons.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. He acknowledges that a lot of people say there is no reason he shouldn't go to the U and he was just being straight forward by saying "it's just that I want to see other places first." I know when I made my college decision I looked at 8 or 9 schools before deciding which place was best for me

Go Gophers!!

Nice feature by KSTP! Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom